New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-03-2023, 02:51 PM   #1
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

Anyone take Mounjaro for weight loss?

Apparently it works very well, unfortunately for me, my BMI is not 30 and I don't have diabetes, so the two doctors I went to will not prescribe it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
careyd38
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: '23 BMW X5 xDrive45e

There are shortages because too many doctors are prescribing it to non-diabetic patients. It doesn't sound like you need it...
Appreciate 4
vreihen1619696.00
Esteban52138.00
///MPhatic15038.50
David701725.00
      01-04-2023, 05:55 AM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
What is its mechanism of action?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 06:57 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Drives: BMW-less :(

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
What is its mechanism of action?
I believe that it slows down the digestive tract, like other similar drugs in the class.

My doctor has had me on it for T2 diabetes. Supply is still a problem, and I haven't lost an ounce of weight from it.....
      06-25-2024, 10:53 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My wife was on Trulicity for Type 2, then her Dr. switched her to Mounjaro and she lost 20-25lbs over 6 weeks. The change was made because her A1C wasn't in the range he wanted.
Supply is an issue with both. She doesn't always get the injection she needs on weekly basis due to lack of available product.
Pharmacy should prioritize Type 2 over weight loss/vanity. . .

Me, I'm just the opposite with Type 1 for 45+ years. I have gastroparesis and need a gut stimulant to empty my stomach while the insulin is floating in my blood stream.
David701725.00
      08-27-2024, 09:19 AM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Since the SEO spambot woke this thread up, let me give an update. My doctor raised my Mounjaro dosage for type 2 diabetes from 5.0 to 7.5, and has now bumped it up from 7.5 to 10.0. No appreciable weight loss, but I have noticed that I can only eat half portions of many things before I feel stuffed.

On its prescribed function, I have cut my long-lasting daily insulin injection doses in half, and my A1C dropped from 14+ to 6.4 since January.....
      08-27-2024, 10:11 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Pharmacy should prioritize Type 2 over weight loss/vanity. . .
This.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619696.00
      Today, 10:44 AM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Since the SEO spambot woke this thread up, let me give an update. My doctor raised my Mounjaro dosage for type 2 diabetes from 5.0 to 7.5, and has now bumped it up from 7.5 to 10.0. No appreciable weight loss, but I have noticed that I can only eat half portions of many things before I feel stuffed.
Let me give an update on the fun of 10.0 doses.

I was taking the shot every Saturday night, and noticed that I could only eat a few forkfulls of dinner on Sunday evenings before I felt like barfing. Over the next few weeks, this progressed into actual barfing while eating dinner on Sunday evenings.

For the past three Sunday nights, the barfing was accompanied by projectile diarrhea while sleeping.

I had a regular doctor appointment scheduled for Monday morning. When the doctor saw me walk into the office, they immediately called the local hospital ER and handed me an express check-in form.

Long story short, I just got home from the hospital last night after receiving 10+ bags of IV fluids and all kinds of electrolyte boosters.

The leading cause of death in 1900 was diarrhea, and it goes without saying that I'm done with this class of drugs because I was close to being a 2024 death statistic.

Oh, and the ultimate kicker is that the hospital was doing five finger sticks per day on me and not one of them was over 130! This confirms that my T2 diabetes is 100% caused by the massive diuretic dose that I need to combat heart failure, because I was eating a normal diet and needed zero insulin the entire time with IV fluids and no vitamin pee.....
      Today, 10:53 AM   #9
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Damn, what was the underlying cause? Gastroparesis? I use it off-label to help take the edge off being in caloric deficit. It does cause a bit of constipation, but aside from that works marginally well. There are some days, however, where my body needs more calories (off the charts hunger), and I will eventually end up saying "screw it" and eating a few cups of rice. Seems to happen once a week, midway between my single weekly "bad meals."
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619696.00
      Today, 11:00 AM   #10
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
^thanks for the update. The eggplant rollatini looked not too bad.

Is there a next step on weight management if mounjaro is out of the picture?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:30 AM   #11
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Damn, what was the underlying cause? Gastroparesis?
They keep me on the knife edge of dehydration with large diuretic doses for my heart failure, and something like diarrhea or being out in the sun for too long pushes me over the edge. First trip to the ER in eight years for dehydration. The IV fluids put 9.4 pounds of added water weight on me during my stay, which is over a gallon extra water that I'm carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
^thanks for the update. The eggplant rollatini looked not too bad.

Is there a next step on weight management if mounjaro is out of the picture?
The eggplant rollatini was actually on-par with every restaurant in our area. It was kind of small, and I wish that they would let me have two. The Culinary Institute of America is nearby, and we have their graduates working everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if the hospital didn't have one of their chefs working patient meals, because the lunch/dinners were excellent and not frozen/canned industrial swill.

I was using Mounjaro for diabetes, not weight loss. Other than the involuntary purgings pre-hospital, I didn't lose an ounce of weight from it.

When the hospital's doctor was going over my discharge paperwork, they said that nothing was changing in any of my other medications other than stopping the Mounjaro. No problem, doc!

I joked with my wife that I still have a two month supply sitting in the refrigerator, and should sell it on a street corner to cover my $750 hospital co-pay.....
      Today, 11:46 AM   #12
smrtypants44
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3M

I take zepbound and I've lost about 35lbs in 3 months.
      Today, 11:59 AM   #13
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
They keep me on the knife edge of dehydration with large diuretic doses for my heart failure, and something like diarrhea or being out in the sun for too long pushes me over the edge. First trip to the ER in eight years for dehydration. The IV fluids put 9.4 pounds of added water weight on me during my stay, which is over a gallon extra water that I'm carrying.
Is that evenly distributed, or are you dealing with some peripheral edema now? I often feel like I might be pushing some cardiac issues, and when I experimented with Clenbuterol developed really bad edema in my lower legs and feet. I quickly terminated that experiment.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I read your post, but for some reason didn't "get it" until now. I think I just saw all of the medical stuff and stopped understanding.

There are many GLP-1/GIP agonists being developed. Semaglutide was far worse for me with constipation but had a much greater appetite suppression... the first time I used it anyway. I have to wonder if I developed antibodies to it, because I tried two more runs of it and never got any appetite suppression.. just brutal constipation. Retatrutide is probably not a good idea for you given its implication with arrythmia. Anyway, point is, these drugs are novel and have some great potential for diabetes, fatty liver, etc.; maybe one being developed can help you without causing the issues. But after this, you probably don't want to try in the interest of self-preservation.

Tirzepatide (Mounjaro) doesn't suppress appetite as well as Semaglutide (Ozempic/Wegovy), but it has less sides for me. Think I'll skip Reta myself. I have experimented with many, many compounds/peptides... particularly in the realm of anti-aging.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619696.00
      Today, 01:59 PM   #14
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Is that evenly distributed, or are you dealing with some peripheral edema now?
Evenly distributed, although my watch band was a bit tighter this morning at the usual notch.

I take 17 different prescriptions, many fighting the side effects of the side effects of the diuretics that are keeping me alive. Once I am stable again, I plan to try reducing the diuretic doses and see if I can find a better balance that stops the diabetes and still keeps the water out.

One of the side effects of the diuretics is chronic constipation. My intestines even laughed at a colonoscopy prep kit! I told two different doctors that Mounjaro and family probably wouldn't do anything for my diabetes, because they supposedly work by slowing the digestive tract down and I don't need any more help with that. The Mounjaro diarrhea was actually a blessing at first, because it cleaned out the concrete packing my intestines.....