New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-15-2022, 04:58 PM   #6249
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Drives: BMW-less :(

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
(…instead of just a few celebrities, politicians and "connected" people).
I'm pretty sure that I mentioned it before, but one of the exhibits in the NYS pistol permit pre-licensing class that I took was a scan of a 1950's CCW application by Jackie Gleason from a non-NYC county. Yes, "The Honeymooners" Jackie Gleason. Someone crossed through "unrestricted" on the application and wrote "sportsman" above it on the application, which meant that he could only carry to/from the range or while hunting. Being a celebrity doesn't count on this coast, unless they denied him because of his on-screen domestic violence portrayals for threatening to send Alice to the moon.....
      07-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #6250
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:
More CCW updates at briefing today. It makes me incredibly happy to see these continually being issued to the law abiding citizens (…instead of just a few celebrities, politicians and "connected" people). The numbers in the county have jumped from 120-ish to around 3500. Bravo 2nd Amendment! Bravo!
Interesting that they are valid for 2 years. Colorado is 5 years.

Also, is that mandatory to list the carry weapon description?
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #6251
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
(…instead of just a few celebrities, politicians and "connected" people).
I'm pretty sure that I mentioned it before, but one of the exhibits in the NYS pistol permit pre-licensing class that I took was a scan of a 1950's CCW application by Jackie Gleason from a non-NYC county. Yes, "The Honeymooners" Jackie Gleason. Someone crossed through "unrestricted" on the application and wrote "sportsman" above it on the application, which meant that he could only carry to/from the range or while hunting. Being a celebrity doesn't count on this coast, unless they denied him because of his on-screen domestic violence portrayals for threatening to send Alice to the moon.....
Up until two years ago, a regular citizen couldn't even obtain a CCW in L.A. County. It was basically an automatic disqualification regardless of your cause statement. I'm sure Gleason was able to obtain what he had, however limited, because of his celebrity status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RM3NT View Post
Quote:
More CCW updates at briefing today. It makes me incredibly happy to see these continually being issued to the law abiding citizens (…instead of just a few celebrities, politicians and "connected" people). The numbers in the county have jumped from 120-ish to around 3500. Bravo 2nd Amendment! Bravo!
Interesting that they are valid for 2 years. Colorado is 5 years.
Yeah it's a 2-year validation here, but renewal is pretty simple. You can only conceal carry the firearms on your license. Carry anything else and it's an offense that can/will likely result in revocation and an arrest (….pursuant to 25400 P.C. or 25850 P.C.).
Appreciate 2
T0RM3NT4466.50
vreihen1619839.00
      07-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #6252
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:

Yeah it's a 2-year validation here, but renewal is pretty simple. You can only conceal carry the firearms on your license. Carry anything else and it's an offense that can/will likely result in revocation and an arrest (….pursuant to 25400 P.C. or 25850 P.C.).
Yep, renewal here pretty easy as well. But, I have definitely swapped out what I carry over the last 10 years or so I've been permitted many times. But, similar to the person you are referencing in your post, I've settled on the Sig P365. Love it!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26792.50
      07-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #6253
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Drives: ///M320i and X5

Quote:
That’s a huge step in the right direction for sure. Bravo

I’ve had CCP / LTC in a couple states and never have I had to list a weapon, serial number, caliber or anything gun related. Wow.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26792.50
      07-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #6254
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Chacon View Post
Quote:
That's a huge step in the right direction for sure. Bravo

I've had CCP / LTC in a couple states and never have I had to list a weapon, serial number, caliber or anything gun related. Wow.
That's the way it should be, but I figure it's just a way for the guv'ment to keep tabs on you to some degree. Back when I needed a CCW to carry prior to entering law enforcement, three guns was the maximum per validation period.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #6255
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
That's the way it should be, but I figure it's just a way for the guv'ment to keep tabs on you to some degree. Back when I needed a CCW to carry prior to entering law enforcement, three guns was the maximum per validation period.
That’s so California of them.

Colorado was the easiest state for me to get my CCP. Didn’t have to take any classes or anything like that, pay for the FBI check, fingerprints and a fee to the local sheriff office and that was about it. This was Colorado before it was ruined though, I’m not sure what the process is now.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26792.50
      07-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #6256
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve had CCP / LTC in a couple states and never have I had to list a weapon, serial number, caliber or anything gun related. Wow.
Here in NY State, we have every firearm listed by S/N on our permits...and in many cases have to appear before a judge to add additional listings. I had a retired LEO/military co-worker who had a wallet full off a dozen or more "continued" CCW license cards to list his entire collection. Believe it or not, the dude was 70+ years old and still had to appear before the judge to explain every one of his new purchases.

Funny thing is that a NY State CCW permit NEVER expired up until a few years ago. Death of pistol owners was a huge loophole since it was never reported, so they passed a law requiring 5 year renewals at part of the NY-SAFE act that neutered our modern sporting rifles among other things. Don't know what good it does for keeping those guns off the streets after the owner dies, and I suspect that it was done more as a way of creating a state CCW license database since the licenses are issued by counties and not by the state.

I would love to pick up one more for myself, but fear having to see our new judge because he can deny the amendment, yank my permit, or change the coveted "unrestricted" to "target/range only" on a whim. So, I'm holding off until we build our retirement house in the free south before adding another paperweight to the safe.....
      07-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #6257
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Here in NY State, we have every firearm listed by S/N on our permits...and in many cases have to appear before a judge to add additional listings. I had a retired LEO/military co-worker who had a wallet full off a dozen or more "continued" CCW license cards to list his entire collection. Believe it or not, the dude was 70+ years old and still had to appear before the judge to explain every one of his new purchases.

Funny thing is that a NY State CCW permit NEVER expired up until a few years ago. Death of pistol owners was a huge loophole since it was never reported, so they passed a law requiring 5 year renewals at part of the NY-SAFE act that neutered our modern sporting rifles among other things. Don't know what good it does for keeping those guns off the streets after the owner dies, and I suspect that it was done more as a way of creating a state CCW license database since the licenses are issued by counties and not by the state.

I would love to pick up one more for myself, but fear having to see our new judge because he can deny the amendment, yank my permit, or change the coveted "unrestricted" to "target/range only" on a whim. So, I'm holding off until we build our retirement house in the free south before adding another paperweight to the safe.....

Sounds like you need to expedite that retirement life and head south!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26792.50
vreihen1619839.00
      07-15-2022, 06:45 PM   #6258
jamesinaz
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I use to have a CCW here in Arizona. But now it is legal to carry CCW with no license and mine expired years ago. Suppose I should renew it because I think it allows carry in some adjoining states.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619839.00
      07-15-2022, 06:49 PM   #6259
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I use to have a CCW here in Arizona. But now it is legal to carry CCW with no license and mine expired years ago. Suppose I should renew it because I think it allows carry in some adjoining states.
That's the benefit for sure. Back in the day I used Arizona as my test bed. I would go there to visit friends and carry everywhere to get used to it before receiving my California CCW.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #6260
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
That’s the same reason my wife and I went ahead and got our LTC, reciprocity during our travels.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:55 PM   #6261
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
That's the benefit for sure. Back in the day I used Arizona as my test bed. I would go there to visit friends and carry everywhere to get used to it before receiving my California CCW.
Quote:
That’s the same reason my wife and I went ahead and got our LTC, reciprocity during our travels.
That's EXACTLY why I got mine about 7 years ago. My daughter was going to school in Arizona and we I have relatives in NV & TX, so it was a no-brainer. I also used it extensively on a trip we took to North Carolina. This was before I achieved my CA permit.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26792.50
jamesinaz1830.50
      07-15-2022, 08:37 PM   #6262
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just don't come to NY! We don't have reciprocity with ANYONE, and even a lockbox in the trunk isn't acceptable under our laws. People get busted all the time when passing through, and it is also a felony to even *touch* an unloaded pistol in a gun store unless you have a state CCW permit. This is why you will not find a tourist-focused range anywhere in the state like they have in Las Vegas or New Jersey, and most sporting goods stores won't even open the locked display case since many of their sales clerks don't have their own CCW to handle the merchandise legally.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to expedite that retirement life and head south!
We were going to get our SC non-resident property owners permits when we were down there over Memorial Day, but got sidetracked with the excavation contractors cutting the driveway and didn't get an opportunity to follow up. We supposedly need to bring our SC property tax receipt and certificates from an NRA or equivalent safety course to the county building, and they will issue the non-resident permit. Very little reciprocity with the non-res permit, but at least we'd have a foothold to being legal in SC for when the big move finally happens in about 5 years.....
      07-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #6263
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Just don't come to NY! We don't have reciprocity with ANYONE, and even a lockbox in the trunk isn't acceptable under our laws. People get busted all the time when passing through, and it is also a felony to even *touch* an unloaded pistol in a gun store unless you have a state CCW permit. This is why you will not find a tourist-focused range anywhere in the state like they have in Las Vegas or New Jersey, and most sporting goods stores won't even open the locked display case since many of their sales clerks don't have their own CCW to handle the merchandise legally.

We were going to get our SC non-resident property owners permits when we were down there over Memorial Day, but got sidetracked with the excavation contractors cutting the driveway and didn't get an opportunity to follow up. We supposedly need to bring our SC property tax receipt and certificates from an NRA or equivalent safety course to the county building, and they will issue the non-resident permit. Very little reciprocity with the non-res permit, but at least we'd have a foothold to being legal in SC for when the big move finally happens in about 5 years.....
Unreal, can’t imagine that. I was handling a full automatic AR today while at my local gun shop.

What does the SC non-resident permit get you?
5 more years, that’ll fly by in no time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:59 PM   #6264
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Unreal, can't imagine that. I was handling a full automatic AR today while at my local gun shop.

5 more years, that'll fly by in no time.
Unreal for sure. I don't understand what a CCW has to do with handling an unloaded firearm in a retail business that deals in firearm sales.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #6265
jamesinaz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
OK I'm convinced. Will get a new CCW next week. Where will I find the time since I'm retired and only play golf 4 days a week.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26792.50
Buug95922172.00
      07-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #6266
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
OK I'm convinced. Will get a new CCW next week. Where will I find the time since I'm retired and only play golf 4 days a week.
That's the life. Playing with small balls and long poles.
Appreciate 3
jamesinaz1830.50
Buug95922172.00
      07-16-2022, 08:17 AM   #6267
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think that it has much reciprocity with other states, but then again NY State's CCW has zero reciprocity with *any* other state. The popular one here is a PA non-resident permit, which a few non-border counties there will issue while you wait if you bring them payment and an unrestricted NY State permit. The PA non-res permit requires no paper ties to PA, whereas the SC one requires a paid property tax receipt accompany the application to show that you have ties to SC.

What I'm unsure of is if the SC non-resident permit will allow non-residents to make purchases in the state? Not that I'd buy anything with no place to leave it in SC right now, and there's no "F" in weigh that I'd even think about bringing it home to New Yorkistan without being listed on my NY State permit!

Quote:
Unreal for sure. I don't understand what a CCW has to do with handling an unloaded firearm in a retail business that deals in firearm sales.
Most of our penal code regarding firearms is 100+ years old, and came from knee-jerk reactions to mobsters of yore. It's a felony to touch or possess a pistol without a CCW permit, loaded, unloaded, in a store, at the range, etc. No gray areas for mob lawyers to weasel around. If you are touching it in any way, you possess it! All of the area's pistol ranges check every single person's CCW permit before letting them into the hot areas, to ensure that an unlicensed spectator doesn't handle/shoot when nobody's looking.

Even more interesting is that the permit process requires the applicant to list a firearm by make/caliber/serial number on their initial application. You have to buy and pay for a gun...without ever touching it to feel the weight or grip size...and leave it sitting in the dealer's safe for a year or more until your permit is approved and a release coupon is issued so that you can pick it up! I hate to think about the goat screw that was created when Gander Mountain went belly-up, holding hundreds of pistols in their store safes for people waiting for their permits to pick them up. People in this part of NY State actually go to a well-known "tourist" indoor range in New Jersey of all places to handle/try before applying. My DW and I stopped at an out-of-state Cabelas as they opened on a weekday when we were on a road trip to handle a few weapons before making our decisions, picking that time specifically so that we wouldn't be wasting a sales clerk's time when we couldn't buy from them even if we wanted to.

It also bears mentioning that the NRA has a special pistol safety curriculum specific to NY State that doesn't include the range part. Anyone who takes the classroom part of the course handling solid blue plastic blocks in the general shape of a handgun receives the NRA safety certificate, along with a voluntary coupon to do the range part after you get a permit.

One aspect that I never dug into is what the charges would be for someone having a CCW but possessing a weapon that's not listed on their license? The possession felony doesn't apply. The safety instructor advised married couples to cross-list each weapon on both people's permits, which we didn't think about or do when filling out the application forms. I don't plan to find out how the issuing judge will handle something like this.

Funny story about mobs and knee-jerk laws. In the 1950's, the NY State Police raided a resort hotel in the Catskills where there was a big mob gathering taking place. They couldn't make a single firearms arrest, because EVERY SINGLE MOBSTER had a legitimate state CCW permit covering whatever they were carrying! No surprise that laws written to stop mobsters didn't do a thing to deter them, since the mob had judges on their payrolls to sign off on all of their permits.....
      07-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #6268
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I don't think that it has much reciprocity with other states, but then again NY State's CCW has zero reciprocity with *any* other state. The popular one here is a PA non-resident permit, which a few non-border counties there will issue while you wait if you bring them payment and an unrestricted NY State permit. The PA non-res permit requires no paper ties to PA, whereas the SC one requires a paid property tax receipt accompany the application to show that you have ties to SC.

What I'm unsure of is if the SC non-resident permit will allow non-residents to make purchases in the state? Not that I'd buy anything with no place to leave it in SC right now, and there's no "F" in weigh that I'd even think about bringing it home to New Yorkistan without being listed on my NY State permit!

I thought Canada had strict firearms laws.

Most of our penal code regarding firearms is 100+ years old, and came from knee-jerk reactions to mobsters of yore. It's a felony to touch or possess a pistol without a CCW permit, loaded, unloaded, in a store, at the range, etc. No gray areas for mob lawyers to weasel around. If you are touching it in any way, you possess it! All of the area's pistol ranges check every single person's CCW permit before letting them into the hot areas, to ensure that an unlicensed spectator doesn't handle/shoot when nobody's looking.

Even more interesting is that the permit process requires the applicant to list a firearm by make/caliber/serial number on their initial application. You have to buy and pay for a gun...without ever touching it to feel the weight or grip size...and leave it sitting in the dealer's safe for a year or more until your permit is approved and a release coupon is issued so that you can pick it up! I hate to think about the goat screw that was created when Gander Mountain went belly-up, holding hundreds of pistols in their store safes for people waiting for their permits to pick them up. People in this part of NY State actually go to a well-known "tourist" indoor range in New Jersey of all places to handle/try before applying. My DW and I stopped at an out-of-state Cabelas as they opened on a weekday when we were on a road trip to handle a few weapons before making our decisions, picking that time specifically so that we wouldn't be wasting a sales clerk's time when we couldn't buy from them even if we wanted to.

It also bears mentioning that the NRA has a special pistol safety curriculum specific to NY State that doesn't include the range part. Anyone who takes the classroom part of the course handling solid blue plastic blocks in the general shape of a handgun receives the NRA safety certificate, along with a voluntary coupon to do the range part after you get a permit.

One aspect that I never dug into is what the charges would be for someone having a CCW but possessing a weapon that's not listed on their license? The possession felony doesn't apply. The safety instructor advised married couples to cross-list each weapon on both people's permits, which we didn't think about or do when filling out the application forms. I don't plan to find out how the issuing judge will handle something like this.

Funny story about mobs and knee-jerk laws. In the 1950's, the NY State Police raided a resort hotel in the Catskills where there was a big mob gathering taking place. They couldn't make a single firearms arrest, because EVERY SINGLE MOBSTER had a legitimate state CCW permit covering whatever they were carrying! No surprise that laws written to stop mobsters didn't do a thing to deter them, since the mob had judges on their payrolls to sign off on all of their permits.....
I thought Canada had strict firearms laws.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619839.00
      07-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #6269
jamesinaz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Curious if recent SCOTUS rulings might find those restrictions unconstitutional. If not I have to believe someone is trying to get it heard.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619839.00
Sedan_Clan26792.50
      07-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #6270
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Curious if recent SCOTUS rulings might find those restrictions unconstitutional. If not I have to believe someone is trying to get it heard.
The governor is trying to add MORE restrictions as a result of the ruling! They are harping on the "sensitive area" exception in the ruling, and essentially legislating every public space into one. The politicians don't even know the current laws, and are trying to include schools and other locations already prohibited under state penal code to their new list. I expect things to be worse now for current CCW holders from all of their new "sensitive areas." I'll be long dead by the time the courts rule on this new stuff.

I have not read the SCOTUS ruling yet, but have to wonder if they are confusing NYC with NY State on some things? NYC has their own laws, and believe it or not there isn't even CCW reciprocity between NYC and NY State! (As a NY State CCW holder, I cannot drive or boat to Long Island with my weapon even in a trunk-mounted lockbox because it involves passing through NYC.) I believe the bulk of the case was NYC not issuing permits that let people leave their own homes/apartments with their licensed firearm.

In all seriousness, I have an unrestricted permit and my pistol hasn't been out of my electronic-locking safe since 2018. I don't even know if the batteries are still good enough to unlock it! My employer is a place that is restricted under current penal code, there's zero sense in carrying it on work days when it's a felony to have it anywhere on the property including a trunk-mounted lockbox. It is also worth mentioning that we do NOT have mandatory trigger lock or safe requirements here. I chose the safe, picked one with a non-bio electronic combination lock function, and placed it in a location where I have quick access without fumbling for keys.

EDIT - I just tried it now, and the batteries are too weak to activate the release solenoid.....