New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Today, 03:28 PM   #1
fieryoOo
Rep

Drives: BMW M340i

Can I tell if I have a real ceramic coating on my car?

Bought a new BMW 340i and had the dealership apply ceramic coating for $1300 with 7 years of exterior/interior warranty. Went back home and found that there is no mentioning of a ceramic coating in any of the documents. Instead there is only one that talks about the warranties. Called the dealer asking for either a refund or a proof that there is actual ceramic coating on the car and they won't provide either.

Am I screwed at this point? Is there any ways of confirming/disproving that I have an actual coating on there?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:08 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

It's likely a spray on coating. Dealership ceramic add-ons are complete BS.
      Today, 04:23 PM   #3
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

What does the exterior/interior warranty cover?

My guess is that you won't be able to do anything about it. Many years ago I worked at a dealership & we used "paint sealant" on every car that came off the truck, it was a good quality tech wax, they paid me roughly 5% of what they charged the customer, everyone was charged, if the person wouldn't pay they removed the charge.

My guess is you got it but as to the quality of what you got, hard to tell.
Case in point - $17.99 and it's a ceramic coating. - Technically I think this meets the requirements of what you purchased.
Enjoy the new car and don't let it bother you too much. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS...344653e9d&th=1

Name:  Ceramic.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  26.9 KB
      Today, 04:49 PM   #4
fieryoOo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
What does the exterior/interior warranty cover?

My guess is that you won't be able to do anything about it. Many years ago I worked at a dealership & we used "paint sealant" on every car that came off the truck, it was a good quality tech wax, they paid me roughly 5% of what they charged the customer, everyone was charged, if the person wouldn't pay they removed the charge.

My guess is you got it but as to the quality of what you got, hard to tell.
Case in point - $17.99 and it's a ceramic coating. - Technically I think this meets the requirements of what you purchased.
Enjoy the new car and don't let it bother you too much. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS...344653e9d&th=1

Attachment 3572395
Yeah it's probably a spray given that they're not willing to mention the actual product anywhere. Here is what the exterior warranty states:

Exterior Protection
* Environmental Paint Protection
** Warrantied protection of the treated exterior factory painted surfaces against: weather induced fading, weather induced chalking, weather induced loss of gloss, acid
rain, bird waste, tree sap, insect damage (including love bugs), sun’s UV damage, hard water spots, de-icing agents/road salt, ocean spray, brake dust, rail dust, paint
overspray, and fuel stains.
* Headlight Lens Protection
** Warrantied Protection against: the sun’s harmful UV rays causing dulling, yellowing, or fading of the headlight lens(es). Repair Only.
* Alloy Wheel Protection
** Warrantied Protection against: pitting or corrosion from road salt, ocean spray, weather-induced damage, and staining from brake dust that can not be easily removed.
* Black Trim/Molding Protection
** Warrantied Protection against: fading & discoloring of the exterior black trim/molding/cladding caused by the sun’s harmful UV rays. Repair Only
Appreciate 1
David701721.00
      Today, 04:50 PM   #5
fieryoOo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's likely a spray on coating. Dealership ceramic add-ons are complete BS.
I'm considering dispute the credit card charge, but I also don't have any evidence that I didn't get the coating
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:01 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryoOo View Post
I'm considering dispute the credit card charge, but I also don't have any evidence that I didn't get the coating
Tell them that you are going to dispute the charge if they can't show you the process/product that they used. They can't just say, sorry it's invisible you will have to trust us.

On the other hand, you can view this as you paid $1300 for a warranty on your paint (although I would read the fine print very closely...I can't imagine that they will rectify any issue (rail dust as example) for the next 7 years). They will probably say oh you didn't come in annually to have it "recoated" or that you used a car wash lol.
      Today, 05:07 PM   #7
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All they have to do is walk into the detailing area, show you a bottle of the stuff and let the detailer explain how he does it, then you say what?

You tell the credit card company you can't tell if you got what you asked for or not? What's the dispute?
      Today, 05:07 PM   #8
fieryoOo
Rep

Ah, they did actually send me this link: https://www.ecpinc.net/ and called it the 'Diamond Ceramic Protection'. So I'm guessing ECP 'Diamond Ceramic with Graphene' is the product. Not sure what this is. The website looks fishy...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:07 PM   #9
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All they have to do is walk into the detailing area, show you a bottle of the stuff and let the detailer explain how he does it, then you say what?

You tell the credit card company you can't tell if you got what you paid for or not? What's the dispute?

Based on the evidence I'm on the dealership's side on this one, you paid them to do a job, they said they did it, you aren't sure. Pretty late in the game to be researching the ceramic coating.
      Today, 05:14 PM   #10
fieryoOo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

You tell the credit card company you can't tell if you got what you paid for or not? What's the dispute?

Based on the evidence I'm on the dealership's side on this one, you paid them to do a job, they said they did it, you aren't sure. Pretty late in the game to be researching the ceramic coating.
I hope you're right
I didn't plan to research it. Was at a local pro shop tinting the window and they were 'pretty confident' that it wasn't an actual coating, only a wax or spray.
Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:06 PM   #11
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 M340i

Well it's really not bad if your car is not going to be garage kept. You will have hard water, bird droppings, etc. It's just a matter of time. When it does happen the dealership will have a 3rd party go out and try and take care of it. If they are unable to remove any defects they will have no choice but to respray. When my wife purchased her first new car back in 04. She was sold a "sealant" type of deal. Before her warranty was set to expire we called in to have all the defects removed. I knew they were not going to be able to remove them. Wet sanding, polishing did nothing. End of the day we ended up have the car resprayed at shop of our choice.

If you really want to know if they applied any protection simply spray it down with some water. If it beads or sheets then you have some type of protection.
Appreciate 0