New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i e92

Very cool! I love watching projects like this and am a big fan of modular pre-fab. Check this out: http://www.kama-eebs.com/
      01-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #24
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
Very cool! I love watching projects like this and am a big fan of modular pre-fab. Check this out: http://www.kama-eebs.com/
Is that your site?
      01-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #25
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

The home arrived today at 2am this morning. Stay tuned for tomorrow's install.

Hooking up electric meter with new underground service

Click Here for a More Detailed Blog

Last edited by J08M3; 02-02-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #26
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's a bunch of pics from yesterdays set! Enjoy!

Last edited by J08M3; 02-02-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
iBoost3d
Private
Rep

Drives: 335iA

I'm very interested in more info about this. I just so happen to stumble on this thread but it's exactly what my wife and I are looking into. We already knew about Superior Walls and planned on using them. We want to put up a house in Watchung NJ and are looking for something around 3500 sq + but not something that is boxy looking like most modulars. Let me know if you can help me or point me in the right direction.
thanks!
      01-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #28
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
That is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Drives: A few

this is interesting, how much does everything cost? i want to smash my house to the ground and build up smething like this if it's cheap

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #30
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Drives: very fast

Cool idea, but the house is a bit boring. In a couple of years I'd ilke to find a piece of land around here and put up one for these: http://www.livinghomes.net/homesCommunities.html
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #31
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost3d View Post
I'm very interested in more info about this. I just so happen to stumble on this thread but it's exactly what my wife and I are looking into. We already knew about Superior Walls and planned on using them. We want to put up a house in Watchung NJ and are looking for something around 3500 sq + but not something that is boxy looking like most modulars. Let me know if you can help me or point me in the right direction.
thanks!
This home was provided by New World Home They have about 8 different models available.

Another great resource would be Jetson Green which is a pretty cool green building blog and they cover tons of stories, many of which are different modular companies.

Also you can click the link in my signature and it will bring you to a green building forum I have started. It's a new forum, but constantly adding new info that may be helpful to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
That is amazing.
yep, pretty crazy how in the morning it was just a foundation and 7 hours later the entire house was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
this is interesting, how much does everything cost? i want to smash my house to the ground and build up smething like this if it's cheap
What's cool about this house is it shows "green" can be affordable. I can tell you this house is coming in cheaper than a similarly spec'd house and construction only takes 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Cool idea, but the house is a bit boring. In a couple of years I'd ilke to find a piece of land around here and put up one for these: http://www.livinghomes.net/homesCommunities.html
Those homes are cool... I'm a big fan of ultra-modern architecture. I love steel, glass, and concrete.

This house is for a client, who hired my company as the local contractors to coordinate all the site work and the finish details. It's a very traditional styled house.
      01-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

you say it is cheap (i believe you due to the time it takes to build such a house). But give us an idea how cheap in term of $ / sqft and does it vary by region (north west, north east, south,...)
      01-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #33
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
you say it is cheap (i believe you due to the time it takes to build such a house). But give us an idea how cheap in term of $ / sqft and does it vary by region (north west, north east, south,...)
I'm not at liberty to disclose prices in public as this house belongs to a client. But I can tell you it cost less than it would if we "stick built" this house to the same specs. (not counting time)

Yes, price of construction varies greatly by region.
      01-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #34
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lola

Garage List
How durable are these houses? I visited my parents over the xmas holidays and absolutely love Dallas and more than likely want to retire there, but practically all the houses there are brick. I'm guessing thats to protect from tornados.
      01-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #35
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
How durable are these houses? I visited my parents over the xmas holidays and absolutely love Dallas and more than likely want to retire there, but practically all the houses there are brick. I'm guessing thats to protect from tornados.
Durability is one of the key features of this home. If you're familiar with the LEED rating system (which we are going to be certified under) you will see durability is a big component to building a green home.
      01-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #36
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

http://www.facebook.com/dubrow.enter...app_7146470109

Some video of the house being set...
      02-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #37
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Safetyduct - highly insulated formaldehyde free flexible duct work. Just one of the new products we use to control indoor air quality while improving the efficiency of the HVAC system.

02-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #38
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

IceStone vanity top with low-flow fixtures:
      02-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #39
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nice manifold system being used to efficiently distribute hot and cold water throughout the house. Using individual "home runs" for each fixture helps reduce potable water demand.

Picture of the HVAC duct work in the basement. As you can see we take special care to cover open ends of unfinished work during construction to minimize any dust or debris from getting into the duct work of the house. A very important step in controlling the Indoor Air Quality of the home

Special covers we install during construction over openings for HVAC system duct work. The special covers allow us to heat the home during construction and protect the duct work from getting filled with dust and debris. Another very important step to controlling the Indoor Air Quality of the home.

02-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It seems we are rapidly approaching the balance point where much of the green technology becomes cheaper than the price of wasting resources. It seems it's never really been an issue with technology, just its price.

I really want a tankless heater, but the gas main is on the neighbor's parcel, and I doubt SoCalGas wants to move my service so I can get enough gas to the unit. The ducting requirements are pretty wild as well for that level of a fire. Any info on how that might affect your homeowner's insurance rates?

We're close on the solar issue, the length of my home has southern exposre, but the price point isn't QUITE there yet for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #41
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

Cool build thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
looks brown
I lol'd.
When I build a house, it will be custom with secret rooms and a firepole and shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #42
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Answers in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It seems we are rapidly approaching the balance point where much of the green technology becomes cheaper than the price of wasting resources. It seems it's never really been an issue with technology, just its price.

Everyday Green technology is becoming cheaper. A lot of the technology exists but there was never much demand so the price was fairly high. Also important to note that not all green building is more expensive. Green building can fit any budget, as this house is proving. What it takes is knowledge. Many people who have been building for years lack the knowledge of how some simple inexpensive changes can provide a more efficient healthier home. As people become more knowledgeable green becomes more common

I really want a tankless heater, but the gas main is on the neighbor's parcel, and I doubt SoCalGas wants to move my service so I can get enough gas to the unit. The ducting requirements are pretty wild as well for that level of a fire. Any info on how that might affect your homeowner's insurance rates?

Tankless hot water heaters are great. I'm not sure how the utilities hand gas connections in CA, but here on Long Island, NY the gas mains are in the street. I'm not sure what you're referring to on wild ducting requirements, they are pretty simple as far as I know. I'll post pics of ours once it's complete (hopefully by the weekend). I can't imagine it doing anything for insurance since most homes have gas in them anyway i.e. kitchen stove, dryer, fireplaces etc... I've never heard of homeowners insurance changing dependent upon gas hot water heater.

We're close on the solar issue, the length of my home has southern exposre, but the price point isn't QUITE there yet for me.

Solar is great. We recently finished a 6kw system featured here daily updates that last month alone reduced the electric bill by 25%. Last month we had bad weather and many days the panels were covered in snow. We expect a much better reduction over the course of a year. Local incentives were also very good here at the time of install. Federal gov. offers 30% uncapped tax credit, and at time of this install LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) was picking up 50% of the total cost. Since the new year they have dropped to 20%. But the tax credit is still there. State and local gov's are usually offering something as well. Also important to consider is the market value of your house goes up as well with green technologies. As consumers become more and more aware of green building they are seeking houses that offer energy efficiency and other green elements.
      02-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #43
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

When I did my investigation on the heat ducting, I had to go from the existing (1.75"?) to something like 4" to be able to dissipate the heat. On an existing home, that means cutting the roof, . . . I just never like cutting a roof. Yes, there are some externally mounted ones available as well, and I would only have to cut into the eaves.

I live in 50+ year old unincorporated county neighborhood, so things are a bit "different" on some of the utilities. The lot I now own was sudivided, and the original property has the gas mains. The line runs under the block fence, under the driveway, and then finally enters my house under the raised foundation. When we replaced the front room flooring, we found a corroded pipe sticking out of the ground. Later discovered it was the main gas line, and had to replace it back a ways into the dirt. THAT pipe was scary . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #44
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

The pipe is shown here: http://users.iswest.com/uncle/WoodFl...dationside.JPG
Appreciate 0