New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #1
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: '25 X5 50e

PayPal privacy policy change - opt out of data sharing

Just got an email from PayPal about changes to their privacy policy which now includes data sharing with 3rd parties, go turn it off in your account settings.

It's pretty crappy they're resorting to selling data, but I am not surprised, trying to monetize like everyone else -- but at least they DID give clear instruction how to opt out:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nerdogray1437.50
      Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I do not see this under my Data & Privacy.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #3
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, not sure, wonder if it's a region thing? Here's the body of the email:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352516.50
      Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

This smells like a scam to me to access your account.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #5
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
This smells like a scam to me to access your account.
LOL no, but good your Spidey Senses tingled. I've been in IT for 40+ years, it's legit for sure.

That setting was exactly where the email indicated it would be, and the email did not solicit for credentials etc, rather directs you to your account settings. It's just a new monitizing avenue, unfortunately we've devolved from an opt-in society to that of opt-out. "We're enrolling you unless you say nope".
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619433.00
      Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I looked for this as well, but couldn't find it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #7
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I found it in my account, and it was enabled. Now disabled. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #8
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

I received the email today; went in to my account and disabled just about anything I could. I rarely use PP so won’t miss it if I have to close it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #9
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Have not received the email but did find in settings and disabled it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Rep

Drives: BMW-less :(

Garage List
I gave my DW a heads-up to look out for this email. Her response was that she hasn't used PayPal in over a year because of their crazy fees...and decided on the spot to close her account.

I'll be curious to see how much their subscriber count drops in their future shareholder filings because of this attempt to monetize their user base.....
      Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #11
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I gave my DW a heads-up to look out for this email. Her response was that she hasn't used PayPal in over a year because of their crazy fees...and decided on the spot to close her account.

I'll be curious to see how much their subscriber count drops in their future shareholder filings because of this attempt to monetize their user base.....
It is about all PPal has left; there are better money transfer services at lower/no fee. If not for the link to eBay (also a bit of a has-been IMO), PPal likely would be suffering the same fate as Yahoo! I would hope, but doubt, that PPal management did the math and determined that the data revenue from their remaining accounts more than offsets the revenue loss from those closing accounts (likely non-users, like your DW).
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619433.00
      Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #12
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

Paypal is the devil in corporate form
Appreciate 1
lakefront598.50
      Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I looked for this as well, but couldn't find it.
I couldn't find it either...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #14
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I couldn't find it either...
This is copy/pasted from the email, with the links disabled in case they are to my account in any way:

PayPal
Upcoming changes to our Legal Agreements
Our updated Privacy Statement outlines how we'll use info collected about you after November 27, 2024 to inform participating stores about what products, offers, and rewards you might like.
You can opt out of this at any time in your profile settings under "Data and Privacy."
We're also making other changes to our Privacy Statement and Legal Agreements. Learn more about any of our updates on our Policy Updates page. You can also view these changes by visiting PayPal.com, selecting "Legal" at the bottom of the page, and then "Policy Updates."
PayPal
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #15
2000cs
Captain
Rep

And from the Legal/PolicyUpdates section of PayPal:

“ Last updated on September 23, 2024
Notice of Amendment(s) to the United States PayPal Agreement(s)

This Page

This page details and/or previews updates to PayPal users of changes to the United States PayPal User Agreement or other online agreements, policies, or statements that require notice. You can also review Past Policy Updates notices. Note that additional changes could be made to previewed agreements on or before the effective dates listed, provided the applicable notice requirements are met.

Upcoming Changes

We’re making changes to certain agreements (listed below) that govern your relationship with PayPal. These changes will take place automatically on the corresponding effective date(s) shown below.

Actions Needed

Please carefully review the notices below and familiarize yourself with the upcoming changes. By continuing to use our services after the changes take effect, you agree to be bound by those changes. Otherwise, no further action is needed from you to accept such changes. However, if you would prefer to decline them, then you will need to close your PayPal account prior to the applicable effective date, as described in the user agreement.

Notices

Issued: September 23, 2024

Amendments to the PayPal Privacy Statement
Effective November 27, 2024:

We are updating our Privacy Statement to explain how, starting early Summer 2025, we will share information to help improve your shopping experience and make it more personalized for you. The key update to the Privacy Statement explains how we will share information with merchants to personalize your shopping experience and recommend our services to you. Personal information we disclose includes, for example, products, preferences, sizes, and styles we think you’ll like. Information gathered about you after the effective date of our updated Privacy Statement, November 27, 2024, will be shared with participating stores where you shop, unless you live in California, North Dakota, or Vermont. For PayPal customers in California, North Dakota, or Vermont, we’ll only share your information with those merchants if you tell us to do so. No matter where you live, you’ll always be able to exercise your right to opt out of this data sharing by updating your preference settings in your account under “Data and Privacy.”
We are also making other updates to our Privacy Statement including some additional disclosures related to your right, depending on the jurisdiction in which you reside, to ask us for a list of the third parties to which we have disclosed personal information, and to provide other clarifying information.
Review the updated PayPal Privacy Statement
Review the new California, North Dakota, and Vermont Supplemental Financial Privacy Notice

Amendments to PayPal's Seller Protection Program
Effective November 18, 2024:

We are revising the ‘Basic Requirements’ for PayPal’s Seller Protection program to include integration requirements for sellers who have integrated a PayPal Checkout product with their website.
We are revising PayPal’s Seller Protection Program to extend eligibility to Guest Checkout transactions received by accounts registered in certain countries.
Review the updated Seller Protection Program

Amendments to the PayPal Online Payment Services Agreement
Effective November 18, 2024:

We are changing this agreement to introduce a new service which will enable merchants to accept Automated Clearing House (“ACH”) payments, allowing their customers to use their bank accounts as a payment method.
Consequently, we are also renaming the PayPal Online Card Payment Services Agreement, and all references thereto, to the PayPal Online Payment Services Agreement.
We are also changing our Merchant fee page to introduce new fees relating to this service.
Review the updated PayPal Online Payment Services Agreement

Review the updated Merchant Fees page

Review the new ACH Services Addendum

Discontinuation of the PayPal Fundraisers Program
Effective: October 7, 2024:

On October 7, 2024, PayPal will disable the ability to create Fundraisers.

All current Fundraisers will remain open until they expire.
You will need to move any funds from your existing Fundraisers into your PayPal balance no later than January 12, 2025. If you do not do so, we will move any remaining funds into your PayPal balance on January 13, 2025.
If you have created a Fundraiser for Charity, please keep a copy of the list of contributors to your Fundraiser for Charity for your records, as this information will no longer be available after January 12, 2025. You will be able to continue to track contributor information for other Fundraisers in your account activity.
The PayPal Fundraisers Terms and Conditions will be removed from our Legal Agreements for PayPal Services page on January 13, 2025. If you wish to retain a copy of the relevant terms, please visit our website and download a copy prior to that date. A pdf copy of the PayPal Fundraisers Terms and Conditions and corresponding fees are also available using the links below.”
Appreciate 0