New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-05-2023, 03:22 PM   #5105
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Why in the world would a car dealer make a $500,000 to $1,000,000 investment if their local market has no interest in EV's? ROI, It's called capitalism.
Jesus H. It doesn't cost 500K to $1M just to sell a basic EV, all you need are a few chargers. "The Program" is a TOTAL re-think of the entire dealership layout and experience to suit EV's and make it easier to sell them. Not having that program doesn't mean you cannot sell them.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:29 PM   #5106
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Jesus H. It doesn't cost 500K to $1M just to sell a basic EV, all you need are a few chargers. "The Program" is a TOTAL re-think of the entire dealership layout and experience to suit EV's and make it easier to sell them. Not having that program doesn't mean you cannot sell them.
You have a reading issue. That was Fords mandate. It was tested in court and Ford is revising.

Ford Eases EV Requirements After Latest Litigation Setback

Dec 5, 2023
In the fall of 2022, Ford introduced an aggressive “Model e Program,” requiring its dealers to invest roughly $500,000-$1 million to install publicly accessible electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, invest in employee training, use the Ford.com e-commerce platform for all EV transactions, engage in “no-haggle” pricing, and provide remote delivery of all vehicle purchases if they wanted to continue selling Ford EVs.
Shortly after the Board’s Final Order was issued, Ford announced it would modify the program, cutting training costs in half, lowering the number of required EV chargers, and delaying the deadline to install them by 6 months.
https://www.seyfarth.com/news-insigh...n-setback.html
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #5107
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E88 135i 6MT

independently owned dealerships just need to go away altogether. stupid middleman that makes the car buying experience terrible for all involved.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #5108
Socal_R8
Major
Rep

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
it might help if they just built better cars with better prices and infrastructure ...

Tesla has two of the top selling cars in the world atm and 2 million people have deposits on their latest vehicle, the cyber truck.

Proving Ford has issues selling EV's isn't exactly proof that people aren't buying EV's...they're just not buying Fords
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #5109
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
it might help if they just built better cars with better prices and infrastructure ...

Tesla has two of the top selling cars in the world atm and 2 million people have deposits on their latest vehicle, the cyber truck.

Proving Ford has issues selling EV's isn't exactly proof that people aren't buying EV's...they're just not buying Fords
There's definitely an argument that the companies struggling seem to be domestic. I mean Toyota has not really committed but the Hyundai group is doing ok and so is volvo/polestar for example.

But I just cannot, for the life of me, get past the charging issue. I just can't, i cannot see how it will be ready for another 20+ years. You will need a public charger on every dang corner, untold millions of them. This doesn't mean there is not a market for EVs but 100% of new cars by 2035 or whatever it is? Not gonna happen, it just wont.
Appreciate 1
spoodle175.50
      12-05-2023, 03:44 PM   #5110
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You have a reading issue. That was Fords mandate. It was tested in court and Ford is revising.

Ford Eases EV Requirements After Latest Litigation Setback

Dec 5, 2023
In the fall of 2022, Ford introduced an aggressive “Model e Program,” requiring its dealers to invest roughly $500,000-$1 million to install publicly accessible electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, invest in employee training, use the Ford.com e-commerce platform for all EV transactions, engage in “no-haggle” pricing, and provide remote delivery of all vehicle purchases if they wanted to continue selling Ford EVs.
Shortly after the Board’s Final Order was issued, Ford announced it would modify the program, cutting training costs in half, lowering the number of required EV chargers, and delaying the deadline to install them by 6 months.
https://www.seyfarth.com/news-insigh...n-setback.html
Right, so my understanding after that debacle was that Ford said right, to be an "Official WIZZ BANG Green Certified Ford WOW NOW dealership you need to spend 500K to 1.2Bn but joe Schlub off the street can still walk in, order a Mustang EV off the brochure and have it delivered to said dealer even if they are not part of the "Whizz bang" program.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:48 PM   #5111
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

She can't read and refuses to listen. Like she is bought and paid for.

"Michigan Gov Whitmer orders state government fleet to be 100% electric by 2033"

Run Forrest, run!
      12-05-2023, 03:57 PM   #5112
Socal_R8
Major
Rep

Quote:
There's definitely an argument that the companies struggling seem to be domestic. I mean Toyota has not really committed but the Hyundai group is doing ok and so is volvo/polestar for example.

But I just cannot, for the life of me, get past the charging issue. I just can't, i cannot see how it will be ready for another 20+ years. You will need a public charger on every dang corner, untold millions of them. This doesn't mean there is not a market for EVs but 100% of new cars by 2035 or whatever it is? Not gonna happen, it just wont.
well, Tesla is domestic and they pretty much own the market....

People need to realize that most EV owners have their own charging stations at home and seldom need to use charging stations.... only time I ever use them is on the occasional road trips...recently we took the Tesla on a road trip to Tahoe for Thanksgiving to visit family...over 1000 miles round trip....spent $123 in charging fees total and never stopped for more than 25 minutes and evry station had plenty of open spaces on a busy holiday week of travel....even spotted a cyber truck at one of them.

Appreciate 1
gblansten2107.50
      12-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #5113
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
The truth is there are a lot of folks like me that will never own a LiPo powered EV. The environmental damage is way too much for me to swallow.
There are a lot of people that will never be able to afford a EV and the used EV market is very dangerous especially if your not well off and a multi car family.
Then there are the early adopters and the folks on the fence. These are upper income multi car families and if this group has a bad EV experience, they will be gone. When the prestige and "look at me factor" is gone and you are left with range anxiety and charge hassles the ICE will look a lot better.
This is the fault of government that thinks they can force people to comply. Judging by COVID mania and mask monkeys they are right. A free market approach based on Hybrids and EV's with out mandates would produced a better result. Heck if BMW had solid state batteries in a X5 xDrive50e I might even buy one.
Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13729.00
kyriian890.50
M5Rick61811.50
      12-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #5114
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
People need to realize that most EV owners have their own charging stations at home and seldom need to use charging stations....
Hard stop here. Yes, for now most are at home chargers but we will hit a wall where those folks are in an EV and everyone else who cannot get one at home, condo dwellers, street parking types etc, will need a public charger. Also a decent number of EV are second car in household, there is still aback up ICE if the family needs it for a long trip or whatever... so we will need copious, and I mean fucking COPIOUS amounts of chargers out int he public domain.
Appreciate 5
lakefront568.00
KRS_SN13729.00
kyriian890.50
M5Rick61811.50
      12-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #5115
Socal_R8
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hard stop here. Yes, for now most are at home chargers but we will hit a wall where those folks are in an EV and everyone else who cannot get one at home, condo dwellers, street parking types etc, will need a public charger. Also a decent number of EV are second car in household, there is still aback up ICE if the family needs it for a long trip or whatever... so we will need copious, and I mean fucking COPIOUS amounts of chargers out int he public domain.

yes, but that is kind of a shortsighted view point....by the time 2035 is here, most likely these cars will be more affordable, have much longer ranges and yes, there will be plenty of charging stations...but like I said, when most people charge at home/work there isn't the crazy demand...you know how empty gas stations would be if we most people filled up at home every night? .heck, they are already working on roads that have electromagnetic chargering built into them that charge cars as they go...

2035 is a long way away and many things will change by then and it will be another 30-40 years like 2075 by the time most of the cars on the road will be electric...if we are even driving cars in 2075....

None of us are ever going to see the day where every car is an EV ...we won't live that long
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2023, 04:31 PM   #5116
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
yes, but that is kind of a shortsighted view point....by the time 2035 is here, most likely these cars will be more affordable, have much longer ranges and yes, there will be plenty of charging stations...but like I said, when most people charge at home/work there isn't the crazy demand...you know how empty gas stations would be if we most people filled up at home every night? .heck, they are already working on roads that have electromagnetic chargering built into them that charge cars as they go...

2035 is a long way away and many things will change by then and it will be another 30-40 years like 2075 by the time most of the cars on the road will be electric...if we are even driving cars in 2075....

None of us are ever going to see the day where every car is an EV ...we won't live that long
I'm not so sure that 2035 is going to be the place that all the government types are pushing us to.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61811.50
      12-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #5117
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
by the time 2035 is here, most likely these cars will be more affordable, have much longer ranges and yes, there will be plenty of charging stations...
Public charging stations are like public laundromats. We have all had to use them at some point in our life but everyone had a big party when they got their own washer and drier and never had to go to a laundromats again.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #5118
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
The truth is there are a lot of folks like me that will never own a LiPo powered EV. The environmental damage is way too much for me to swallow.

You just got blinders on and ignore the damage that oil has done and continues to do?

I love my ICE vehicles, and my EV, and I'm not going to pretend that either are saving the world, they're both bad in their own way. The big picture reality is that personal transportation is unsustainable for the human race. Unfortunately in the US our society is completely dependent upon it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #5119
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

You just got blinders on and ignore the damage that oil has done and continues to do?
Four years in earth science, specifically in stratigraphy (mining and oil exploration) so I think I'm on solid ground on what is environmentally damaging.

How many tons of overburden have to be removed to get the lithium ore, How many liters of water are required? Now lets move on to Cobalt and Copper?

Fun facts:
Currently, most lithium is extracted from hard rock mines or underground brine reservoirs, and much of the energy used to extract and process it comes from CO2-emitting fossil fuels. Particularly in hard rock mining, for every tonne of mined lithium, 15 tonnes of CO2 are emitted into the air.

Too many variables to truly determine the environmental impact of the entire live cycle of a ICE vs a EV but for me The ICE is the better long term play.
Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13729.00
M5Rick61811.50
      12-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #5120
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
There are a lot of people that will never be able to afford a EV and the used EV market is very dangerous especially if your not well off and a multi car family.
Then there are the early adopters and the folks on the fence. These are upper income multi car families and if this group has a bad EV experience, they will be gone. When the prestige and "look at me factor" is gone and you are left with range anxiety and charge hassles the ICE will look a lot better.
This is the fault of government that thinks they can force people to comply. Judging by COVID mania and mask monkeys they are right. A free market approach based on Hybrids and EV's with out mandates would produced a better result. Heck if BMW had solid state batteries in a X5 xDrive50e I might even buy one.
Bang on with what you have said..

Meanwhile in the UK serious limitations are coming in next month.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...cars-evs-vote/

The controversial mandate compels car manufacturers to ensure that at least 22 per cent of their vehicles sold will be electric from Jan 1.

By 2030, 80 per cent of cars sold will need to be zero emission, even though the outright ban on petrol and diesel does not come in until 2035.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61811.50
      12-05-2023, 09:35 PM   #5121
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i really don't understand what is being argued in this thread anymore. i think both things have a purpose. alas in policitics and society everything is generalites and exteremism which is a means to tuirn us againist each other
Sigh, this thread is literally the Springfield tire fire

Occasionally some common sense throw some water on but just keeps burning.
We are all a little dumber for even being here now.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:40 AM   #5122
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Bang on with what you have said..

Meanwhile in the UK serious limitations are coming in next month.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...cars-evs-vote/

The controversial mandate compels car manufacturers to ensure that at least 22 per cent of their vehicles sold will be electric from Jan 1.

By 2030, 80 per cent of cars sold will need to be zero emission, even though the outright ban on petrol and diesel does not come in until 2035.
At last...some standing up to the nutter.
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2023, 04:15 AM   #5123
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
well, Tesla is domestic and they pretty much own the market....

People need to realize that most EV owners have their own charging stations at home and seldom need to use charging stations.... only time I ever use them is on the occasional road trips...recently we took the Tesla on a road trip to Tahoe for Thanksgiving to visit family...over 1000 miles round trip....spent $123 in charging fees total and never stopped for more than 25 minutes and evry station had plenty of open spaces on a busy holiday week of travel....even spotted a cyber truck at one of them.

A 1,000 mile trip would have cost me $146 in my 17 year old E90 and 15 minutes total refueling time.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61811.50
      12-06-2023, 04:23 AM   #5124
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

I love my ICE vehicles, and my EV, and I'm not going to pretend that either are saving the world, they're both bad in their own way. The big picture reality is that personal transportation is unsustainable for the human race. Unfortunately in the US our society is completely dependent upon it.
I'm curious. What type of transportation is sustainable?
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2023, 04:47 AM   #5125
Socal_R8
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
A 1,000 mile trip would have cost me $146 in my 17 year old E90 and 15 minutes total refueling time.

not in california....average price along that route(us395) was about $6.00 a gal

unless you get like 40 mpg you might have a chance. My son has a e90 and it doesnt get close to that.

usually time up the charging spots for a lunch break so it was no biggie....If I was in a hurry we would have took one of our gas guzzlers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 05:53 AM   #5126
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

The point is the folks pushing the green agenda would have you believe that EV is going to save the planet when it is clear that zero tail pipe emissions is far different than zero carbon footprint. It's pretty clear to anyone paying attention and applying a little bit of common sense that EV's have significant challenges and aren't being bought because of those challenges and the realization that they aren't actually making things better, just swapping one problem for many others. The devil you know.....
Appreciate 7
M5Rick61811.50
Llarry16812.00
lakefront568.00
DrFerry6734.50
cmyx6go15853.00
zx10guy5159.50