New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-06-2024, 10:28 AM   #23
afman916
Rep

Drives: BMW m440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPJ View Post
What event are you looking at attending?
I was looking at this one -

Fri, Sep 13 - Sun, Sep 15
Tarheel & Toe HPDS Fall '24
BMW CCA - Tarheel Chapter
Virginia International Raceway , Alton, VA
HPDE

Think that would be a good starter event?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 12:13 PM   #24
CTPJ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afman916 View Post
I was looking at this one -

Fri, Sep 13 - Sun, Sep 15
Tarheel & Toe HPDS Fall '24
BMW CCA - Tarheel Chapter
Virginia International Raceway , Alton, VA
HPDE

Think that would be a good starter event?
Absolutely. I haven't personally run with them but have friends that have and have heard good things about their events. Maybe there are others on this forum that have and could provide their thoughts as well. I currently run with PCA as my track car is a GT4.

I took a quick look at the Tarheel chapter HPDS website and there's a lot of good information there. https://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html .
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 01:06 PM   #25
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
I have always been told that if you crash it at the track insurance won't cover. Is that true or is it policy dependent?
Most if not all have fixed their language - they say s/t like not covering events 'on a race track or off-road surface'. And tracks will take VIN from anything they tow off, so you can't do the 'I hit a deer right outside of Watkins Glen'. Track insurance isn't cheap, but it is worth it. I know 2 people who had good results from Lockton (paid as promised and w/o much document hassling). Also, the type of incidents that cause damage are relatively rare, especially for beginners who are being reasonable and working within their instructor's guidelines. Mostly it is getting the rubber streaks off, and trying to wipe that stupid grin off your face for the following week or two.
Appreciate 3
CTPJ273.50
vreihen1619089.00
Buug95921303.00
      06-06-2024, 02:41 PM   #26
afman916
Rep

Drives: BMW m440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPJ View Post
Absolutely. I haven't personally run with them but have friends that have and have heard good things about their events. Maybe there are others on this forum that have and could provide their thoughts as well. I currently run with PCA as my track car is a GT4.

I took a quick look at the Tarheel chapter HPDS website and there's a lot of good information there. https://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html .
Great! Think I'm going to commit to this once the registration opens up.

Other than a helmet and good tires, what all do I need/how should I prepare? I have a YT video from kern417 pulled up that goes over some of the basics for "your first track day", but figured I'd ask here as well.

Excited!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 10:35 AM   #27
CTPJ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afman916 View Post
Great! Think I'm going to commit to this once the registration opens up.

Other than a helmet and good tires, what all do I need/how should I prepare? I have a YT video from kern417 pulled up that goes over some of the basics for "your first track day", but figured I'd ask here as well.

Excited!
In addition to the manditory pre-event tech inspection, make sure your wheels are properly torqued and that your brake system is freshly flushed. As this is your first event, the BMW OE fluid should be fine, however, for added safety margins you can always upgrade to something like Motul SRF600 or 660. You may also may want to watch some YouTube videos to get yourself familiar with the track layout. There are many good ones out there such as this one.

Appreciate 1
Buug95921303.00