New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #45
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Nah, Porsches are common in Tampa too. It all depends on your income bracket. Of you're making 10 million a year, a Porsche isn't a flex. But if your make 60k a year a Camaro is a flex.

I think it's the California crowd that really are into Porsches and stuff. They're desperate to cling to relevance despite the fact that everyone thinks they're losers
Maybe they just like driving the car
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #46
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
lolwut?

I've done tons of PCA events. It's all about what the owner wants to do. By your logic, what would be even "cooler" would be to design the entire car and then do all the manufacturing of it, then start a race team, then do all the maintenance on it, and then...and then...and then.

Why can't people freaking understand that not everyone wants to like what they like? We should be able to discuss those differences here...but the way you put it is like my dad "why can't people do and like the things that I like?".
You suck at reading comprehension.

I've done PCA events too and had fun. My whole point was if I had the kind of money to buy and track a GT3RS, I would rather just do actual racing than have the fastest car at HPDE. You can have as much fun as an HPDE or Time Trial in a MUCHeas expensive car than a GT3RS. You don't get a trophy for finishing first at HPDE, been there and done that.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #47
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Maybe they just like driving the car
I'd hope so. Owning a car you don't like driving sucks. Been there, done that.

I've always liked how Porsches drove. You can't get that rear engine weight transfer out of anything else now. I actually went and looked at a 991.2 C4 over the weekend. If I was a shorter man, I'd probably have bought one. But unfortunately even with a moderately uncomfortable seating position, there just wasn't space for kiddo legs behind me. And the rear seat is the real party trick of the 911, being able to take the kiddos along is a capability I want that the Corvettes just don't fulfill.

Sadly there was only about 4" of room behind me with the seat in my driving position. That would make for a very angry toddler.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #48
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
It's wild how the perception some have about owners of certain cars varies. There will always be people with more money than enthusiasm for cars who will buy flashy cars. That's a pretty tired point and nothing new.

Go to any private day at Laguna or Sonoma and it's >75% GT3s. Most of the cars at or out on Thermal at any given time are GT3s or Cup cars. If you think these cars are just bought to parade around on Sunday, it shows you lack exposure to the circles which prove otherwise.

Besides, no one buys a Porsche to flex. Maybe in Scottsdale or Tampa or wherever they still wear Ed Hardy shirts. But Porsches aren't seen as fancy cars to many. A GT3RS on the street is a bit... gauche.
I haven't really seen the poseur spec out at the track, anyone serious just buys the cup car. But I also see Hurucans Ferraris and other stuff at the private tracks.
      Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #49
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
You suck at reading comprehension.

I've done PCA events too and had fun. My whole point was if I had the kind of money to buy and track a GT3RS, I would rather just do actual racing than have the fastest car at HPDE. You can have as much fun as an HPDE or Time Trial in a MUCHeas expensive car than a GT3RS. You don't get a trophy for finishing first at HPDE, been there and done that.
Great, now we know what you would do. That was helpful.
      Today, 06:36 AM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Most people can’t tell the difference between a base 996 and a 992 GT3RS, all 911’s are the same to 90% of the people out there
That is me. I was saying this exact thing to a Porsche buddy yesterday. It's not that I can't, it's more of I just really have no interest.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:34 AM   #51
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That is me. I was saying this exact thing to a Porsche buddy yesterday. It's not that I can't, it's more of I just really have no interest.
That goes for most cars. If they can get the brand right they're doing pretty well.

I think that the 911 has remained very similar in design is a good thing though, it stays true to form, and doesn't try to break from tradition, and the market rewards it for that consistency.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:47 AM   #52
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Truth is there's a mix of buyers, some are just for show, others like to cruise about on fairweather days and others mildly track or heavily track. I've said before on this forum, if I had the means I still would not go exotic, i'd blow money on a Singer maybe, Alfaholics definitely but big power exotics seem a road to nowhere as they are terrible on the street and a Caterham is more fun on the track.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:04 AM   #53
Guvna
Rep

Drives: M2

The best 911 is the base model.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:53 AM   #54
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep