New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Today, 10:34 AM   #331
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

For all the people thinking Shell gasoline makes their car run better on one tank, they get better mpg on a tank, or whatever, I can't even see a way for this to be possible. Base gasoline is the same as Walmart, Shell might have more detergents in it but past that I think it is in your head.

Different or more detergents won't suddenly raise performance and/or mpg and even if it did it wouldn't suddenly drop when you went back to some other gas.
      Today, 11:05 AM   #332
ZL9M2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

BMW will change it's recomendation as soon as the next fuel company writes them a bigger check. Just like their oil and oil change recomendations. I wouldn't get too caught up in it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:35 PM   #333
SnowCover
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
For all the people thinking Shell gasoline makes their car run better on one tank, they get better mpg on a tank, or whatever, I can't even see a way for this to be possible. Base gasoline is the same as Walmart, Shell might have more detergents in it but past that I think it is in your head.

Different or more detergents won't suddenly raise performance and/or mpg and even if it did it wouldn't suddenly drop when you went back to some other gas.
I sometimes get premium gas at the local Sam's Club because it's the cheapest.($3.149 last week) For some weird reason, there are always a lot of Mercedes and Audi waiting in line. I figured that if it was good enough for them, it was probably good enough for my BMWs?

Back when BP was still Top Tier, my local BP station was forcibly closed for over a month by the state's department of weights and measures(or something like that) due to bad pumps and contaminated underground gas storage tank. Needless to say, I never went back again.
Appreciate 0