New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

View Poll Results: Is brake dust on your wheels driving you insane?
I've already lost it. I powder coated my wheels gold so you can't see the brake dust 0 0%
I've considered committing myself, but this thread about ceramic coating sounds promising 1 100.00%
It bothers me, but not enough to do anything above and beyond just regular cleaning 0 0%
I don't really care about brake dust on my wheels. You have OCD. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Today, 04:38 AM   #1
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '24 M4CX

Garage List
2024 M4CX  [9.29]
Have gloss black competition wheels? You need to read this.

As all G8X owners know, the brake pads/rotors generate more dust than a freakin' lumber mill, even under light usage.

A quick tangent: when I first got my car, I couldn't even figure out how to get my wheels legitimately clean. In the end, that turned out to be easy–just get a bottle or 10 (they go quickly) of Magic Wheel Cleaner or Adam's. These contain a special chemical that bonds to iron in the brake dust, and you'll see it turn reddish-purple as it chemically reacts with the brake dust and does the work for you. Let it sit for <= 5 minutes, then hit it with the pressure washer + foam cannon. You should not need to do anything else except dry them (I use a DeWalt cordless leaf blower to dry my car, including the wheels).

OK, back to the real reason I decided to post this: Some time ago, I began to get very irritated that I kept exerting a lot of energy to clean my wheels, only to have them already turning a reddish-brown color within a couple drives to the store and back. I turned to my professional detailer. She hand cleaned, polished, and ceramic coated my wheels (with this product). It took her around 5 hours, and she charged me $300, but I can tell you it's the best money I've spent on my G82 to date. Now I can drive 10 times as far before brake dust starts accumulating on the wheels to the point that it pisses me off. I still use the magic wheel cleaner so I don't ever have to touch my wheels with anything that can scratch them.

Anyway, that is all. Get your wheels polished & ceramic coated, and then thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:55 AM   #2
Portimao Blue M440ix
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: Bmw m440i g22 Bmw 335i e92

Thanks for that.

I just dropped my new winter rims at the ceramic shop for a professional ceramic coating as well before the tires get mounted.
Appreciate 0