New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #1
exi
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW M850i coupé

Removing etching (?) from interior aluminum trim?

Recent owner of a CPO M850i coupe.

There are a few areas of stained or etched interior, aluminum trim, demonstrated in attached photo, that do not clean off with typical quick detailer interior products.

Seems like somebody used an inappropriate product, but I'm not sure.

Before trying more harsh things, wanted to check in and see what was most effective for folks these days. Formerly spent a lot of time detailing cars when I had the time to do so, but I am not quite up to speed on most recent/best products lately.

(Also a few areas of staining on interior surfaces, like the glove compartment panel, also stubborn to remove; currently preferred products there?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:09 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

It certainly looks like overspray, possibly from glass cleaner. You might try a MF towel moistened with warm water before trying a polishing compound.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:39 PM   #3
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

If it's actually etched into aluminum it isn't coming off. Can you feel it in the material?

If it's a stain and you have used standard cleaning products I will also be amazed if going with something harsher will remove the stain but also not change the finish of the rest of it.

If you use something to polish it out it won't have the same matt finish the rest of it does when you are finished.
      Today, 02:09 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Agreed to all the above.

Some (most?) Interior cleaners are water based, and so water tends to get them off afterwards. Next step up could be IPA / isopropyl alcohol - usually safe and can undo things that water has left behind. After that... you might try a citrus cleaner like one of the goof-off versions.

Down the rabbit hole things do get more harsh. Acetone, xylene, and so one are probably going to melt the plastic.

A scratch remover like the Meguiars "Scratch X" could indeed work, but only if there's a layer of clear coat on top that's smooth and can be polished into a little bit. If it is matte on the top coat then yep all you'll do is shine it up.

Worst case consider shopping for interior trim and DIY's on how to get access to it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:43 PM   #5
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

something acidic like drain cleaner, such as drain-o or a pure vinegar based solution.. wipe and clean off immediately.

works well with water spots stain on windows too.
Appreciate 0