New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

01-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #23
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Drives: ///M323 DCT

We as men like expensive shit as well.

Theres nothing wrong with a woman liking expensive bags. Unless she has a shitty job and makes $12 an hour. Then she should get her fucken priorities straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #24
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Some people buy nice cars because they do care what others think about them. It's probably the same reason why women like expensive purses and stuff. Just because some of us don't place the same value on some things doesn't mean others don't place more value on them.
im not talking about those douches that buy Mercs or Bimmers to keep up with the joneses--f them too--im talking about people who buy bimmers over toyota tercels cause they like to drive--which is hopefully most of us
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #25
soph1aa
Colonel
Rep

Drives: e93

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Because it makes her feel good and you can show it off to the world. can you show off a laptop? no.

don't try to understand girls when it comes to designer purses and shoes.
we know men don't care and we don't care if you don't care. haha

we do know other women notice.
They just want instant satisfaction that can be achieved every time they tote their purse around.
Sure it may be stupid and waste of money but girls don't care.
      01-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #26
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
So I got into an argument with my girlfriend because she wants to buy an LV/Gucci handbag. Now, she works at a lousy job for $12/hour and can barely support herself and her car.

I told her that expensive handbags are a total waste of money, and that men in general don't care about what hand bags they use. I told her that she has other priorities, such as getting a new laptop because her old computer is broken. Whenever she needs to use a computer, she comes to my place. So we got into a big argument, and she got mad.

Am I right or wrong? Personally, I rather see her donate that cost of that handbag ($2000?) to some charity and feed some children, then give that money to some rich douche BAG in Italy. Who's with me?

Nice usage of pun, BTW
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #27
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep

Drives: real slow

Is this your first GF? I'd figure you'd know this by now.....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #28
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Tesla

Purses are the equivalent of modding. Unnecessary? Yes. Waste of money? Yes. Makes you feel good? Yes. Period.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #29
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Drives: black on black

Thanks for all the responses. My girlfriend works in the administrative department of a small company.. basically picking up phone calls. And good catch with the pun

The general consensus is that expensive purses are acceptable, because men like cars. Ok, I get that, but I'm pretty sure that MOST of us are earning a good level of money and have our priorities straight. I'm more than willing to buy her a laptop, but she wants the purse instead. To hell with that.

I think these days, women are insecure. They lack self confidence. If she was making 50 grand a year, has a lot of money in the bank and wants to award herself for many years of hard work with a fine purse, then I admire that, nothing wrong. But if you're making barely above minimum wage and you want to buy a piece of leather that goes way beyond your budget just to tell the world "look at me please" then I think the woman needs to see a psychiatrist.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #30
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

There's a difference between cars and purses. Good, well-built, high-performing cars just happen to cost a lot. Purses can obviously be very high quality but the mark-up is WAY higher. The profit margins of an automobile vs leather goods is fucking worlds apart.

So yes, OP is correct but women are stupid so you can't argue with reason. THAT'S your biggest problem. Logic is wasted on women. Trust me. Many professional men try to instill wisdom and common sense in women but are just drowned out by their chitter chatter. Only the men who can shoot shit on useless topics will be heard. Too bad, it's a vicious cycle.
      01-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #31
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Thats like buying a 2 year old a toy to shut them up, or feeding a bird expecting it not to come back. If he is very serious with her then MAYBE buy it, but just bf/gf let her buy it herself. Someone that makes 12/hr and wants to drop 2k on a purse, has serious priority issues, as well as insecurity issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
To all the guys in here confused about why we spend a lot of money on our cars. what is wrong with you? Don't let your woman mind fuck you into thinking your car isn't worth it. We spend a lot of money on our cars because they give us a rush no woman can. Yes blowjobs feel better than burning rubber, but the rush of going 150mph is something else.

What kind of a rush does a purse give?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
The only rush I can think of is that of money rushing out of my wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
dont compare cars with bags; that's silly...they like expensive bags because they want others to envy them supposedly having money and so they arent jealous of others...pretty sad......... on the other hand i doubt many care what others think about their car...also some of those bags are just ugly...like the LV bags..a brown bag with LV on it---great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
There's a difference between cars and purses. Good, well-built, high-performing cars just happen to cost a lot. Purses can obviously be very high quality but the mark-up is WAY higher. The profit margins of an automobile vs leather goods is fucking worlds apart.

So yes, OP is correct but women are stupid so you can't argue with reason. THAT'S your biggest problem. Logic is wasted on women. Trust me. Many professional men try to instill wisdom and common sense in women but are just drowned out by their chitter chatter. Only the men who can shoot shit on useless topics will be heard. Too bad, it's a vicious cycle.
That speaks my mind exactly word for word. My 335i coupe is worth every penny I paid for it (mostly because I got it used at a good bargain). The fact that the mark-up on a brand name purse is so high drives me INSANE! Why should anyone just hand their hard earned money to some rich Italian douche bag! Why!

Hmmm... The leather seat in our cars is probably made of the same leather as an LV bag, and there's more leather surface area on a single seat than an entire LV bag. It probably took the engineers a lot of time to draft, design, and produce a single seat than a LV bag... Why does the bag cost 10 times more?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #32
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
women's purses are like men's watches

I don't personally have a watch as they bother me. But I can understand if you enjoy carrying a watch.

Let me put it this way... do you prefer sporting:

(PS: if you don't know what these watches are, then you don't know your watches)

OR:

I put in an Omega in there. Yes people think they are oh so high end, but compared to what really is high end, it is pretty crap. Not insulting anyone's watch or anything, but comparing it to a Jaeger.. that's like comparing a 3 series to a Ferrari California.

all 4 read time. 2 are classier though!
same with purses. You''ve got LV or Gucci which (like the Omega) is considered high end (by those not in the know). And you have a Casio, which is probably what your gf is currently sporting and she just wants a better one.

I do agree her priorities are out of wack, and the balls to ask you to buy you one.
But most girls want a high end purse for the same reason us men (well not me, I hate watches) like high end watches.
      01-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #33
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

lol.. very nice comparison. If LV or Gucci are not already the high end, I don't want to know what is. Hopefully my girlfriend will never know either. She actually has a very nice purse already (a Coach) which I think is somewhere between the Omega and Casio.

Maybe if I liked watches (and collected them), I would understand women a little better. Unfortunately for them, I (also like yourself) hate watches =) I find them comfortable and increase my probability of getting mugged.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #34
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
lol.. very nice comparison. If LV or Gucci are not already the high end, I don't want to know what is. Hopefully my girlfriend will never know either. She actually has a very nice purse already (a Coach) which I think is somewhere between the Omega and Casio.

Maybe if I liked watches (and collected them), I would understand women a little better. Unfortunately for them, I (also like yourself) hate watches =) I find them comfortable and increase my probability of getting mugged.
well besides brand names, there is custom made
which is as high end as it gets

but there are brands like Nancy Gonzalez bags (just one I know).
mainstream <> high-end
when it becomes mainstream it is no longer considered high end.

edit:

just a small anecdote:

When I first started really caring about suits, I went to a store (Harry Rosen for Montrealers) that specializes in "high-end" clothing. Met the guy who at the time was their top seller/suit designer for customs.
He was a friend of a friend (and no longer works there!) and I was like "I want something nice, like Zegna!" and he looked at our friend and he's like "Would he like fries with that? really? You told me he wanted high end, not a McSuit."
so he went on to explain to me how brands are inferior to custom. He showed me some of the work he had done and how to spot a real suit from a fake tailored one. Wow, what a world of difference.
anyways, Fast Forward a few years and now I have a tailor who makes things to my size, and re adjusts every time I gain/lose weight. I pay HALF the price you would for a Zegna suit, and it looks like I paid 8 times the price

price doesn't make exclusivity or high endness...

everything except for socks and underwear can be custom made.. yes, even shoes and purses (men and women!)

Last edited by Comet; 01-18-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #35
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
she's not your wife so you have no right to tell her how to spend her money. you want that right? then put a ring on her finger, otherwise shut up.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #36
Feyd
Major
Rep

Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
she's not your wife so you have no right to tell her how to spend her money. you want that right? then put a ring on her finger, otherwise shut up.
Before you "put a ring on it" observe her parents....

There are lots of reasons she could be acting this way. Self esteem, peer pressure, etc. But by in large wanting to do something like this is a learned behavior... she either:

(1) Has parents who recklessly spend money but have shitty jobs. They can't afford the mortgage, but her mom always has new jewelry. Most of the time this is because the guy in the relationship is a fucking pussy and won't tell the wife to straighten out. Not sure how guys (even the married ones) come to fear their wives so much, but most do.

or

(2) Her parents have money and still spend recklessly (not a good sign BTW) and are constantly trying to keep up appearances and your GF thinks that she can do the same by association. In this instance she probably already does spend recklessly, but her lifestyle is subsidized by her enabling parents. I dated a girl like this once... so I speak from experience.

My advice if you are dealing with options 1 or 2... get out now. What do you think will happen if you marry this girl? These kinds of behaviors don't change overnight and who do you think is going to be stuck paying for this shit once you are married?

As I'm sure you are aware the world runs on credit, so if you have any hope of buying a new car/house/boat, etc. in the near future and you marry a train wreck like this your score is automatically in the tank... and what extra money you do have will go to paying interest charges.

I'd honestly let her get the purse and then let her default on her car/CC, etc. When she asks for money to help pay for it just say no.... She'll wine about needing to get to her job, but just let her fail and get fired. This will probably be a good time to break up with her as well with a hearty "I told you so".

She might just learn something.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #37
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
The clueless nature of some of the threads here make me laugh so hard.

Yes, she's a dumbass because she obviously can't afford the purse. Much like a large percentage of the forum members here - living in dumpy apartments with 4 other room mates. One would argue that you shouldn't be driving a BMW and that you should be saving your money for more intelligent purchases.

Purses, like watches are functional. A $20 purse can carry your stuff and a $20 watch can tell time. But the nice ones make you feel good - if you really appreciate the quality.

I personally have an addiction to jewelry and shoes, so what?
      01-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #38
Feyd
Major
Rep

Hey Monetego!!!..

Blast from the past right there. haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #39
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep

Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
women's purses are like men's watches

I don't personally have a watch as they bother me. But I can understand if you enjoy carrying a watch.

Let me put it this way... do you prefer sporting:

I put in an Omega in there. Yes people think they are oh so high end, but compared to what really is high end, it is pretty crap. Not insulting anyone's watch or anything, but comparing it to a Jaeger.. that's like comparing a 3 series to a Ferrari California.
what if i prefer this one?

oh that's right, omega doesn't make any high end watches.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #40
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
The clueless nature of some of the threads here make me laugh so hard.

Yes, she's a dumbass because she obviously can't afford the purse. Much like a large percentage of the forum members here - living in dumpy apartments with 4 other room mates. One would argue that you shouldn't be driving a BMW and that you should be saving your money for more intelligent purchases.

Purses, like watches are functional. A $20 purse can carry your stuff and a $20 watch can tell time. But the nice ones make you feel good - if you really appreciate the quality.

I personally have an addiction to jewelry and shoes, so what?
thank you, good post
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #41
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep

Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
thank you, good post
she's kind of a bitch, but she makes a good point doesn't she?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #42
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Hey Monetego!!!..

Blast from the past right there. haha.
Hi! How are you?

I've been lurking back around a little.
Sprinkling a little bitch dust here and there.
      01-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #43
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Hi! How are you?

I've been lurking back around a little.
Sprinkling a little bitch dust here and there.
I'm good....just hanging in.

Happy you're back (even if it's just a little while). This forum could use some bitch dust these days.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #44
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Drives: Bandwagon

Women like expensive purses for the same reason they date guys with expensive cars.... They think it makes them look hotter.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread