New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #353
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

So I saw someone list on here an iPhone X for about $200 markup, not the mythical 2k price tag being floated around which means not a ton of profit especially if shipping to the buyer. Estimated shipping is now 3-4 weeks which means realistically 1-2 weeks and the previous 5-6 week estimates were just put out there to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #354
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Whys that?
instead of launching the phone in Sept they waited till November giving them a month to make more phones.
True I agree. Would have gave more time to sell the 8's. Also holidays are coming so X would have been wetter for that
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #355
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Got very lucky... cancelled my online order and reserved at local miami store... picked up 2 hrs later.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #356
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Got very lucky... cancelled my online order and reserved at local miami store... picked up 2 hrs later.
So does that mean I cAn go buy one in Atlanta? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #357
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Drives: ///M

An Apple retail store?

When was that?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #358
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
An Apple retail store?

When was that?
Quote:
yeah, ucan now reserve online... typed in my zip, went and picked it up... line out front was like a mile lol
      11-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #359
ASAP
Major General
Rep

check it
Attached Images

11-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #360
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Drives: f10 m5

I ordered mine online last week on launch and got everyone one in my family one and everything was delivered to my house yesterday.

why go to line or wait or do any of this bs?

i really dont get people
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #361
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla Highland 3P

Sadly 12/1 is my backorder date. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #362
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

I haven't tried Face ID with the setting where you don't have to look directly at it, it may unlock at an angle with that setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #363
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The bigger phone has a 16:9 aspect ratio so better for watching movies/videos on the larger screen. The X has a larger diagonal measurement but is smaller in area than the 8+
My 55" TV is 16x9 too, so I want movies on that rather than my phone.

Really - is this actually a concern for people? I travel. I'm a Kiwi living in Texas. Never ever at all in my life have I watched a movie or any video of significance on my phone, other than comedic youtube clips friends texted to me. I have never been in a situation where I thought "I want to watch a movie" and haven't had a better option provided by someone else (hotel, airline, home TV...)
Appreciate 1
UncleWede18324.00
      11-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #364
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
What's the native resolution for the X? Full disclosure, I have the S8 so Android user here. Just looking to see if Apple thought through this new stretched video format better than Samsung. The annoying issues I'm dealing with are when I do a screen mirror, I constantly have to manually set the resolution to 16:9. I use an automation app which launches the screen mirroring when my phone connects to my car's blue tooth. However, I can't automate the screen resolution setting.

Also, Plex is another issue I have where they haven't updated their app to deal with the new screen resolution format. So right now when I watch videos on my phone, the video doesn't fill the screen vertically. I don't mind having left and right black bars. But I'm getting top and bottom black bars too.
2436 x 1125. Higher res than the 8+ (and every + before it) despite the smaller physical size.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5470.50
      11-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #365
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Thought I'd update y'all.
I played with a demo X in store to be sure about my decision and I hated it.

The notch will divide opinions and I cannot stand the notch.

Face ID was not practical. It works really well but I still prefer unlocking my phone at awkward angles. I think some people will get over the lack of a home button quick. As said I use apple pay a lot and it is impractical to look at my phone every time.

Then it dawned on me that the X is a first generation product so anything that can go wrong with it might because of the all new design.

There I was comparing all these phones and for the first time I picked up a plus phone. Never thought I would turn to a phablet but I did.

The screen size impressed me. I looked at the X and thought gosh that screen is small and is smaller than the 8 screen. It also nets a few hours extra battery life! I am a heavy media user so it would be nice to end my day with 30 per cent remaining after heavy use. Dual camera. The display quality is not too far off from the X. I have big hands and for once they are not making it difficult to type.

So welcome home 8 plus. Never thought I would go plus but I did and no regrets.
No - the X screen is not smaller than the 8 screen. You are deluded. The 8 has a 4.7" screen. Your 8+ has a 5.5" screen. The X has a 5.8 inch screen, although at a different aspect ratio. And at the same time - it has a higher resolution than your 8+. So while you've successfully purchased the ideal "old man" phone with nice big pixels, you have indeed purchased a phone with lower resolution than the X, even if you remove the "safe zones" top and bottom.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10576.50
      11-05-2017, 01:54 AM   #366
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Thought I'd update y'all.
I played with a demo X in store to be sure about my decision and I hated it.

The notch will divide opinions and I cannot stand the notch.

Face ID was not practical. It works really well but I still prefer unlocking my phone at awkward angles. I think some people will get over the lack of a home button quick. As said I use apple pay a lot and it is impractical to look at my phone every time.

Then it dawned on me that the X is a first generation product so anything that can go wrong with it might because of the all new design.

There I was comparing all these phones and for the first time I picked up a plus phone. Never thought I would turn to a phablet but I did.

The screen size impressed me. I looked at the X and thought gosh that screen is small and is smaller than the 8 screen but the longitudinal proponents of the X mean it has more screen - so it is deceptive in hand. It also nets a few hours extra battery life! I am a heavy media user so it would be nice to end my day with 30 per cent remaining after heavy use. Dual camera. The display quality is not too far off from the X. I have big hands and for once they are not making it difficult to type.

So welcome home 8 plus. Never thought I would go plus ever as always thought they were too big but I did and no regrets.
Felt the same way about the IPX. That notch will be gone on the next iteration. At first I was like, this is a pretty nice phone. after a bit I was like meh.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:22 AM   #367
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Been using it for 2 days now and absolutely love it. I had a 6S before, I did get the 7 for a few days but didn’t find much of a difference between that and the 6S. The X on the other hand is the first properly new iPhone since the 6. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is incredible as well. The phone looks and feels the part as well. I will be keeping this phone for at least 2 years. Face-ID feature works great as well, and having a full screen makes going back to my 6S feel old.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10576.50
DSB335d1316.50
      11-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #368
DSB335d
Captain
Rep

Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
Been using it for 2 days now and absolutely love it. I had a 6S before, I did get the 7 for a few days but didn’t find much of a difference between that and the 6S. The X on the other hand is the first properly new iPhone since the 6. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is incredible as well. The phone looks and feels the part as well. I will be keeping this phone for at least 2 years. Face-ID feature works great as well, and having a full screen makes going back to my 6S feel old.
My wife is very happy with hers as well. She's going from a 6 plus. We also bought an 8 plus that's she's been using for the past month or so which we are giving to her mom as she is still using a 5c:
Appreciate 1
GeorgeA762.50
      11-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #369
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post

Really - is this actually a concern for people? I travel. I'm a Kiwi living in Texas. Never ever at all in my life have I watched a movie or any video of significance on my phone, other than comedic youtube clips friends texted to me. I have never been in a situation where I thought "I want to watch a movie" and haven't had a better option provided by someone else (hotel, airline, home TV...)
In my situation, I have found I do use my phone a lot for video media. In addition to using Plex, I use my phone for Waze, Slingbox, and my home security camera system (Hikvision).

The Plex app I didn't put an emphasis on for quite some time. But recently paid the $4.99 to have unrestricted media access to the movies I have on my server. Where this comes in handy is with my daughter. Rather than storing all the videos she wants to watch on my phone, I just stream it from the server. Because I now have this capability, I find myself launching movies I have on my server to watch them because well I can now on my phone.

Waze is self explanatory.

Slingbox gives me remote access to all of my DirecTV programming both live and stored on the DVRs.

I'm using the Hikvision app to stream live and stored video footage of the cameras I have on my home.

Where the annoyance comes in is what I've mentioned with the weird stretching that is caused by the new video resolution. I have a BimmerTech SmartView module installed in my car where I mirror the video/audio from my phone to the nav screen. I use Waze this way. With Plex, I stream my daughter's movie on the nav screen to keep her placated. If I don't manually change the resolution to 16:9, the video is stretched with black bars on the top and bottom.

Was wondering if Apple handles this video ratio issue better than Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #370
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.88]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.90]
2019 i3 BEV  [5.00]
Quote:
No - the X screen is not smaller than the 8 screen. You are deluded. The 8 has a 4.7" screen. Your 8+ has a 5.5" screen. The X has a 5.8 inch screen, although at a different aspect ratio. And at the same time - it has a higher resolution than your 8+. So while you've successfully purchased the ideal "old man" phone with nice big pixels, you have indeed purchased a phone with lower resolution than the X, even if you remove the "safe zones" top and bottom.
Aren't the iphone 6 Plus and 8 Plus the same 5.5 size? If so than I can confirm that the X screen is technically "smaller" in terms of watching full screen 16:9 videos. The X is skinnier, meaning the same aspect videos will have to scale down to fit without cropping. Technically though, the iPhone X has more total screen area... just a different aspect ratio. That's just one compromises I see in my iphone X vs my old plus.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #371
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.88]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.90]
2019 i3 BEV  [5.00]
Quote:

Yes. I use my iphone for watching videos more often than music actually. Different people have different needs.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #372
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Aren't the iphone 6 Plus and 8 Plus the same 5.5 size? If so than I can confirm that the X screen is technically "smaller" in terms of watching full screen 16:9 videos. The X is skinnier, meaning the same aspect videos will have to scale down to fit without cropping. Technically though, the iPhone X has more total screen area... just a different aspect ratio. That's just one compromises I see in my iphone X vs my old plus.
Yeah - all of the 6/7/8 models share the same screen sizes. The X screen is technically .3" larger on the diagonal however that does not mean it's bigger in either dimension, but as mentioned with the aspect ratio it's also not 16x9, and the physical height when watching a video in landscape mode is indeed smaller, but higher resolution.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #373
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Yes. I use my iphone for watching videos more often than music actually. Different people have different needs.
Yeah - that's why I asked whether it was a big thing for people. I might be an outlier in that I rarely take pictures, do not use my phone for music or video, rarely use it for navigation (prefer the one in my HUD). I'd probably be happy with the old Motorola Razr V3 I have in a box somewhere, except I love having access to my email while on the move.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #374
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

One feature I've noticed that I love is that everything just comes up like this on the lock screen:

iMessage
New Message

Messenger
Notification

But when I raise the screen to where Face ID kicks in, the "New Message" and "Notification" get replaced with the actual text like they used to show - but of course nobody else can pick it up and see the actual messages. I like that.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10576.50