New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-24-2024, 10:57 AM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I wouldn't touch a Kia/Hyundai product with a 10 foot pole given their poor long-term reliability. Most any mechanic would not recommend a Kia/Hyundai product either.

If you're goal is to only have one or two children, something like a RAV4, Mazda CX-50, Honda CRV or Ridgeline, Highlander, etc. are all good choices. Sure, the BMWs SUVs would be nice too, but kids are kind of messy. I'm pretty partial to the Mazda SUVs as Mazda has a very German like quality with the controls, fit and finish, clean designs, more focused on handling, etc. We had a RAV4 hybrid as a week long rental in FL last week. It was alright, but was full of rattles at 10K miles and had lots and lots of cheap and hard plastics. It's a pretty basic vehicle. My son' 2020 Mazda 3 Premium felt like a Bentley in comparison.

We raised out two kids in Subaru wagons over the years. The 2015 Outback 3.6R, which now my 15 y/o daughter's car, was absolutely perfect. All the creature comforts you need like heated seats all around, reclining rear seats, tons of year leg room, 30mpg on the highway, drive over/thru most anything, quick, and very reliable. When we needed more room for gear on longer trips, I mounted up a roof top carrier and/or the trailer hitch carrier. My wife now has a 4Runner which also has plenty of room and capability, but dismal MPGs.
jmack548.50
      06-24-2024, 11:40 AM   #24
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I can't take an opinion that Hyundai/Kia reliability is bad when someone turns around and suggests a MAZDA seriously. Those SkyActiv motors are so high strung they don't last at all. They're seriously like 15:1 compression in a gas motor. Not a problem if you're gonna lease or sell it after warranty, but I don't like to buy stuff that I know isn't gonna be running in 10-15 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 12:10 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I can't take an opinion that Hyundai/Kia reliability is bad when someone turns around and suggests a MAZDA seriously. Those SkyActiv motors are so high strung they don't last at all. They're seriously like 15:1 compression in a gas motor. Not a problem if you're gonna lease or sell it after warranty, but I don't like to buy stuff that I know isn't gonna be running in 10-15 years.
Hyundai/Kia long term reliability, overall, is pretty dismal, especially electronics and drivetrains. Not a good combo. You'd be a sucker to own one of those cars out of warranty.

2012+ Mazdas are quite reliable. They've had some issues with the turbo motors, but that's been addressed. The Sky Activ NA motors are quite reliable and have been out since 2012. In the US, they run a 13:1 compression ratio (not 14:1 like in Europe). The Sky Activ NA motors are some of the most reliable motors on the market. Just because they have a high compression ratio doesn't mean they are stressed.
      06-24-2024, 12:36 PM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Newer Koreans may be better but can confirm I have been looking at the bottom end of the very basic DD market and the Korean transmissions were made of glass from like 2008 to 2016. SO MANY tranny issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 03:15 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Newer Koreans may be better but can confirm I have been looking at the bottom end of the very basic DD market and the Korean transmissions were made of glass from like 2008 to 2016. SO MANY tranny issues.
.....and LOTS of engine recalls and failures.
      06-24-2024, 03:17 PM   #28
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I hear people say "Mazdas are reliable" a lot, but intell.you, I don't see many of them that are more than 3-5 years old.out on the road. Sure as heck don't see many that are 10 years old. 15? Forget it. I had a friend who had a Mazda 3, her door handle fell OFF. Completely off the car. Lucky for her she picked it up and I was able.to.epoxy it back together,

That said, you don't see a lot of Hyundai's and Kias from those vintages around either. You know what you do see a lot of from that vintage? Highlanders, Tahoes, Expeditions, Explorers, and Pilots. Probably speaks volumes there.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 03:25 PM   #29
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Pilots suffer from the same transmission issues. There was this thing between about 2008ish and 2015ish were it seems to have been a terrible time for transmissions. Every Nissan has a huge question mark all over it.

The domestics look like garbage after 10 years, beat to shit, rust everywhere and creaking like crazy, especially the land yachts.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 04:37 PM   #30
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
I hear people say "Mazdas are reliable" a lot, but intell.you, I don't see many of them that are more than 3-5 years old.out on the road. Sure as heck don't see many that are 10 years old. 15? Forget it. I had a friend who had a Mazda 3, her door handle fell OFF. Completely off the car. Lucky for her she picked it up and I was able.to.epoxy it back together,

That said, you don't see a lot of Hyundai's and Kias from those vintages around either. You know what you do see a lot of from that vintage? Highlanders, Tahoes, Expeditions, Explorers, and Pilots. Probably speaks volumes there.

Any Toyota or Honda can be repaired ad infinitum.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #31
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Pilots suffer from the same transmission issues. There was this thing between about 2008ish and 2015ish were it seems to have been a terrible time for transmissions. Every Nissan has a huge question mark all over it.

The domestics look like garbage after 10 years, beat to shit, rust everywhere and creaking like crazy, especially the land yachts.
Not down here in the south. We don't have rust issues, so they just last. A lady in my neighborhood has a 2003-2004ish suburban that looks and sounds and drives like brand new. No oil leaks, the paint looks great, the thing is truly immaculate looking.

Domestic vehicles may rust more, I couldn't tell you, but take rust out of the picture like down here and the domestics are WAY more likely to be rolling around without issues at 15-20 years old.
Appreciate 1
DocL2047.00
      06-25-2024, 12:41 PM   #32
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hear people say "Mazdas are reliable" a lot, but intell.you, I don't see many of them that are more than 3-5 years old.out on the road. Sure as heck don't see many that are 10 years old. 15? Forget it. I had a friend who had a Mazda 3, her door handle fell OFF. Completely off the car. Lucky for her she picked it up and I was able.to.epoxy it back together,.
Maybe you're thinking 2000s and earlier high mileage Mazdas? Weird stuff breaks on cars as they age. A door handle that falls off seem pretty minor and common to lots of makes, especially for those of us that live in cold climates where door handles freeze. Lots of people break their door handles here in Kansas City because the car entombed in ice in the winter.

I see lots of 2000s era Mazdas running around KC, but most are beat up just like any other 20+y/o car you see on the road. I have a number of friends with 10-15+ y/o Miatas and Mazda 3s and CX-5s. They're all great, reliable, in great shape, and super easy (and cheap) to work on.

I think 2015+ Mazdas are severely underrated. Most non-car people look to Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, and Subaru first. I like it because it keeps Mazda prices pretty reasonable in comparison plus you're going to get a car with near Toyota levels of reliability but a far more modern and higher quality interior, and a sportier driving experience.
      06-25-2024, 12:47 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not down here in the south. We don't have rust issues, so they just last. A lady in my neighborhood has a 2003-2004ish suburban that looks and sounds and drives like brand new. No oil leaks, the paint looks great, the thing is truly immaculate looking.

Domestic vehicles may rust more, I couldn't tell you, but take rust out of the picture like down here and the domestics are WAY more likely to be rolling around without issues at 15-20 years old.
A 2003-2004 Suburban would have been in the crusher 10 years ago if it lived life in the Northeast Watch the YouTube channel "South Main Auto LLC" if you want to see just how quickly salty winters kill a chassis, subframe, frame, suspension, etc. Most vehicles, domestic or not, are dangerously rusted out in 10 years in areas with heavy salt use.
      06-27-2024, 04:05 PM   #34
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I just find all the talk about Mazda and Hyundai reliability amusing... in a BMW forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 08:54 PM   #35
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Check out CX-5 Carbon Turbo or Signature Turbo. I was surprised with good steering feel and handling that has very small amount of roll but good damping. You get 6at xmsn and no hybrid gremlins. Should be much easier to maintain. I refuse to buy cars with cvt. The trunk is ok but you can also add cargo box if you want. The controls and switch gear are like what bmw used to have - pleasure to use and straight fwd! The only thing I would add are slightly wider tires.

Another option is x3 or x5 just avoid years with mild hybrid battery if you plan to keep it longer.

Not sure if wagon is an option.
Appreciate 1
DanG11336.50
      07-01-2024, 07:57 AM   #36
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I have an X3 as a loaner right now. It's too small to be a family car. My son (under 3) if he moves he kicks the seat back. My daughter (18 months) her rear facing seat is squished against the back of the seat. We can't fit our stroller (Uppababy Vista) in the back with anything else of any significance.

For a single child, you could fold down one side of the seats and get a bit more room. For two, forget it. For one plus a grandparent, woof. 2 grandparents, forget about it.

My X5, while noticeably roomier than the X3, still struggles with space for 2 kids. We can make it work, but having the Expedition for family trips to Costco or Sam's club is way preferable.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 08:30 AM   #37
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 Comp 6spd

Quote:

Absolutely correct. I have a POS 2016 Chevy Traverse to haul my kids and dogs around and it has been very reliable except for the transmission. I had to have it rebuilt at 80k miles and it's a known issue with the platform. Otherwise with 106k miles on it I'm gonna try to drive it until it dies. I've never owned a car long enough to put over 100k miles on it so this will be a challenge for me lol.
      07-01-2024, 09:33 AM   #38
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Honda CRV Hybrid Touring. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. 2020 X5 and F80 M3 in the garage too.

Honda hit a grand slam with this vehicle.
Appreciate 1
AG23359.50
      07-01-2024, 01:22 PM   #39
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My X5, while noticeably roomier than the X3, still struggles with space for 2 kids. We can make it work, but having the Expedition for family trips to Costco or Sam's club is way preferable.
An X5 isn't roomy enough for two kids so one must need an Expedition for Costco runs?!?!? This is about the most America F-Yeah thing I've read in a while.

I'm sitting here trying to think how my wife and I managed taking 4 to 15 hour road trips/vacations/camping with our two kids in a midsize Subaru wagon from the time they were infants until they were teens. I always had a midsize sedan, compact hatch, or coupe. BUT, we are also a family that can pack for a 7-10 day vacation by simply taking a backpack each.
Mavus2159.50
Alfisti6797.00
      07-01-2024, 03:45 PM   #40
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
An X5 isn't roomy enough for two kids so one must need an Expedition for Costco runs?!?!? This is about the most America F-Yeah thing I've read in a while.

I'm sitting here trying to think how my wife and I managed taking 4 to 15 hour road trips/vacations/camping with our two kids in a midsize Subaru wagon from the time they were infants until they were teens. I always had a midsize sedan, compact hatch, or coupe. BUT, we are also a family that can pack for a 7-10 day vacation by simply taking a backpack each.
Lol, a backpack each for just a week? That's wild. My wife packages a full carry on for 2-3 days for just herself lol.

The Sam's club toilet paper pack takes up most of the rear of my X5 on its own. That ignores bringing a stroller, diaper bag, etc. If we buy toilet paper and Gatorade or something, we are about capped out on space with the stroller in the car, not stacking stuff to block the rear window, and not having stuff stacked everywhere else in the car.

We could make it work, don't get me wrong. But why on earth would we spend big money to hack to work around a size limitation constantly?

Anyways, America, F yeah!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 04:40 PM   #41
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
Doing research on a new car for my wife and would value any input from the community.
My wife currently leases a Honda HRV which she is turning in at the end of August.
We have a baby on the way and I'd like to get something that is safe, fuel efficient, has comfortable seats, has sufficient space for stroller/bags/etc and reliable long term.
Only planning for 1 child so we do not need anything huge.
Safety is the main concern.
Reviews seem to be all over the place.
At one point was considering a cpo x3 but it may be a little small.
Kia Tellurides have good reviews but I have no experience with the brand.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If safety is your main concern then Mazda is the best of anybody
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 08:54 PM   #42
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:

we should all get Expedition to go buy toilet paper at Sam’s and not buy a smaller pack in reg store or have it delivered. Makes perfect sense!

I may get a trailer and cargo box also for Gatorade and snacks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 09:09 PM   #43
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:

i packed a wife, 3 teens, a dog and all their stuff into my 3 series touring last year. unfortunately they all wanted a Kia EV so that's what we pack them into nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 06:44 AM   #44
AG23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 24 M3 6MT and 24 X3

Appreciate all of the comments and insight. Looking at an Acura MDX tomorrow.
Appreciate 0