New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-08-2024, 02:59 AM   #309
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
maybe you didn't get the point, every F1 driver wants to drive for Ferrari

Nico explains here https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=489368196802000
Haven't won a drivers title since 2007 and unlikely this year so for what, the money I guess.
Appreciate 2
a5m791.50
      07-08-2024, 03:13 AM   #310
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
LAP 28 : MAX just lapped Checo !
No words but life goes on for Serge, hopefully he puts the puzzle together on the vintage Hungaroring, lets note the ROaR of a certain Lion in the name heheh
Appreciate 2
dfox1080.50
      07-08-2024, 04:46 AM   #311
fs1977
Private
Rep

Drives: G21 M340i

Garage List
2020 G21 M340i  [10.00]
I feel sorry for Piastri. Looked like the fastest man on track. McLaren ruined his race with the tactics. Norris didn't do any better going on softs for the last stint.

Anyway, nice win for Lewis, Max maximizing his current situation with the perfect tactics and a bit of luck that Russel had a DNF and McLaren dropped the ball.
Appreciate 2
a5m791.50
dfox1080.50
      07-08-2024, 04:53 AM   #312
PAS
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 30d M-Sport Arctic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Race pace showed the MB and Mcl were faster (Pete Windsor analysis IIRC). THERACE also confirmed race pace from the GP showed RB was 3rd fastest. RB even said they were expecting 5th/6th at best but Max outdoes the odds again in a much slower car finishing only 1.4 sec behind 1st. Simply put, no one could nearly win that race with the 3rd fastest car except for Max. It was a masterclass in both the wet and dry (the pace in both conditions was textbook epitome of GP driving).

Honestly Ferrari as well as MB is kind of getting what they deserve for all the cheating they've done over the years that simply got swept under the rug every time.
Norris and Piastri both overtook Max on the same tyre as the rain was getting heavier, Sainz closed up a 5 or 6 sec gap to around 1 or 2. Max made a great call to pit for inters at the right time, this brought him back up into top 3. Brand new hard or medium tyres as opposed to used softs are going to perform much better over 12 laps or so with minimal fuel, just look at what Piastri did on mediums after his last pit stop.
Appreciate 2
SonnyJack327.00
AmuroRay2851.50
      07-08-2024, 05:56 AM   #313
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X3

Great race, lots to learn for McLaren they certainly need someone who can help with this key decisions and knowing sometimes when to leave them with the drive and when to take them away.

Could have easily been a 1-2 for McLaren in different circumstances and decisions and they will know that and be better next time, takes a while to get to that place though.

Looking good for the rest of the season to get a bit more competition across the top teams which is great for the racing and the sport. Real shame they now want to change the regs again when we are getting to this place, can't help but think it's better to keep things the same for longer....

As for Perez, end the misery and put Liam lawson in that seat and role the dice, can't be any worse, pointless putting other RB drivers in there IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 06:51 AM   #314
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Dump Checo and get Carlos as Max's teammate!
NickyC18950.50
a5m791.50
      07-08-2024, 07:06 AM   #315
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS View Post
Norris and Piastri both overtook Max on the same tyre as the rain was getting heavier, Sainz closed up a 5 or 6 sec gap to around 1 or 2. Max made a great call to pit for inters at the right time, this brought him back up into top 3. Brand new hard or medium tyres as opposed to used softs are going to perform much better over 12 laps or so with minimal fuel, just look at what Piastri did on mediums after his last pit stop.
Max said they ate through the intermediates, but Max was strong on them after the initial graining and started to close the gap at the end of the wet stint considerably. This in part, as well as a stronger bit stop from RB than MB or Mcl that allowed him to make up some ground as they went t the final stint where we know what he did there.
I'm not sure I agree that Hards would have been a logical call for better pace. The weather was quite cold, and those hard tires even in warmer temps are a bit tough to fire up - plus the RB usually doesnt get tires to temp quickly. The Medium was the tire to have but RB had none so they went with the slowest option as it was the only one that made sense for them. Medium was the better option, but Pia was too far back after Mcl screwed his race like they always do in favor of their boy wonderless.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2024, 07:21 AM   #316
six_timer
last of the greats
Rep

Drives: 328i convertible

HAM is certainly one of the greatest drivers, and the win at Silverstone was awesome, but then he says this about his first win in 2 1/2 years:

"It’s been since 2021, every day getting up, trying to fight, to train, to put my mind to the task and work as hard as I can. It’s so tough, I think for anyone. I think the important thing is just how you continue to get up, and you’ve got to continue to dig deep even when you feel like you’re at the bottom of the barrel. There’s definitely been days between 2021 and here where I didn’t feel like I was good enough, or whether I was going to get back to where I am today."

I mean, c'mon, he's the winningest driver in F1. He can't handle 2.5 years without a win? What about Alonso? Eleven years without a win, and he's not whining. What about all the great drivers who never won a championship?
Appreciate 1
a5m791.50
      07-08-2024, 07:35 AM   #317
M5Rick
General
Rep

The anti-RBR MAX theme continues even from the F1 site with journo putting MAX finishing 3rd, bunch of p*iks.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...I3QGCumqZJRqeQ
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2024, 07:37 AM   #318
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
Dump Checo and get Carlos as Max's teammate!
They don't need Carlos - he would struggle with the RB20 like Per does since their driving style is quite similar. They should let Tsu take it for the rest of the season or give Law the drive.

There are probably at least 8 drivers IMO in F1 who don't or shouldn't be there anymore.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66411.50
dfox1080.50
      07-08-2024, 07:39 AM   #319
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_timer View Post
HAM is certainly one of the greatest drivers, and the win at Silverstone was awesome, but then he says this about his first win in 2 1/2 years:

"It’s been since 2021, every day getting up, trying to fight, to train, to put my mind to the task and work as hard as I can. It’s so tough, I think for anyone. I think the important thing is just how you continue to get up, and you’ve got to continue to dig deep even when you feel like you’re at the bottom of the barrel. There’s definitely been days between 2021 and here where I didn’t feel like I was good enough, or whether I was going to get back to where I am today."

I mean, c'mon, he's the winningest driver in F1. He can't handle 2.5 years without a win? What about Alonso? Eleven years without a win, and he's not whining. What about all the great drivers who never won a championship?
The struggle has been real when you need actual skill to win a race - despite his car since 2022 still being one of the fastest in F1 and many times Toto claiming they had the fastest car on the grid (and certainly the fastest several of the last few recent races).
As they say, sometimes (in Ham's case) it's better to be lucky than good.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 07-08-2024 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 3
a5m791.50
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 07:52 AM   #320
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_timer View Post

2021 was a lot - he basically lost 21 by a last minute official decision and his team didn't even back him, had a terrible car they didn't listen to him when they were developing, and finally they have forced him out of the door (which is why he's going to Ferrari)

I don't blame him for feeling down
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 08:04 AM   #321
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
The anti-RBR MAX theme continues even from the F1 site with journo putting MAX finishing 3rd, bunch of p*iks.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...I3QGCumqZJRqeQ
Finishing 1.4 seconds behind 1st and nearly nipping 1st in the 3rd or 4th fastest car is testament enough. They can keep hating, but that's only jealousy driving their comments. They know Max is better than all the rest prior and current so it's tough for them to swallow. Their commentary is vitriolic to say the least. It's always funny to hear how different commentary is when it's Max vs anyone else but I think most of the world sees through it and actually ruin the credibility of the commentators as well as the drivers they comment on.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 08:42 AM   #322
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This video grilling Perez for 9+ minutes was posted before the qualies featuring Perez beaching his RB20 at Copse Corner in Q1.

As said before: (sponsorship) money talks. Liam Lawson would be a better choice, but can't offer Perez sponsorship money. And so Perez can keep his seat.

"Checo Perez is finished!":
https://www.youtube.com/live/4_08pVb6if8
Quote:
Horner had a meeting with Checo after the Spainish GP ..

The Belgian GP (Spa-Francorchamps - July 28 -)

1- If MAX has 100 drivers points more than Checo in the WDC standings after the Belgian GP
2- If Checo's position is lower than P6 in WDC drivers standings after the Belgian GP

Then the special (!) RB-clause will be used in Checo's Red Bull-contract to fire him...
At this moment the situation in the WDC standings looks very bad for Checo with Piastri and Russell right behind him...

That's why Horner said in Spain : "Contracts are there to be broken"
Artemis

Just to confirm what I said my friend :

The latest 'Dutch article from today regarding Checo's Red Bull situation => https://gp33.nl/f1-nieuws/sergio-per...hem-nog-redden
For the others : Please translate the Article/Page in English .

This post and link is proof , that I wasn't talking nonsense (!)

IMHO. It's Checo's last 2 races at the Red Bull Team ( too bad)!
In other words : After the Hungarian GP and the Belgian GP . And then Checo will be gone ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 08:53 AM   #323
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
No words but life goes on for Serge, hopefully he puts the puzzle together on the vintage Hungaroring, lets note the ROaR of a certain Lion in the name heheh
I'm pretty sure It's already too late for Checo (please see my post # 322)

As I said my friend ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 09:28 AM   #324
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Ferrari wasn't cheating, their strawberry engine passes all the regulations. For once Ferrari out engineered everyone else. If your not cheating you're not trying

How did MB cheat lately? They have sucked until now
"2019"

Ferrari's strawberry fuel (let's say a fuel upgrade) was unreal (!)
Charlie and SEB won races with the Ferrari strawberry fuel...

HamilNot filed a complaint for Ferrari at the FIA . Because the Ferrari pace was bullet fast .

The FIA started an investigation and they discovered (let us say) the strawberry in the Ferrari fuel.

The Ferrari strawberry was banned by the FIA , because the fuel was not according to the FIA regulations (!)
Jos Verstappen said : I really like the strawberry smell in the Ferrari box and even in the pitlane (no joke)!

IMHO .It was cheating . The Ferrari WDC drivers points and Ferrari wins were basically stolen by the use of the cheating Ferrari strawberry fuel.
The proof was visible in the following races . Ferrari was suddenly very slow ..
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 09:36 AM   #325
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
"2019"

Ferrari's strawberry fuel (let's say a fuel upgrade) was unreal (!)
Charlie and SEB won races with the Ferrari strawberry fuel...

HamilNot filed a complaint for Ferrari at the FIA . Because the Ferrari pace was bullet fast .

The FIA started an investigation and they discovered (let us say) the strawberry in the Ferrari fuel.

The Ferrari strawberry was banned by the FIA , because the fuel was not according to the FIA regulations (!)
Jos Verstappen said : I really like the strawberry smell in the Ferrari box and even in the pitlane (no joke)!

IMHO .It was cheating . The Ferrari WDC drivers points and Ferrari wins were basically stolen by the use of the cheating Ferrari strawberry fuel.
The proof was visible in the following races . Ferrari was suddenly very slow ..
The FIA even said the engine did not run within regulations at all times - meaning the times it wasnt, it was illegal. They also would not have needed to 'settle' if something wasnt going on.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #326
PAS
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 30d M-Sport Arctic Grey

Quote:
Max said they ate through the intermediates, but Max was strong on them after the initial graining and started to close the gap at the end of the wet stint considerably. This in part, as well as a stronger bit stop from RB than MB or Mcl that allowed him to make up some ground as they went t the final stint where we know what he did there.
I'm not sure I agree that Hards would have been a logical call for better pace. The weather was quite cold, and those hard tires even in warmer temps are a bit tough to fire up - plus the RB usually doesnt get tires to temp quickly. The Medium was the tire to have but RB had none so they went with the slowest option as it was the only one that made sense for them. Medium was the better option, but Pia was too far back after Mcl screwed his race like they always do in favor of their boy wonderless.
My point is that prior to pitting for inters (undercutting Russell and making up ground on Ham & Norris) Max wasn't making an impact on the race at all, Ham also reported eating through inters around the same time as Max.

Ultimately Max was only able to show pace after the second pit stop when there was a tyre delta. I don't think this takes anything away from him as he is the most consistent/best driver at the moment, but on average race pace (through mixed track conditions) Ham was fastest
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2851.50
      07-08-2024, 09:45 AM   #327
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Didnt Ham crash a few Ferraris already? Or was that a Pagani? Or both? I cant keep track since he seems to crash as much off track as he does on...LOL
LEW crashed everything

Appreciate 1
M5Rick66411.50
      07-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #328
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
2021 was a lot - he basically lost 21 by a last minute official decision
...if he just hadn't forgotten to switch off that brake magic switch in Baku...
none of it would've mattered. Same goes for not coming in for slicks in Hungary.
21 was lost by personal and team errors half season that easily could've been avoided.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #329
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The point I was trying to make is the Ferrari engine was legal at the beginning of the season. They had to change the regulations and add extra sensors mid-season to make it illegal. They may have not even been caught if the engine didn’t smell like strawberries. 🍓

My stance has always been against changing regulations mid-season. IMHO it discourages innovation and punishes those smart enough to push the limits.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2024, 10:32 AM   #330
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
...if he just hadn't forgotten to switch off that brake magic switch in Baku...
none of it would've mattered. Same goes for not coming in for slicks in Hungary.
21 was lost by personal and team errors half season that easily could've been avoided.
Agreed. Ham cracked under pressure all season long because he has never actually had to race wheel to wheel before 2021 much and never went against anyone with natural skill & ability and pace as Max (despite being in a slower car). When your car is 2 seconds a lap faster in race pace, anyone who knows how to drive a car could have won in that MB.
Even with the cheating help of Bot smashing into Max in Hungary to take him out after on radio messages from Toto, Max still had a better overall season.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66411.50