New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #1
Juice26
Rep

Drives: Mercedes C63s

Wheel Cleaning Recommendations?

I know there thread on this already but no matter how much i scrub or how much product i use i can never get my 825m clean like new. i even ceramic coated the rims (first day i got the car) as i heard so much about how bad the brake dust is on the car.

What do you guys recommend???

Last edited by Juice26; Yesterday at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #2
him130849
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2025 g82 m4

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2023 bmw x7 m60i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice26 View Post
I know there thread on this already but no matter how much i scrub or how much product i use i can never get my 825m clean like new. i even ceramic coated the rims (first day i got the car) as i heard so much about how bad the brake dust is on the car.

What do you guys recommend???
Change brake pads
Appreciate 1
wrevilo75.50
      Today, 05:11 AM   #3
USMC G2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2025 M4 Competition

Garage List
Greetings,

First - get some brushes or make your own. The more you clean your wheels, the better you will get. I use Griot's Wheel Cleaner with a variety of brushes and hand micro fiber mits. Second, after (what I think) is a thorough cleaning...the next day, I use a ceramic rinseless wash to clean them again. This pretty much returns the wheels to original condition. And finally, yesterday I applied 303 Graphene Nano spray to my wheels for lasting protection - it was easy on and easy off, and leaves a helluva shine.

You'll get better the more you do it...(like everything else in life).

Semper Fi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:44 AM   #4
vrships
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: X3 M40i, M4C G82 LCI

Depending on your wheels. Brake dust on flat surfaces, even baked on, can easily be cleaned off using typical thioglycolicacid based wheel cleaner (the ones that turn purple and smell bad) and scrub with microfiber wash mitt and wheel brushes.

But the dust in tight corners and crevices is hard to fully clean since it accumulates and solidifies in big chunks. The only way is to clean these places frequently before they get worse. I am not sure how practical it is for you. It takes me about ~ 1hr to fully clean the rims, so it is very time consuming and tiring.

I have used Adams' Wheel cleaner, Sonax Beast, Trinova wheel cleaner and honestly I cannot tell which one is noticeably better. They are all good on easy-to-clean places but suck at tight corners. Adams' Wheel & Tire cleaner is another product that's not based on TGA, but some review says it actually cleans better. I have yet to try.

A more aggressive chemical is to acid based wheel cleaners. Strangely I couldn't find many products like this in the US, probably due to regulations. The acid attacks iron oxides and dissolves them much quicker. They are totally safe on clear coated wheels but can damage metal and metal oxide surfaces around. Be careful if you have to use them
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:27 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrships View Post

A more aggressive chemical is to acid based wheel cleaners. Strangely I couldn't find many products like this in the US, probably due to regulations. The acid attacks iron oxides and dissolves them much quicker. They are totally safe on clear coated wheels but can damage metal and metal oxide surfaces around. Be careful if you have to use them
You can find them, I have used them. I'm not going to link because I highly recommend NOT to use them. "they are totally safe on clear coated wheels" to a certain extent that you properly dilute them (they come concentrated) and don't let them sit, don't use them on hot wheels and oh by the way as you said it will damage everything else around it.

NOT WORTH IT.

As others have said, nothing like a good quality wheel cleaner, a bunch of tools and time. It takes me about 30 minutes to do all 4 wheels, which means I'm nearly an hour into the wash by that time (setting up pressure washer, getting out buckets, mixing the soap, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:52 AM   #6
BetaBaer
Registered
Rep

Drives: Bmw

In my opinion, it's not that important which chemicals you use. It's more the frequency of cleaning that makes the difference. You'll always have brake dust, you can also reduce it by braking less. Otherwise, clean the rims more often.
I've been driving my BMW for a year and wash it regularly. My rims look like new.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:47 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

I like Iron X. Safe enough to use anywhere, including paint, removes steel/iron and brake dust.