New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-26-2024, 09:05 PM   #45
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Attachment 3456851

The IONIQ 5 N is one hell of a car, and a very perplexing one at that. This last week, I was given the opportunity to try out this new “one of a kind” performance EV SUV out, and I have to say, it may honestly be one of the most interesting vehicles I have driven within the last few years.
i know, i bought a EV6 GT at 40% off list and it normally only has half the power of the Ioniq 5N,

unfortunately the Kia was so good i sold my sworn forever car a 2021 M340i Touring. that was a sad day, now only a M3 will satisfy, but they all have those cinema screen and whale mouth.

i knew the 5N would smash the GT but i didn't think they'd sell them for 40% off list so i took the GT anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2024, 05:22 AM   #46
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
Bear & Twink channel reviewed it. Interesting takes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWlTlE-JGt8
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 03:04 PM   #47
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

people in the comments are drunk, I want to know who is cross shopping an EV family SUV with a 12 years old 2 seat sports car. This car obviously competes with Model Y performance, Mustang Mach E GT and KIA EV6 GT. If I had to pick one of all those EVs to buy, the 5N would fit my taste. Even though I'm not in the market for any EVs, I applaud them for what they are done to lead the performance EV category in innovations.
      06-24-2024, 05:05 PM   #48
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

IMO the simulated gearbox is something that would make me get this over a different EV if i was in the market for an EV.

Its just something fun to play with when youre bored driving. Kinda like how all these guys use their paddle shifters on their automatics. is it necessary? no. Is it pointless? yes. Is it more fun? also yes.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2024, 01:13 PM   #49
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Drives: Hellcat & Miata

The price is lol wtf no
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18674.50
      06-26-2024, 02:10 PM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Bear & Twink channel reviewed it. Interesting takes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWlTlE-JGt8
Good video. Fair assessment I guess (since I've not driven the 5N). But fake is still fake. If all manual ICEV dissappear instantly from the planet, then maybe I'd think about it. But with manual ICEV still in the picture, I'm not sure what the point is of this car, I'd just get an ICEV.

Speaking as an enthusiast, all the stuff EV people like: no shifting, no engine noise, charge at home (no going to an icky gas station - lol), no gasoline smell, and no driveline periodic maintenance, I like all that stuff. It's part of the experience for an enthusiast. So why add in fake engine noise and fake gear changes? Why add a function that simulates an ICE but reduces range, when the whole point of EV is to be more energy efficient?

Great engineering feat, but eh, why?

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-26-2024 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197536.50
      06-27-2024, 11:49 AM   #51
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Do Y'all use all the features you have in your smart phone? I bet you only use it for music, text, calls, photos, GPS, and maybe reading the news, but your phone can do so much more things that you don't even know. Are you sitting here complaining about too much features in your phone that you don't use? But you still buy it, no? You can still drive the car like a normal EV, you don't have to use to shifting, all the configurations or listen to the car burbles. How do you judging a car if you haven't even drove one yet.

Car enthusiast be like "EV have no gear, no sound, no driving experience". Car manufacture puts all that in for you, car enthusiast be like "all these features don't make them EV anymore". FFS you really just complain to complain huh? I am no EV enthusiast and I love my M4, but I love to see car manufacture try to make fun out of boring things, no matter what platform its on.

Price is right there with all of it's competitors, I don't see any issues with the pricing compare to today's car market. It's an EV, you will get your incentives and discounts you probably can get the car OTD at 60k, which in today's market for a car with 600hp is a steal. And stop compare a new car price to a used car price, this car will probably be 45-50k in a year with less than 10k miles just like all the other EVs.
stein_325i25262.00
gatorfast5059.00
Gautam706.50
      06-27-2024, 02:10 PM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Why must we compare smart phones to electric cars? The commonality between them is a chargable battery. That's it, a battery.
Appreciate 1
chris7197536.50
      06-27-2024, 03:57 PM   #53
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why must we compare smart phones to electric cars? The commonality between them is a chargable battery. That's it, a battery.
You missed the entire point. Most THINGS come with features not everyone uses. My car has heated seats, never use that, my portable speaker has a bottle opener which I didn't realize until yesterday as I never use it, my accounting software has a million features I don't use, BMWs come with turn signals even though 99.9% of BMW owners don't use them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2024, 10:45 PM   #54
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You missed the entire point. Most THINGS come with features not everyone uses. My car has heated seats, never use that, my portable speaker has a bottle opener which I didn't realize until yesterday as I never use it, my accounting software has a million features I don't use, BMWs come with turn signals even though 99.9% of BMW owners don't use them.
911s come with rear seats.
      06-28-2024, 05:00 AM   #55
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Mpower View Post
Do Y'all use all the features you have in your smart phone? I bet you only use it for music, text, calls, photos, GPS, and maybe reading the news, but your phone can do so much more things that you don't even know. Are you sitting here complaining about too much features in your phone that you don't use? But you still buy it, no? You can still drive the car like a normal EV, you don't have to use to shifting, all the configurations or listen to the car burbles. How do you judging a car if you haven't even drove one yet.

Car enthusiast be like "EV have no gear, no sound, no driving experience". Car manufacture puts all that in for you, car enthusiast be like "all these features don't make them EV anymore". FFS you really just complain to complain huh? I am no EV enthusiast and I love my M4, but I love to see car manufacture try to make fun out of boring things, no matter what platform its on.

Price is right there with all of it's competitors, I don't see any issues with the pricing compare to today's car market. It's an EV, you will get your incentives and discounts you probably can get the car OTD at 60k, which in today's market for a car with 600hp is a steal. And stop compare a new car price to a used car price, this car will probably be 45-50k in a year with less than 10k miles just like all the other EVs.
If the manufacturers have to add engine sounds and simulated gear shifts into the EV because it's boring, well then... it is what it is.
Appreciate 1
chris7197536.50
      06-28-2024, 08:11 AM   #56
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
If the manufacturers have to add engine sounds and simulated gear shifts into the EV because it's boring, well then... it is what it is.
It's been done for nearly a decade now, heck even my 2 series has fake sound. Your Z or maybe a different generation has a pipe penetrating the firewall directly from the intake. That's real but also done in a fake way.

As another user mentioned, paddle shifters have existed even longer and they aren't exactly necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 08:37 AM   #57
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's called do what customer asked for? All criticism toward performance EV is that they are fast but lack of driving experience. Hyundai literally did something no other manufacture is doing, and from all the reviews I have seen they are all super positive and say it's a game changer in the performance EV industry. What is fake and real these days? isn't DCT a fake trans of manual? it's CVT a fake trans of auto? Is EV a fake car? If you didn't know 99% of cars made today have fake engine sound pumped in through audio. You literally sound like that guy who never been to the restaurant, and start talking shit about them when you never even land you foot in there.
Gautam706.50
      06-28-2024, 09:57 AM   #58
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
The most egregious thing that Hyundai repeatedly does is put red exterior trim on all their N models, and then fill the cabin with Hyundai N baby blue. It's the worst combination and I don't understand it at all.
Donatello.1224.00
      06-28-2024, 02:29 PM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's called do what customer asked for? All criticism toward performance EV is that they are fast but lack of driving experience. Hyundai literally did something no other manufacture is doing, and from all the reviews I have seen they are all super positive and say it's a game changer in the performance EV industry. What is fake and real these days? isn't DCT a fake trans of manual? it's CVT a fake trans of auto? Is EV a fake car? If you didn't know 99% of cars made today have fake engine sound pumped in through audio. You literally sound like that guy who never been to the restaurant, and start talking shit about them when you never even land you foot in there.
If the restaurant is vegan and serves "meat analog" and I want USDA Prime, why would I be interested? Why wouldn't I just get the real thing? Most reviewers are internet influencers. I don't really care what they say.

What is a real internal combustion engine, one that takes in hydrocarbon fuel, explodes it, and makes torque. Its chemical reactions happening hundreds of times a minute have ever so slight imperfection, its what gives the vehicle character.

A CVT is a real transmission, it's not a manual transmission. A DTC is a real transmission, it has two clutches and two gearset paths that alternate transmission of engine torque to the output shaft.

Fake engine audio in an ICEV? Well that tells me engines can be so well isolated that manufacturers have to add sound back in, so one of the EV advocate attributes of no engine noise pretty much is a moot (or mute) point. So adding in synthetic engine noise is even all the more silly. EVs are real cars; the 5N is a fake ICE car when in silly mode.

Again, I just don't see the point. It's fake. If you want an EV for the silent, non-smelly drivetrain, then get one. Adding in fake engine sound and synthetic shifts is pointless. If you want an EV for what it is, silent and seemless, great, get one.
I'll voice my opinion, it think it's stupid.

What's up next, some vibration transducers attached to the pedal box sheet metal and under the dashboard to add in some fake 3rd-order harmonics? It's just some more software and a few bits of hardware. How about a scent system that simulates WOT rich fuel burn. Maybe a water droplet generator and a faux exhaust tip under the bumper to simulate exhaust condensation?

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-28-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 02:59 PM   #60
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Gears act as tactile reference points to gauge speed. Removing the sensations and boundary-setting of gears makes it tricky to drive fast in the canyons or on the track.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18674.50
      06-28-2024, 08:16 PM   #61
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the restaurant is vegan and serves "meat analog" and I want USDA Prime, why would I be interested? Why wouldn't I just get the real thing? Most reviewers are internet influencers. I don't really care what they say.

What is a real internal combustion engine, one that takes in hydrocarbon fuel, explodes it, and makes torque. Its chemical reactions happening hundreds of times a minute have ever so slight imperfection, its what gives the vehicle character.

A CVT is a real transmission, it's not a manual transmission. A DTC is a real transmission, it has two clutches and two gearset paths that alternate transmission of engine torque to the output shaft.

Fake engine audio in an ICEV? Well that tells me engines can be so well isolated that manufacturers have to add sound back in, so one of the EV advocate attributes of no engine noise pretty much is a moot (or mute) point. So adding in synthetic engine noise is even all the more silly. EVs are real cars; the 5N is a fake ICE car when in silly mode.

Again, I just don't see the point. It's fake. If you want an EV for the silent, non-smelly drivetrain, then get one. Adding in fake engine sound and synthetic shifts is pointless. If you want an EV for what it is, silent and seemless, great, get one.
I'll voice my opinion, it think it's stupid.

What's up next, some vibration transducers attached to the pedal box sheet metal and under the dashboard to add in some fake 3rd-order harmonics? It's just some more software and a few bits of hardware. How about a scent system that simulates WOT rich fuel burn. Maybe a water droplet generator and a faux exhaust tip under the bumper to simulate exhaust condensation?

Why would you go to a vegan restaurant for a real steak? Your example is so bad, if you want a real steak and start trash talking a vegan restaurant then you have just proved my point. You are literally saying I want to drive ICE car why would I want a EV that simulates ICE car features?

What is wrong with simulated gear that makes the car drive like an actual DCT? Is sim racing fake? But you can still learn a lot about driving a car on a track or learn how to drift and everything about driving a car. If you didn't know someone actually went on to became a real race driver playing sim racing. You are so fixated on things being "fake" but can't see the fact that so many things around you is "fake". Do you call AI real? Do you call self driving and all the lane keeping features "fake" driving? If simulated transmission/engine sound can bring out the excitement of driving an EV why not? You are sitting here asking why are these necessary when you obviously not Hyundai's targeted customer. Just like your example, vegan restaurant don't target real steak eaters, they target vegans. So don't bash a vegan restaurant when you obviously not their targeted customer, they don't care about your 2 cents.
RM73004.00
      06-28-2024, 08:46 PM   #62
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
It's been done for nearly a decade now, heck even my 2 series has fake sound. Your Z or maybe a different generation has a pipe penetrating the firewall directly from the intake. That's real but also done in a fake way.

As another user mentioned, paddle shifters have existed even longer and they aren't exactly necessary.
How is the E85/86 engine sound fake, because BMW gave it a real pathway to get into the cabin? Lol.

Trust me, my E86 sounds way better than a 5N. The real intake noise is present but subtle in the cabin, the beautiful exhaust note is a mere 24 inches from your left ear. You can hear the pinion gear in the diff because it's just behind your right ear. The transmission has gear whine that changes pitch as the throttle is lifted and the car slows. You can hear the shift linkage move the transmission into the next gear. You can feel the ever so slight movement of the drivetrain in its mounts as it loads and unloads torque. Its a wonderful car to drive. It even has direct link to the non-powered steering rack.

There is absolutely nothing fake about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 09:01 PM   #63
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would you go to a vegan restaurant for a real steak? Your example is so bad, if you want a real steak and start trash talking a vegan restaurant then you have just proved my point. You are literally saying I want to drive ICE car why would I want a EV that simulates ICE car features?

What is wrong with simulated gear that makes the car drive like an actual DCT? Is sim racing fake? But you can still learn a lot about driving a car on a track or learn how to drift and everything about driving a car. If you didn't know someone actually went on to became a real race driver playing sim racing. You are so fixated on things being "fake" but can't see the fact that so many things around you is "fake". Do you call AI real? Do you call self driving and all the lane keeping features "fake" driving? If simulated transmission/engine sound can bring out the excitement of driving an EV why not? You are sitting here asking why are these necessary when you obviously not Hyundai's targeted customer. Just like your example, vegan restaurant don't target real steak eaters, they target vegans. So don't bash a vegan restaurant when you obviously not their targeted customer, they don't care about your 2 cents.
That's the point, I wouldn't go to a Vegan restaurant to get a real steak just as much as I wouldn't get in an EV to get real shifting of gears and real engine sound. And again Hyundai IS targeting ICEV drivers as you and others have previously stated.

And no, I'm fixated on things that are real...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 09:26 PM   #64
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the point, I wouldn't go to a Vegan restaurant to get a real steak just as much as I wouldn't get in an EV to get real shifting of gears and real engine sound. And again Hyundai IS targeting ICEV drivers as you and others have previously stated.

And no, I'm fixated on things that are real...
Good for you, don't go to vegan restaurants. I don't, however I also understand there are other people in this world. Some of them want to be vegan for whatever reason and for those people they make vegan burgers and stuff. Are they as good as real burgers? I don't know, never eaten one, but I doubt it. However, if you cannot/will not eat a real burger I'm sure it's better than having.

I prefer real ICE sounds and shifting and I'm lucky I can have both ICE and EV. If I had to only pick one it would probably be EV since I prefer it for 90% of my driving. However, for that 10% it would be nice to have some of that ICE feel even if it's not as good as the real thing.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1224.00
      06-30-2024, 08:28 PM   #65
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You live in FL, your argument is beyond flawed. Most of use see weather & temps where heated seats are nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 12:18 AM   #66
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
You live in FL, your argument is beyond flawed. Most of use see weather & temps where heated seats are nice to have.
You just reinforced my point. I think heated seats are useless, but you like them. Efthreeoh thinks the fake noise and what not are useless, but someone else might like it. That's the whole point.
Appreciate 1