New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Drives: gti

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Stern maybe?
he can try but it's like close to Ivy League...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #24
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

try usc
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #25
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
try usc
you can buy your way into uni. of southern cali
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #26
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 330i

how is NYU/Stern close to the ivy league?
      10-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Apply to most of the SUNYs and call it a day.
Get good grades and try to transfer out after 2 years, or do grad school in a hot Ivy plus.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #28
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
location, location, location.
i remember the days when NYU was hardly worth mentioning. now it is outright HOT.
felicity effect, perhaps?

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #29
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I think Bucknell or Colgate would be great choices. Also check out Barnard, Davidson, and Clarkson.
I'm pretty sure any poster calling [oneself] "ballingboi" would have a hard time getting into Barnard.
God I LOVE Barnard chicks so much I married one

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #30
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
NYU is considered a "dream school," its not technically ivy league but it's definitely as desirable as one. Where else can you go to one of the best ranked schools in one of the greatest cities in the world?

Oh yeah, and Barnard is GIRLS ONLY.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #31
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
he can try but it's like close to Ivy League...
I suppose, actually its one of the best MBA programs in the states... But I'm just saying.. because I know a few people that got in there out of pure luck. I know a lot of NYU people and some of them arent the brightest on our planet ... but most of them are in the other schools, not Stern. Getting into NYU and getting into NYU Stern is on a completely different level lol

I have a few friends that go to USC that are into accounting.. another friend thats an art major at USC (wtf? ) though I think he only went there because he was so shocked that he got in, that and to party --;;
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #32
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
NYU is considered a "dream school," its not technically ivy league but it's definitely as desirable as one. Where else can you go to one of the best ranked schools in one of the greatest cities in the world?

Oh yeah, and Barnard is GIRLS ONLY.
+1 I know somebody that goes there too... total weirdo, I swear everybody that goes to that school falls under the categories of lesbian, hippy, feminist, etc... and the ones that join the peace corp
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #33
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
I'm pretty sure any poster calling [oneself] "ballingboi" would have a hard time getting into Barnard.
God I LOVE Barnard chicks so much I married one
plz disregard my post above LOL (obviously I've only basted my opinion on 1 person I know that goes there and the rest is the plain old stereotyping )
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #34
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stern is in almost all of the ranking charts..... pretty impressive IMO
http://www.mba4success.com/rank_usa.php
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #35
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
hmm, i went to stern undergrad. i graduated with finance/accounting - class of 04 and i know back then it was pretty tough to get into. alot of sternies tend to be arrogant and very snobby but truth is, we're all all wharton rejects =P

but with that said, unless you're going to stern, tisch or school of ed, would not bother applying to the rest. at that point, you're paying a premium just to be in the city and with a school that lives off all its grad programs (nyu law, med, dentistry, and business). but the college of arts n sci is not all that, and you'll get the same jobs as kids who went to "lesser" schools

but stern was pretty amazing, especially if you're focused on finance or accounting. its one of the few undergrad programs that has an accounting major tailored for cpa's and its finance program is right behind wharton. and while the markets are crap now, when things pick up, no better place to be studying at a school few subway stops away from wall street.

curriculum wise, its pretty decent. i wont lie, we use the same textbooks as most other schools but stern gives you so many opportunities that you wouldn't get at other schools. for example, you get a one week paid trip to asia/europe/s.america during your junior year for a business trip. and the campus recruiting is right up there with the ivys (if you're going into ibanking or sales/trading, imagine 10 spots. 7 go to ivys, and the last 3 are left for stern, umich and the likes).

i wouldn't say nyu is "ivy" level but its business program is just as good if not better (most ivys dont even have an undergrad business program). i could've gone to cornell n gtown but cornell's "business" program and mcdonough just don't compare. with that said, you dont need to get into a business school either. i've done alot of undergrad grad recruiting for my past 2 employers (both major bulge bracket ibanks) and we actually prefer a diverse mix of students (liberal arts, engineering, etc.) you'll quickly learn that whatever you need to know in "business" can be taught in a 4-6 week accounting/finance summer bootcamp.

just whatever you go, get a solid gpa in any major (business related or not), try to take 1 or 2 business courses just to show that you have some interest, and try to land a solid internship or two before full-time recruiting.
      10-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
hmm, i went to stern undergrad. i graduated with finance/accounting - class of 04 and i know back then it was pretty tough to get into. alot of sternies tend to be arrogant and very snobby but truth is, we're all all wharton rejects =P

but with that said, unless you're going to stern, tisch or school of ed, would not bother applying to the rest. at that point, you're paying a premium just to be in the city and with a school that lives off all its grad programs (nyu law, med, dentistry, and business). but the college of arts n sci is not all that, and you'll get the same jobs as kids who went to "lesser" schools

but stern was pretty amazing, especially if you're focused on finance or accounting. its one of the few undergrad programs that has an accounting major tailored for cpa's and its finance program is right behind wharton. and while the markets are crap now, when things pick up, no better place to be studying at a school few subway stops away from wall street.

curriculum wise, its pretty decent. i wont lie, we use the same textbooks as most other schools but stern gives you so many opportunities that you wouldn't get at other schools. for example, you get a one week paid trip to asia/europe/s.america during your junior year for a business trip. and the campus recruiting is right up there with the ivys (if you're going into ibanking or sales/trading, imagine 10 spots. 7 go to ivys, and the last 3 are left for stern, umich and the likes).

i wouldn't say nyu is "ivy" level but its business program is just as good if not better (most ivys dont even have an undergrad business program). i could've gone to cornell n gtown but cornell's "business" program and mcdonough just don't compare. with that said, you dont need to get into a business school either. i've done alot of undergrad grad recruiting for my past 2 employers (both major bulge bracket ibanks) and we actually prefer a diverse mix of students (liberal arts, engineering, etc.) you'll quickly learn that whatever you need to know in "business" can be taught in a 4-6 week accounting/finance summer bootcamp.

just whatever you go, get a solid gpa in any major (business related or not), try to take 1 or 2 business courses just to show that you have some interest, and try to land a solid internship or two before full-time recruiting.
+1 to everything you just said, there you have it OT everything you need to know about Stern.
don't forget the networking and internship opportunities in the city, the biggest gateway city in the US that is..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #37
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
btw, OP, i just read your post... "business management" is pretty bull$hit on the undergrad level. if i were you, i wouldn't apply to those specialty b-schools like babson. even after 4 years of stern, i sometimes think i didn't get a real college degree - and that's coming from someone who hates liberal arts courses (i mean, i took friggin human reproduction as my science requirement, LOL!). luckily i had minimal exposure to liberal arts courses during my first 2 years but still, there's only so many marketing and management classes you can take. and schools like babson have even less liberal arts and more business courses than stern. coming out of college, you're a first year analyst scrub. your "management" lessons won't come into play at least 5 - 10 years down the road.

end of day, find any school that has a solid campus recruiting program and strong alumni network. i know if i were recruiting, i'd prefer someone with a more balanced background than someone who spent all 4 years taking b-courses at schools like baruch or babson. and as strong as baruch maybe in accounting, its still a cuny. it might boast a high placement record, but it definitely won't be at the premier companies you're probaby looking to get into. if money's the issue, look at a state school. we found alot of good guys at both suny bing/buff...

oh yea, when i do interview candidates, i just look for someone with a good personality. if you're going to spend 10+ hrs with this person each day, you want to make sure they're not an annoying prick. with that said, i dont want to stereotype everyone but i noticed some people who go to these specialty b-schools (and even stern for that matter), are SO HARDCORE business that they're boring as f*ck ppl with no personalities. they eat/sleep/breathe the wall street journal but can't talk about the game last night. big university candidates are usually better about this. they took a few courses here and there on various topics and did real activities like sports or clubs besides the finance or young entrepreneuer club, and "business fraternties" (yes there's such a thing).

not trying to confuse you. stern was great for me, but just saying don't limit your search to just b-schools only.
      10-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #38
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
If you are interested in entrepreneurship as your major, then you should consider Babson. Otherwise, their other business programs are only so-so. I'll take BU over Babson for business. You might need to boost up your grade a little more though if you want to go to BU. Otherwise, settle for a small college and then transfer after 2 years.
      10-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #39
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
the undergraduate business program is hard to get in. It is almost all Asians.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #40
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Become a california resident so you can transfer to ucla or uc b. It is very cheap if you are in state
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #41
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
+1 I know somebody that goes there too... total weirdo, I swear everybody that goes to that school falls under the categories of lesbian, hippy, feminist, etc... and the ones that join the peace corp
what a coincidence, I'm a lesbian too!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #42
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

wow, I was considering applying to NYU. I am not a lesbian, hippie, or asian. Guess I won't get in.

Joking, and I think anybody can use a school (undergrad anyway) depending on what they get out of it. I am applying to Columbia, NYU, Rutgers and Fordham. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #43
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

Quote:
NYU is pretty damn close to Ivy League. Its undergraduate business school is ranked above Cornell's. I think it's ranked 4th or 5th overall.
Im currently a freshman in UC Berkeley as an intended Business major.
MY HIGH SCHOOL STATS:
My GPA was 4.2(weighted) 3.86 (unweighted)
My highest SAT score was 1980
My highest ACT score was 30
I applied to Cornell, NYU, Brown, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UPenn.
I only got into Cornell and BErkeley out of those schools so my guess is you should try to apply to them but your chances are really slim (to put it lightly).
      10-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #44
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
wow, I was considering applying to NYU. I am not a lesbian, hippie, or asian. Guess I won't get in.

Joking, and I think anybody can use a school (undergrad anyway) depending on what they get out of it. I am applying to Columbia, NYU, Rutgers and Fordham. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I was talking about Barnard
Appreciate 0