New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #23
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

A friend of mine bought a 2021 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid limited for about 3k ($2756.60) less than a 2019 that the dealer had on their lot. The thing was, that he bought it in August, and he was suppose to get at the end of September, but he only got it the 2nd week of December. They kept postponing the delivery date by about 2 weeks every time it was time for him to pick it up. If you can wait, I would buy a new one. At the end of all that, he got a set of winter tires with rims for his troubles
Appreciate 1
M_Six18927.00
      01-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #24
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
New cars drive me insane, they are always yelling at me.
No, that's actually your wife.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25274.50
UncleWede18362.00
minn1914610.00
Dino GT35063.50
      01-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #25
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino GT View Post
A friend of mine bought a 2021 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid limited for about 3k ($2756.60) less than a 2019 that the dealer had on their lot. The thing was, that he bought it in August, and he was suppose to get at the end of September, but he only got it the 2nd week of December. They kept postponing the delivery date by about 2 weeks every time it was time for him to pick it up. If you can wait, I would buy a new one. At the end of all that, he got a set of winter tires with rims for his troubles
I can wait. I'm going to be stuck for a while anyway. The adjuster won't even see the car until Monday, a full week after the accident. Then they need to wait on parts, fix the left rear suspension, then get it to the body shop to get the front and rear damage fixed. I'm figuring a month at least. If the Honda dealer still has the CR-V Hybrid on the lot then, maybe I'll see what they're asking for it.

As much as I don't like the GLC, I can live with it if need be. I'm not going to take a beating just to move to something else.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35063.50
      01-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
No, that's actually your wife.
This is true recently. She has always approved of my driving but for the last 12 months she has become increasingly yelly at me, claiming i am driving like a lunatic, getting too close to everyone etc. Now, i know for a fact i am driving the same, i would say as much, she would go ballistic saying I am going to kill them all (I have never had an accident btw). Cue massive conflict.

So a few months back, I rent a Turo and she picks me up after I drop it off and I decide to get in the passenger seat on the drive home, she usually prefers that I drive but in this case i just jumped in the car and this was the first time in 3 years i'd say that I was a passenger to her driving.

GOOD GOD.

I dead set feared for my life. This was white knuckle stuff. She is visibly nervous, driving as you'd imagine a squirrel would, sharp and harsh inputs, but driving slow, always on the brake even on the freeway but jabbing at it, jerking. Her knuckles clenching the wheel, the car jerking from lane to lane then suddenly coming to a DEAD SET CRAWL because "this ramp is scary".

Then it hit me. Her eyewear prescriptions are 9.3 and 10.9, and she had not had a test in 3 years. SHe can't fucking see.

So now she can drive herself but not the kids. Banned.
Appreciate 3
M_Six18927.00
stein_325i25274.50
Dino GT35063.50
      01-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I almost always drive, but when Wifey picked me up after getting rear-ended this week, I opted for the passenger seat. I have to admit to being a bit freaked out at how fast Wifey was driving. I guess it's just the normal "not being in control" thing.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35063.50
      01-08-2022, 10:51 PM   #28
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

If I were you , I would trade it for GLB or GLE if the budget allows
      01-08-2022, 10:56 PM   #29
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
If I were you , I would trade it for GLB or GLE if the budget allows
Thanks, but I bet the same things that I hate about my GLC will be present in a GLB. Same stupid gear selection mode, same lame onboard computer, etc. I'm done with MB vehicles.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #30
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I almost always drive, but when Wifey picked me up after getting rear-ended this week, I opted for the passenger seat. I have to admit to being a bit freaked out at how fast Wifey was driving. I guess it's just the normal "not being in control" thing.
I always drive, but the odd time that the wife drives, she drives me nuts . She drives to slow for my liking and leaves so much space between cars that I can`t stand it. She takes forever to leave from a stop sign that sometimes I tell her, goooooooo, what are you waiting for, Christmas?
A couple of months ago she got a ticket for not making a complete stop at a stop sign, so now she blames me for it
We go for drives all the time, and she loves it, but for a couple of years now she is always telling me to slow down, and when I`m driving to close to someone, she asks me, what`s your plan, over or under?
So lately when she starts telling what to do, I joke with her that we are going to take separate cars on our next drive
Appreciate 1
M_Six18927.00
      01-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I can wait. I'm going to be stuck for a while anyway. The adjuster won't even see the car until Monday, a full week after the accident. Then they need to wait on parts, fix the left rear suspension, then get it to the body shop to get the front and rear damage fixed. I'm figuring a month at least. If the Honda dealer still has the CR-V Hybrid on the lot then, maybe I'll see what they're asking for it.

As much as I don't like the GLC, I can live with it if need be. I'm not going to take a beating just to move to something else.
Let's hope it is a month. I just got my car back after over a month of being in the body shop. All due to parts delays. To compound the issue, State Farm has a max of $1000 it'll pay in rental car fees. I blew through that a few days before my car was ready. State Farm knows about all the parts problems but is choosing not to extend coverage. Parts problems that have been pretty much universal across the board for everyone.

When I picked up my car, the body shop guy said I am lucky. Even though it took a long time to get my car done, he said a lady with the same car as mine isn't so lucky. She had similar damage to her car where she hit an errant tire on the road. Where as Toyota was indicating my parts were on back order, he said many of those same parts are now listed as waiting on being manufactured with no ETA on when that is going to happen.

The state of things with anything automotive is just one big $hit show.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18927.00
      01-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #32
The Libertine
Major
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X4 M40i

Quote:
I'm done with MB vehicles.
Most disappointing brand I ever owned.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18927.00
      01-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #33
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Let's hope it is a month. I just got my car back after over a month of being in the body shop. All due to parts delays. To compound the issue, State Farm has a max of $1000 it'll pay in rental car fees. I blew through that a few days before my car was ready. State Farm knows about all the parts problems but is choosing not to extend coverage. Parts problems that have been pretty much universal across the board for everyone.

When I picked up my car, the body shop guy said I am lucky. Even though it took a long time to get my car done, he said a lady with the same car as mine isn't so lucky. She had similar damage to her car where she hit an errant tire on the road. Where as Toyota was indicating my parts were on back order, he said many of those same parts are now listed as waiting on being manufactured with no ETA on when that is going to happen.

The state of things with anything automotive is just one big $hit show.
That's what I'm worried about. If need be, we could get along with just Wifey's car. She works just a few miles from home, so I could drive her there and pick her up and then have her car all day. And since these will be MB parts, I'm hoping there isn't a supply issue. The body parts can wait if it comes to that. The damage isn't bad enough to keep me from driving it. It's the rear suspension that needs to be repaired before I can drive it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about. If need be, we could get along with just Wifey's car. She works just a few miles from home, so I could drive her there and pick her up and then have her car all day. And since these will be MB parts, I'm hoping there isn't a supply issue. The body parts can wait if it comes to that. The damage isn't bad enough to keep me from driving it. It's the rear suspension that needs to be repaired before I can drive it.
My body shop wouldn't start work on my car until they had a assurances from Toyota that the parts would be available within a reasonable time frame. But when my car went in and they put the official order in for the parts, the ETA on the parts immediately changed to back order. From what I gather it's very much a day by day situation....IF.....the parts are in the distribution chain. If the parts need to be manufactured, who knows when they'll show up.

Also, my car was perfectly drivable too. No damage other than body work from hitting a rat with antlers. But my car was torn too far down for me to go get my car and drive it until the parts come in. When they tore down the car, there was additional damage discovered and they were not going to go through the hassle to piece my car back together so I can drive it again unrepaired.

Your situation may allow you to have that option but I'm not sure the body shop would allow you to drive the car once they take possession of it without the job being totally done. Or if the insurance company would allow that either.
Appreciate 0