New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #45
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Drives: X6 50i

two words.... Insurance Fraud.

Can't steal a 2011 BMW in 8 minutes without the key. Tell you brother to enjoy his new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #46
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Man... pas tres nice!

Did you brother have the Boomerang Spy System (or something like that?) My dad has that on his 9974S. Basically, the car won't start unless it has this other Boomerang keychain within 1 foot or less of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #47
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
no he didnt have that part
it was such a hassle to carry that huge ball everywhere on the E90 335i we had...
but either way, they jammed all the signals cuz iDrive couldn't locate it or whatevever. So I'm sure they would have found a way around that.. these guys were obviously pro and they knew what they were doing

@NYC, but that's the thing, the guy just unlocked the car and walked in.. it was messed up
the cops were like "uh.. show us the 2 keys please" and my bro went home and came back with the spare that he keeps in his safe.. so that's what got us freaked.. I mean the car was targetted.. it was a pro job
      12-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #48
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep

Drives: Vorsteiner e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Well if it comes to Lebanon, the guy picking it up is a dead man...
badna nrou2
      12-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #49
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
no he didnt have that part
it was such a hassle to carry that huge ball everywhere on the E90 335i we had...
but either way, they jammed all the signals cuz iDrive couldn't locate it or whatevever. So I'm sure they would have found a way around that.. these guys were obviously pro and they knew what they were doing

@NYC, but that's the thing, the guy just unlocked the car and walked in.. it was messed up
the cops were like "uh.. show us the 2 keys please" and my bro went home and came back with the spare that he keeps in his safe.. so that's what got us freaked.. I mean the car was targetted.. it was a pro job
Yeah, my dad HATES that huge thing. I guess he could just lose that part, as we are in Quebec City, not Mtl
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #50
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
sux man, def a pro. probably safe to say the car is long gone
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #51
mike5411
Rep

Drives: Not a BMW... Yet

If it wasn't for the security footage, I would of said they probably just got a flatbed and towed it away. But that is unreal that they just drove it away. They had to be casing the car for a while then.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #52
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 Space Gray

I doubt someone would steal, than drive such a noticeable car...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #53
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Drives: rs

Since you've only had it for a few months, do you think someone at the Canadian shipping port made a copy of the key? You'll be surprised at the aftermarket technology coming out of Germany.

Also, give BMW Germany a call. IIRC, a BMW SA told me they keep 2 spare keys for every BMW made in the last 7 years at a warehouse. See if someone pretended to be the owner/dealer and ordered in a copy.

Good luck man. Such a shame to be honest. It's a beautiful car. Hope shit like this doesnt happen to our rental car when we visit Ottawa in a few weeks...

Oh ps: my bet is that it is on its way to the middle east (probably Lebanon or UAE from what I have heard over the last 10 years) in a container, since so many nice cars here in Aus have been sent there. PM for full disclosed info.. I may or may not have some leads. Other scenario is they've cut out your Vin number and you'll find it soon in pieces or burnt out.. although I doubt they'd go to that much trouble just for a Vin.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #54
py335
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 AW E90 335i

that sucks so much man. i hope everything ends up working out
      12-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #55
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Since you've only had it for a few months, do you think someone at the Canadian shipping port made a copy of the key? You'll be surprised at the aftermarket technology coming out of Germany.

Also, give BMW Germany a call. IIRC, a BMW SA told me they keep 2 spare keys for every BMW made in the last 7 years at a warehouse. See if someone pretended to be the owner/dealer and ordered in a copy.

Good luck man. Such a shame to be honest. It's a beautiful car. Hope shit like this doesnt happen to our rental car when we visit Ottawa in a few weeks...

Oh ps: my bet is that it is on its way to the middle east (probably Lebanon or UAE from what I have heard over the last 10 years) in a container, since so many nice cars here in Aus have been sent there. PM for full disclosed info.. I may or may not have some leads. Other scenario is they've cut out your Vin number and you'll find it soon in pieces or burnt out.. although I doubt they'd go to that much trouble just for a Vin.
Hard to pretend to be the owner.

When I lost my key and wanted it replaced... I had to send a title, drivers license and registration for the car... ! Could be though, beings that it may have been one of the dealership employees coning to replace for a customer...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #56
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
OK here are some facts:

To unlock the car (remotely) all you need is a pre-programmed key fob without that pre-cut metal key that is inserted in the fob. The unlock/lock will work without that key. Also car can be started without that metal key. To program the fob all you need is a VIN. (I ordered a new fob all I gave them was my VIN so I know.)

So all that those thieves needed was your bro's VIN which is 100% visible from outside on the dash.

I know that VIN to fob coding software has to be very confidential and all, but apparently it is very accessible.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #57
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

time for a background check for BMW employees needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #58
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Shit, it looks like BMW employees aren't happy with just stealing parts - they've moved on to stealing the whole damn car
      12-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #59
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
two words.... Insurance Fraud.

Can't steal a 2011 BMW in 8 minutes without the key. Tell you brother to enjoy his new car.
he said they have camera footage though? OP, do you have footage of a camera aimed at the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #60
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
are you seriously giving props to car thieves?
WTF is wrong with you man?

no.. he's a dead man if it comes here
he'll go into the container instead of the car.. You run out of air pretty damn fast in there...
DAMN is that why my cargo never survives? Human trafficking is a hard business.

j/k sorry your bro got jacked.

on related note, i remember another thread where we talked about how a celebrity (some athlete iirc) got his armored x5 or x6 stolen by what sounds like the same method.

EDIT: just checked, it was Beckham's x5.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #61
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ....

my buddy was in toronto from out of town and was driving a high end rental ( i think lexus maybe)

he put his briefcase in the trunk , which had money, passport and a bunch of other important documents . went to get a coffee, came out 4 min later and the trunk was open and his briefcase was gone. he 100% locked it as he said he pushed the lock button 3 times (not twice)

found out some guy in that area has some sort of a scanner that can read codes. he simply copied the code and opened the door.

police said he was probably standing outside somewhere having a smoke and was waiting . it had happened a few times over the last 2 months.

my friend was stuck here for weeks as he needed to get the embassy involved due to no passport. it was a huge big pain in the ass
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #62
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
my buddy was in toronto from out of town and was driving a high end rental ( i think lexus maybe)

he put his briefcase in the trunk , which had money, passport and a bunch of other important documents . went to get a coffee, came out 4 min later and the trunk was open and his briefcase was gone. he 100% locked it as he said he pushed the lock button 3 times (not twice)

found out some guy in that area has some sort of a scanner that can read codes. he simply copied the code and opened the door.

police said he was probably standing outside somewhere having a smoke and was waiting . it had happened a few times over the last 2 months.

my friend was stuck here for weeks as he needed to get the embassy involved due to no passport. it was a huge big pain in the ass
learned my lesson from that shit....keep the important stuff on you at all times.
all a thief needs is literally 1 minute
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #63
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
exactly. i guess they have a program or a script that grabs the code and then sends it to the car and unlocks the doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #64
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Damnnn.... happened in Nun's island too...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #65
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Sorry to hear. Not just the Middle East wants cars like this, have a relative that lives in Eastern Europe, big market for luxury SUV's there.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #66
sour d's
First Lieutenant
China
Rep

Drives: ///M3

That's why I never valet my cars, it could be that a valet has inside connect with BMW, he takes your bro's registration, make a copy goes to the dealer and boom he got the same set of keys, a while back my bro's Diamante got stolen the same way. Hope they find it, good luck.