New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

10-22-2024, 12:16 PM   #1
areddy
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW M3

PPF for carbon fiber roof G80

Hi all - getting full front PPF, but wondering if it’s worth getting the CF roof PPF’d as well for $500?

Car is garaged and will barely do 8k miles a year

Last edited by areddy; 10-22-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2024, 08:27 PM   #2
sean2648
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 335i

Definitely worth it to PPF it.

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:59 AM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5M, M3 ZCP 6MT, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [9.83]
2017 BMW/M3  [9.90]
I had my F80 M3 roof covered in PPF. Most definitely worth it in my opinion.
Attached Images

Today, 07:16 AM   #4
IanH
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '25 M240xi

Garage List
Buying my brother's RS4 we flew to VA to pick it up, and on the 3rd hour in the car we took a rock that made a golfball sized dent in the roof from a truck that was many many car lengths in front of us. Sounded like a gunshot went off in the cabin.

On one hand PPF probalby wouldnt stop it, but on the other, a smaller rock wouldve been stopped and its basically impossible to repair the CF roof without a visible repair area.
      Today, 07:32 AM   #5
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [9.83]
2017 BMW/M3  [9.90]
This was a response I received from another poster, when I mentioned that I covered my roof in PPF due to oxidation or yellowing.

Basically, clear coat does not yellow. Gel coat will yellow and deteriorate because it is sensitive to UV rays. Clear coat protects it.
Unlike normal body paint, carbon fiber and gel coat are more likely to peel off than normal body paint due to expansion and contraction problems caused by heat. In the case of a carbon roof, delamination is more likely to occur between the gel coat and the clear coat. Certainly the protection film will protect the clear coat, but the protection film itself will yellow. And when you remove it, the clear coat may peel off.
High quality clear coat is the best choice for UV protection. Protection film is recommended for stepping stones. Afterwards, if you get hit by a skipping stone, please close it with clear coat as soon as possible, even if it is just a touch-up. It may peel off rapidly from there.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
      Today, 07:56 AM   #6
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [9.83]
2017 BMW/M3  [9.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Buying my brother's RS4 we flew to VA to pick it up, and on the 3rd hour in the car we took a rock that made a golfball sized dent in the roof from a truck that was many many car lengths in front of us. Sounded like a gunshot went off in the cabin.

On one hand PPF probalby wouldnt stop it, but on the other, a smaller rock wouldve been stopped and its basically impossible to repair the CF roof without a visible repair area.
Unfortunately, PPF will not save you from golf ball size dents. But can in most cases save you from small rocks skipping off of the roof, and UV damage. In my case they first clean the CF roof, then used a clay bar to remove contaminates, then did a 2-Stage compounding and buffing process to remove oxidation and scratches. Before applying the PPF and ceramic coating it. And I think that it came out beautiful. And most importantly, I have a 10-year warranty on the PPF, and 6-year on the ceramic coating.
      Today, 08:12 AM   #7
IanH
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '25 M240xi

Garage List
My point to illustrate with the RS4 story is that even if you drive it very little you can still get a major impact, and we were being quite careful.
      Today, 10:27 AM   #8
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [9.83]
2017 BMW/M3  [9.90]
I understood that fact, and to my point is protection from oxidation. We all know that CF left in the sun, will start to turn yellow. And that is the gel coat, and not the clear coat. It's better to have some protection than nothing at all. Could PPF have save you with that dent No, but in some cases of small rocks maybe. So is PPF worth the cost, from my point of view yes, it is.