New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #1
leocce
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2022 M340i (SOLD)

Scratches on shadowline trim small window

i dont understand how a rock could do an X like this .. makes no sense... this must have been someone walking by and screwing with it...

I already tried some turtle rubbing compound and meguiars scratchx...touching it with my nail and doesnt feel like a deep scratch... Am I gonna have to paint this trim piece to correct it?
Attached Images

Last edited by leocce; Yesterday at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:14 AM   #2
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '24 M4CX

Garage List
2024 M4CX  [9.29]
Without assuming any liability if you make the problem worse, I will tell you what I would do in your situation:
  • Purchase a set of polishing bits for use with a drill. I have used these with great results on plastic, painted wheels, raw metal, etc.
  • Purchase compounds of varying abrasiveness (this is the brand I have, and they vary from 32-extreme all the way to 38-finishing polish). In theory, you should be able to start with a more abrasive compound to even out the surface, then keep using finer and finer grit compound until it's a mirror again.
  • Microfiber towels to buff compound out.
The drill polish kit is definitely the ghetto approach, since it's a pure circular motion, which can introduce its own swirls/scratches. If you have the cash, you should probably buy a mini orbital polisher instead (damn, now I have to buy one). If you do go the drill route, the trick is to start the drill spinning very slowly with the compound on the polishing bit, and spread it over the area you are going to polish, then crank up the speed and try to get as close to even coverage as you can.

Caveat emptor: I don't know anything about the composition of the trim. I have the same stuff on my G82, and I've noticed that it scratches very easily. I had my detailer buff out and then ceramic coat the side skirts... that helped quite a bit.

It is possible that the trim material is not black all the way through, but rather just a coating with white underneath. In that case, you should probably take it to a body shop, a pro detailer, or just buy a new piece of trim from BMW IMO...

Good luck, and sorry about your window.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:01 PM   #3
leocce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremmell View Post
Without assuming any liability if you make the problem worse, I will tell you what I would do in your situation:
  • Purchase a set of polishing bits for use with a drill. I have used these with great results on plastic, painted wheels, raw metal, etc.
  • Purchase compounds of varying abrasiveness (this is the brand I have, and they vary from 32-extreme all the way to 38-finishing polish). In theory, you should be able to start with a more abrasive compound to even out the surface, then keep using finer and finer grit compound until it's a mirror again.
  • Microfiber towels to buff compound out.
The drill polish kit is definitely the ghetto approach, since it's a pure circular motion, which can introduce its own swirls/scratches. If you have the cash, you should probably buy a mini orbital polisher instead (damn, now I have to buy one). If you do go the drill route, the trick is to start the drill spinning very slowly with the compound on the polishing bit, and spread it over the area you are going to polish, then crank up the speed and try to get as close to even coverage as you can.

Caveat emptor: I don't know anything about the composition of the trim. I have the same stuff on my G82, and I've noticed that it scratches very easily. I had my detailer buff out and then ceramic coat the side skirts... that helped quite a bit.

It is possible that the trim material is not black all the way through, but rather just a coating with white underneath. In that case, you should probably take it to a body shop, a pro detailer, or just buy a new piece of trim from BMW IMO...

Good luck, and sorry about your window.

ya looks like its a gray metal painted black.. the scratch was deep enough that I dont think mild rubbing compound is doing anything.. maybe ill try a heavy duty one. Ive read that jetblack 668 is the closest type of black paint for the shadowline trim, another option is just touch it up with drcolorchip jetblack..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:14 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocce View Post
i dont understand how a rock could do an X like this .. makes no sense... this must have been someone walking by and screwing with it...
It definitely was caused by a person and not road debris. 😡
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:19 PM   #5
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M4CX  [9.29]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Yeah, that looks like "keying" to me. I only know because someone that deserves to get AIDS and die keyed my entire 1993 Mustang GT right after I got a $9K paint job.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:12 PM   #6
leocce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
ya i have full ppf and asked my installer why that trim around the windows was not protected and he said they never put ppf there...... debris cant do something like that.. its just too weird looking..

unfortunately looking at it during daylight it is a bit deep.. so i think im gonna go the dr colorchip route
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:27 PM   #7
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M4CX  [9.29]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocce View Post
ya i have full ppf and asked my installer why that trim around the windows was not protected and he said they never put ppf there...... debris cant do something like that.. its just too weird looking..

unfortunately looking at it during daylight it is a bit deep.. so i think im gonna go the dr colorchip route
FWIW, I just ordered a Dr. Colorchip kit, and as far as I can tell, they only carry exterior paint and categorize by VIN number. I am not sure they could get you the same glossy super dark black on the trim, but maybe.

If it were me, I would ask a body shop, and if they wanted too much, I would just buy a new piece of trim from BMW if it were <= $200. If it were too expensive I would sand blast the friggin thing myself and paint it myself 🤓

Dr. Colorchip seems like a good way to lose $75 and still be right where you started if it comes out terribly.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:40 PM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Probably a drunk did that.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:18 PM   #9
leocce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremmell View Post
FWIW, I just ordered a Dr. Colorchip kit, and as far as I can tell, they only carry exterior paint and categorize by VIN number. I am not sure they could get you the same glossy super dark black on the trim, but maybe.

If it were me, I would ask a body shop, and if they wanted too much, I would just buy a new piece of trim from BMW if it were <= $200. If it were too expensive I would sand blast the friggin thing myself and paint it myself ��

Dr. Colorchip seems like a good way to lose $75 and still be right where you started if it comes out terribly.
ya i found the part:

SKU: 51-33-7-482-755
Positions: LEFT,Rear Left
Other Names: Finisher Side Window Rear 513240
Description:
Coupe, gloss black.

hmm imagine everytime you get a scratch or chip you have to change the trim.. lol :/

Last edited by leocce; Today at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:20 PM   #10
leocce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Probably a drunk did that.
who knows... who would have been like.. oh wow his car looks ppf.. oh but his shadowline trim is not.. shit lets scratch that.. man lol.. i dont know
Appreciate 0