New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #23
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
I have been using Eeros for a couple of years in FL. They work great for me. Have not had any problem with connectivity to several cameras outside the home, as well as great Zoom-type calls on two machines simultaneously (wife and I were working from home).

In Ohio, I have a UniFi switch with four combo access points throughout the home. Each access point has WiFi and some PoE-enabled Ethernet connections. Also works flawlessly for video meetings and Nest devices.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-18-2024, 06:07 PM   #24
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW M235i, 2024 GLC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
My house is 4 floors built in 1864. It’s built with stone/stucco/horsehair/brick and God knows what else so of course Wi-Fi is a nightmare here.

I also like a bit of tech -13 Sonos wireless speakers (running cable is also a nightmare), cameras, door locks, thermostat, smoke alarm, smart plugs, you get the picture.

I’ve tried extenders, but never ended up with good results.

I had decent coverage with my last router but just replaced it with a Netgear Orbi 960 on my 3rd floor, and 1 satellite on my 2nd floor. The coverage is unbelievable. It even reaches to my back yard now and even the Sonos (everybody is having problems with since a recent new release) works perfectly.

The week after I bought it, they released a 7 series for way less money which I’d bet would be just as good, but oh well
I recently installed an Orbi WiFi router with 2 included satellites. Now I have
coverage in not only the entire house, but also our entire 1/3 acre yard. This
is very handy when looking for an irrigation leak; I can walk around the yard with my iPad while telling my WiFi Rainbird irrigation controller which circuit
to run, plus duration.

Expert ultracrepidarian
Appreciate 3
wrickem2139.00
chassis7560.50
ppointer814.50
      07-18-2024, 08:20 PM   #25
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I just ordered a WiFi extender and now I guess I’m returning. I read through some of these and let’s just say everything is freaking foreign. My router is in the middle of my house but the signal isn’t strong enough to keep a constant feed to my tv in the outdoor kitchen. That’s the only reason I bought the extender. Now, yall have me thinking I need to do something else. If I send what I currently have would someone be willing to share with me their thoughts on what I need to either add or upgrade?
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-18-2024, 10:05 PM   #26
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I just ordered a WiFi extender and now I guess I’m returning. I read through some of these and let’s just say everything is freaking foreign. My router is in the middle of my house but the signal isn’t strong enough to keep a constant feed to my tv in the outdoor kitchen. That’s the only reason I bought the extender. Now, yall have me thinking I need to do something else. If I send what I currently have would someone be willing to share with me their thoughts on what I need to either add or upgrade?
I think the first thing is to make sure you're running either WiFi 5 or the newer 6. Second to that is to check your speed at speedtest.net.

For a computer on the other end of the house you can do a Netgear Nighthawk 3.0 adapter, but for a TV it might be a bit more difficult.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3178.00
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 07:15 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
As I said above, dump the extender and get a wireless mesh system. Turn off the wireless function of your router and let the mesh system handle all of your wireless networking.
Appreciate 3
wrickem2139.00
chassis7560.50
ppointer814.50
      07-19-2024, 07:51 AM   #28
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
As I said above, dump the extender and get a wireless mesh system. Turn off the wireless function of your router and let the mesh system handle all of your wireless networking.
A mesh system is just a multiple routers/wifi system that works together vs 1 router/wifi trying to emit a single signal, right? The extender is trying to do the same thing, it's just not made to do it as correctly and efficiently, right?
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 08:27 AM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
A mesh system is just a multiple routers/wifi system that works together vs 1 router/wifi trying to emit a single signal, right? The extender is trying to do the same thing, it's just not made to do it as correctly and efficiently, right?
Sort of. Mesh systems are a subset of what has been used in business environments for years where multiple access points are managed as a single unified system. The standard deployment model for wireless APs is to have the located where the highest concentration of mobile devices are and then running wired Ethernet connection(s) back to a central controller. The advantage of doing this is central management in regards to controlling RF output between adjacent APs, steering wireless clients to the next best AP during roaming situations, automatic channel selection between APs, etc, etc.

Mesh systems have migrated to home use due to the advancement in technologies. Mesh systems use a dedicated wireless backhaul to send traffic back to a wired gateway. A wired gateway is a mesh node that not only services wireless clients but is plugged into the wired network.

Extenders don't use a dedicated wireless backhaul. They use the same radio that is used for wireless client connectivity to send/receive traffic back from a wireless AP/router. What an exender looks like to the wireless AP/router is that it's a wireless client to that AP/router. Because of this behavior, it adds latency to the network and it divides the bandwidth over the extender in half.

Other features that an extender won't have are multi-user MIMO and beam forming.

As I keep saying, there's no excuse not to use a proper solution with the various mesh wireless solutions out there for home users.
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic14929.50
chassis7560.50
KevinC3413.00
      07-19-2024, 08:48 AM   #30
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
“Other features that an extender won't have are multi-user MIMO“

What is a layperson’s summary of this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2024, 09:12 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
“Other features that an extender won't have are multi-user MIMO“

What is a layperson’s summary of this? Thanks.
Allows multiple wireless streams to multiple devices simultaneously. Increases network efficiency and speed.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 09:16 AM   #32
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Sort of. Mesh systems are a subset of what has been used in business environments for years where multiple access points are managed as a single unified system. As I keep saying, there's no excuse not to use a proper solution with the various mesh wireless solutions out there for home users.
I have a friend selling his google wifi system, it's a gen5. Is that a mesh type system?
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 09:30 AM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have a friend selling his google wifi system, it's a gen5. Is that a mesh type system?
Yes it is. Google WiFi, Eero, Linksys Velop, and Netgear Orbi are all examples of mesh systems. If you want to go with something nicer with business level features at a somewhat affordable price, go with Ubiquiti. Ubiquiti has a cult like following with the home IT geeks. Lots of resources and forums discussing Ubiquiti products.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic14929.50
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 09:42 AM   #34
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is. Google WiFi, Eero, Linksys Velop, and Netgear Orbi are all examples of mesh systems. If you want to go with something nicer with business level features at a somewhat affordable price, go with Ubiquiti. Ubiquiti has a cult like following with the home IT geeks. Lots of resources and forums discussing Ubiquiti products.
It's dirt cheap, and would be for home use.

I honestly don't have an issue except when I'm trying to watch videos on my phone on the opposite side of the house or in the basement, where I have a computer set up for DIY tutorial purposes. At present I'm unable to use it because it connects at 10mb.

A friend suggested the Nighthawk wi-fi adapter, so I'm trying that first.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 01:34 PM   #35
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think the first thing is to make sure you're running either WiFi 5 or the newer 6. Second to that is to check your speed at speedtest.net.

For a computer on the other end of the house you can do a Netgear Nighthawk 3.0 adapter, but for a TV it might be a bit more difficult.
Where do I find out if I’m running WiFi 5 or newer 6?
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 01:36 PM   #36
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I found a mesh system I can pick up at Best Buy. This is literally only to get a TV running uninterrupted signal wise. Does it matter which brand I use? They come in a pack of 3. I literally have no clue so excuse my lack of knowledge.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 04:19 PM   #37
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G87 with a Stick

I am a CI. And my preference is Aruba "InstantOn" and EERO. and router from Firewalla. I got call back less than 2 times within the last 6 years.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3755.50
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 04:26 PM   #38
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
I found a mesh system I can pick up at Best Buy. This is literally only to get a TV running uninterrupted signal wise. Does it matter which brand I use? They come in a pack of 3. I literally have no clue so excuse my lack of knowledge.
It matters because some are easier to set up and keep running than others.

My experience is now three years old, so an Internet eternity, but when I had Velop I often had to reset it (pull power plug on all four units, then turn them on starting with the one connected to the modem via Ethernet cable and then each one as they came fully online. Took about 10-12 minutes to bring up the entire system.

We now use Amplifi Alien (but just one unit which has better range and so we don’t need the satellites) and it is very robust.

You will need do download the app for your phone, tablet or pc to manage them. This allows you to change the passwords, set up guest networks, etc., if you want to. On the Alien, I can see speeds, users and other info as well as reset/restart it from the iPad without having to get off my butt and go to the unit - this allows the unit to be less accessible but better located to get the signal where we need it.

Look at some reviews online of the ones you’ve seen, Amazon and BestBuy.com are good sources to start with.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 04:33 PM   #39
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
You can look at your current router settings (or its documentation online) and the devices you have connected to it. For example, if I go to the Roku site and look at my devices, I can tell they are old and have much more limited WiFi capability than my router could serve.

In our case, we have no devices with WiFi 6 capability and only a few with WiFi 5. We are not planning to update any of those in the next few years so we’re happy with a WiFi 5 capable set up. We’re using Roku to stream (two TVs), Ring doorbell, Sonos speakers, security cameras, and computers, tablets and phones. I think our thermostat also is WiFi connected and there is probably at least one other device I’m forgetting. A WiFi 6 router should be backward compatible to all of our old devices, but until we have some WiFi 6 devices it is unnecessary.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 05:58 PM   #40
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
WiFi 5 is what everyone knows as 802.11ac. There are two flavors of AC...phase 1 and phase 2. Of course phase 2 is better to have. WiFi 6 is what is known as 802.11ax. The big change with AX is the use of the 6 GHz carrier frequency. There is also an updated standard called WiFi 6E. Not many devices are out with AX capability but that will change over time. The reason the adoption of WiFi 6 hasn't really taken hold as quickly is because WiFi 6 is not backwards compatible with the previous WiFi standards. So if you run WiFi 6 but have other devices on the earlier standards, you have to run two different wireless systems.

Devices that are 802.11ax will operate in 802.11ac mode but not both at the same time. It's one or the other.

Other than looking at the available options for the wireless NIC or the access point, you'll have to look up the specs to determine if it'll support 5 or 6.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3755.50
chassis7560.50
      07-19-2024, 05:59 PM   #41
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've heard good things about Orbi and as stated here Velop seems to be a bit buggy. Maybe the issues have been addressed with firmware and hardware updates.
Appreciate 2
chassis7560.50
2000cs3755.50
      07-19-2024, 08:01 PM   #42
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 e92 M3

The ubiquity AP was piss easy to setup with the phone app.
Appreciate 3
chassis7560.50
2000cs3755.50
ekaz80.50
      07-20-2024, 12:09 PM   #43
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I'm using this TP-Link mesh setup for the last year.. awesome coverage in our 2400 sq foot house plus great coverage in the back yard. Great management tools. VERY happy with it, and the price is right...

https://a.co/d/5CrOzUa
chassis7560.50
      07-24-2024, 03:09 PM   #44
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

I have been running a DECO system for years that fully cover the two stories of my house which is old plaster with lath with one node on each floor and the backyard that is covered with a third node that sits near a window.
Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50