New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-10-2023, 10:10 PM   #7371
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I feel for officers when they respond to domestic or mental break calls. Nothing fun about that. As someone who was subjected to severe pain and meds for an extended time in a hospital and had a psychotic break I get it how hard it is to handle this stuff. I am not a bad person but at the time I was convinced they were trying to kill me.

I am only a normal size and over 60 and yet had I resisted with the strength of that mental break the hospital orderlies would have had to use serious force to control me. Luckily deep inside I guess there was still a part of me that knew the people around me weren't really trying to kill me and roast me. So I never forced hands on restraint.

I got no answer to your question. I think police have a role in responding to mentally ill violent people. Who else? Restraints are obviously the answer. And sadly if someone is in that state AND armed (even "just" a knife) you may have to use deadly force. Not a happy outcome but better than 3 dead civilians and one cop hesitant to use their firearm when a lunatic approaches inside the safe distance of a person with a knife.

I think there is no perfect answer unless we want to invest in lots of special units trained and equipped to handle specifically mentally ill people.
Thank you for this post and for sharing some of your personal experiences and struggles. I feel like we learned something significant about you that helps us fully understand your perspective. Much appreciated......and I'm glad that things are seemingly much better for you now than they were for you then.

Appreciate 2
jamesinaz1819.00
BMWGUYinCO4300.00
      02-10-2023, 10:36 PM   #7372
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thank you for this post and for sharing some of your personal experiences and struggles. I feel like we learned something significant about you that helps us fully understand your perspective. Much appreciated......and I'm glad that things are seemingly much better for you now than they were for you then.

Thanks. After 3 months in hospital the doctor told my wife I'd be OK to come home in a day or two. She looked at him like "he's fucking nuts dude". They sent me to a physical rehab place since I was too weak to walk after 3 months on my back without eating. The mental issues cleared after one night away from the hospital with a closed door and no beeping or interruptions. No drugs and real sleep cured me.

I would suggest to anyone with a loved in on the hospital that reports seeing things to take it seriously. it is very real to them. I believe it is common for people whose kidney is an issue (and all my organs had shut down including the kidney which took the longest to come back online).
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26687.00
CamasM3e933484.00
      02-13-2023, 03:48 AM   #7373
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
When you hit SoCal, let’s try to coordinate a lunch get-together with the other Bimmerpost members in the area.

Yeah, that'll be great, lets get in touch to this when the time will coming closer.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      02-13-2023, 12:54 PM   #7374
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
When you hit SoCal, let’s try to coordinate a lunch get-together with the other Bimmerpost members in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Yeah, that'll be great, lets get in touch to this when the time will coming closer.
I'm in!! As long as it's not a Sunday...
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26687.00
Dang3r12482.50
      02-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #7375
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Have y’all dealt with many domestic violence cases?
Domestic violence cases are an every day occurrence in the field. On average, we probably respond to AT LEAST five domestic violence calls a day between romantic partners, and I’m not even including the domestic cases involving family members.

Quote:
What would be your advice for someone trapped who has been threatened? For example, the partner said: “If you leave me then I will kill myself.”
That is a manipulative approach and it’s all about controlling the other person regardless of whether or not there’s true intent behind the threat. At some point he’s going to have to make the hard decision to leave for his own mental and emotional health.

Quote:
Helping a friend build an escape plan from his abusive partner. He has been financially controlled, isolated from his family, and attacked a few times by her.
There is no “escape plan”…..and there’s no easy way out. It will be a “rip off the band-aid” moment. It will get worse before it gets better.

Quote:
This has gone on for many years and he opened up about his unhappiness for the first time the other day.
See my above responses. It will remain cyclical until he’s ready to make a hard decision. I don’t mean this to sound callous, but her mental health is not his concern at this point (…if he values his own quality of life).

Quote:
At the moment I have told him to keep the car tank full and facing the exit of his driveway. Also to try and remove important documents from the home.
The document suggestion was smart advice, but he needs to be thinking about the financial ramifications, etc. as well. They are married, so it isn’t as simple as two unmarried people separating. He needs to start building a safety net.

P.S. He needs to get to a place where he can manage the potential guilt he might experience should she make good on her threats when/if he leaves. Like I said, this will get worse before it gets better................unfortunately.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-15-2023 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Buug95921527.00
      02-15-2023, 07:10 PM   #7376
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Speaking of domestic violence calls/cases between romantic partners, here’s the third call in the last two hours:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 08:19 AM   #7377
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2017 F25 2003 E85

Sorry officer, could not help you.

I stopped at the very front, on the red light.
There were cars on the left and the right side of me.
The police car with siren came behind my car.

I am sorry officer, unless one of you came out from your car and stopped all the cars from other directions, I could not help you out.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 05:01 PM   #7378
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2021 View Post
I stopped at the very front, on the red light.
There were cars on the left and the right side of me.
The police car with siren came behind my car.

I am sorry officer, unless one of you came out from your car and stopped all the cars from other directions, I could not help you out.
Is this a question or scenario you want a response to?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 03:14 PM   #7379
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ yes
      02-22-2023, 04:34 PM   #7380
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ yes
We would go around. I don’t think any officer/deputy expects a car to pull into traffic. Imagine the lawsuit should that person get involved in a collision and get injured/killed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:56 PM   #7381
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Is this a question or scenario you want a response to?!?!?
I was saying yes to your first question, not answering what this person should do. Sorry for messing up your valuable thread
      02-23-2023, 05:59 PM   #7382
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I was saying yes to your first question, not answering what this person should do. Sorry for messing up your valuable thread
Don't be silly Wedeman. You're all good!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 06:00 PM   #7383
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 06:28 PM   #7384
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Interesting. There's a bunch of moving parts in that video, and while I don't purport to know how every agency in every state handles certain crimes, that situation could've been handled a bit better (..in terms of crime scene management, etc.). The body camera does not show everything the human eye observes on scene, and a person with a rifle is [or can be] both a mental health crisis AND a potentially deadly situation for the officers (..and it could result in deadly force). I do think the father agitated officers, but I do think the officer(s) shouldn't have fed into it; the father roped them in with his behavior.

People do things and ask for "attention" from officers, then get upset when they get it (..and then want to play the victim). I've had it happen to me and I gave that person the attention they wanted. In one case, in particular, that same person nearly threatened the judge in court because he didn't get his way. Yeah! #truecolors

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-23-2023 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:09 PM   #7385
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. There's a bunch of moving parts in that video, and while I don't purport to know how every agency in every state handles certain crimes, that situation could've been handled a bit better (..in terms of crime scene management, etc.). The body camera does not show everything the human eye observes on scene, and a person with a rifle is [or can be] both a mental health crisis AND a potentially deadly situation for the officers (..and it could result in deadly force). I do think the father agitated officers, but I do think the officer(s) shouldn't have fed into it; the father roped them in with his behavior.

People do things and ask for "attention" from officers, then get upset when they get it (..and then want to play the victim). I've had it happen to me and I gave that person the attention they wanted. In one case, in particular, that same person nearly threatened the judge in court because he didn't get his way. Yeah! #truecolors

Agreed. look if I role up in front of cops who are already at my house with a gun, I am likely to get shot.

the whole exchange with the other cop, should have been handled more professionally.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      02-23-2023, 09:14 PM   #7386
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Today's rain begs a question...

Do you guys write fewer tickets on rainy days like today?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:19 PM   #7387
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I live in a township outside princeton, back in the day cops always used to pull people over for minor traffic infaractions. Now I rarely see anyone pulled over, or any type of speed enforcement. Ideas why?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:29 PM   #7388
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I live in a township outside princeton, back in the day cops always used to pull people over for minor traffic infaractions. Now I rarely see anyone pulled over, or any type of speed enforcement. Ideas why?
Lack of department morale. It's the infractions everybody deems as "minor" that lead to the big busts or us catching a wanted felon. In many cases the irony is the most rewarding. People who are the most outspoken about pre-text traffic stops are the first to want us to "do something" when they become a victim. Example: "Stupid cops! Always writing stop sign and red light tickets. Why don't you go catch real criminals!!??"

....and then they get their car smashed up by somebody running a stop sign or red light and all of a sudden they want us to write reports and take licenses.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 09:33 PM   #7389
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Today's rain begs a question...

Do you guys write fewer tickets on rainy days like today?
I write more. My tolerance for wacky driving is lower on rainy days.
Appreciate 3
T0RM3NT4436.50
      02-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #7390
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Lack of department morale. It's the infractions everybody deems as "minor" that lead to the big busts or us catching a wanted felon. In many cases the irony is the most rewarding. People who are the most outspoken about pre-text traffic stops are the first to want us to "do something" when they become a victim. Example: "Stupid cops! Always writing stop sign and red light tickets. Why don't you go catch real criminals!!??"

....and then they get their car smashed up by somebody running a stop sign or red light and all of a sudden they want us to write reports and take licenses.
my local cops let me drive with my tints and no front plate so thats about the only slack i want. Other than that I pretty much obey every single traffic law.

the people who complain consequently only do it when its benefits them. I am on a 25mph being tailgated by a string of soccer moms because I am literally going 25, why? because my car is a cop magnet.

these same people will write 5 paragraph essays that someone was flying down the road while they were dropping off their kids during school.

rinse and repeat

same people who drive with their high beams on at night
and left lane camp
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan26687.00
cmyx6go16631.50
Dino GT35063.50
      02-23-2023, 09:47 PM   #7391
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
my local cops let me drive with my tints and no front plate so thats about the only slack i want. Other than that I pretty much obey every single traffic law.

the people who complain consequently only do it when its benefits them. I am on a 25mph being tailgated by a string of soccer moms because I am literally going 25, why? because my car is a cop magnet.

these same people will write 5 paragraph essays that someone was flying down the road while they were dropping off their kids during school.

rinse and repeat

same people who drive with their high beams on at night
and left lane camp
It's an interesting phenomenon, isn't it?!?! I still haven't quite figured out the human psyche as it pertains to this behavior.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 06:08 AM   #7392
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I work a little north of you in Central NJ. There used to be the regular spots where the Troopers would hide. They have been mostly non existent since lockdown and I haven't seen them come back.