New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Today, 10:16 AM   #9505
Guvna
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
which part is incorrect?
The insurance company does not need to prove you did the work wrong on purpose. In fact, if it is discovered that you did any work yourself, and you are not licensed or insured to do such work, any claim you make will rightly be denied. (I am a lawyer for an insurance company.)
Appreciate 1
mjr242174.50
      Today, 10:55 AM   #9506
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Think that sorts out who can and can't wire up a ''full EV'' home charger, you have to pay a qualified electrician and get a certificate of conformity to show the insurance co. in case the worse happens.

Last edited by M5Rick; Today at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:57 PM   #9507
Guvna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Think that sorts out who can and can't wire up a ''full EV'' home charger, you have to pay a qualified electrician and get a certificate of conformity to show the insurance co. in case the worse happens.
I mean, you *can* and I know people who have, but if an investigator finds your DIY piggyback charger caused a fire, not only are you SoL, but you could be liable for any other damage it causes, like for instance it burns your neighbor’s property or causes damage to city utility lines. Not worth the risk, imo, but I'm not an actuary.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:32 PM   #9508
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvna View Post
I mean, you *can* and I know people who have, but if an investigator finds your DIY piggyback charger caused a fire, not only are you SoL, but you could be liable for any other damage it causes, like for instance it burns your neighbor’s property or causes damage to city utility lines. Not worth the risk, imo, but I'm not an actuary.
Easiest solution is to buy a gas car without this time bomb. What if an EV burns in a garage connected to house with charger not being used then it's another case for investigator, what then.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:38 PM   #9509
lakefront
Captain
Rep

Drives: Whatever's in the garage

If you can afford a brand new EV, should't you be able to afford to pay an electrician to properly wire the charger?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:47 PM   #9510
Guvna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Easiest solution is to buy a gas car without this time bomb. What if an EV burns in a garage connected to house with charger not being used then it's another case for investigator, what then.
Your first sentence is definitely true, but I was talking about diy chargers in houses, not the car. If the car catches fire and burns your house down, you would have to sue the manufacturer by claiming a design defect or the like. (And it may be considered a cost of doing business, like how Ford handled the Pinto design defects).

But if it is obvious that the fire started at the charger and you installed it yourself, you will have an uphill battle convincing your insurance company that you did it properly (and it was not the proximate cause of the fire) despite having no training, skills, or experience in doing so. Knowing most insurance companies, they will dump all liability directly into your lap for any possible reason not to pay out.

Last edited by Guvna; Today at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:48 PM   #9511
medphysdave
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Remember when side curtain airbags were an option and people would leave it unchecked to save money.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:50 PM   #9512
dreamingat30fps
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
If you can afford a brand new EV, should't you be able to afford to pay an electrician to properly wire the charger?
Yes. You can also use a regular outlet depending on how much you drive, that’s what I do and it’s perfectly fine for my use. You can also plug it into a 220v dryer outlet. My laundry room exists to the garage so I can plug it into that pretty easily (never need to in my case). Many homes have the washer and dryer in the garage.

However none of those options are sensational anti EV fear mongering so he’s incapable of mentioning them.
Appreciate 0