New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #8427
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M550i 2022

This seems to be a good time to summarize the FEDs function. "The Fed's modern statutory mandate, as described in the 1977 amendment to the Federal Reserve Act, is to promote maximum employment and stable prices. These goals are commonly referred to as the dual mandate."

They are not tasked with helping people with poor financial literacy to make better decisions. They are not tasked with controlling household debt.

And there are limits to what they can accomplish. The law of supply/demand dictates that if supply is cut severely, and demand remains the same, prices will go up. The length of the strike (as was stated) is what will matter here. My opinion is that while rate hikes do help with inflation caused by excess money supply, they may be useless in fighting inflation caused by supply drying up.

The FED told everyone exactly what the conditions for a rate cut would be about 12-18 months ago. It unfolded, as evidenced by job and inflation data. What would have been political, is if they had not lowered rates according to the data that they were presented, after stating explicitly what they were planning to do, well in advance.

The FED will not act to shore things up over a 1/4 -1% drop in GDP from where we are now, unless jobs get hit hard. And even then, they will wait for data, and then the impact will take time to work through the system. They already said they were not planning to go big on further cuts. Unless things get very dire, very fast, we should take them at their word on that.
      Today, 06:46 AM   #8428
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
This seems to be a good time to summarize the FEDs function. "The Fed's modern statutory mandate, as described in the 1977 amendment to the Federal Reserve Act, is to promote maximum employment and stable prices. These goals are commonly referred to as the dual mandate."

They are not tasked with helping people with poor financial literacy to make better decisions. They are not tasked with controlling household debt.

And there are limits to what they can accomplish. The law of supply/demand dictates that if supply is cut severely, and demand remains the same, prices will go up. The length of the strike (as was stated) is what will matter here. My opinion is that while rate hikes do help with inflation caused by excess money supply, they may be useless in fighting inflation caused by supply drying up.

The FED told everyone exactly what the conditions for a rate cut would be about 12-18 months ago. It unfolded, as evidenced by job and inflation data. What would have been political, is if they had not lowered rates according to the data that they were presented, after stating explicitly what they were planning to do, well in advance.

The FED will not act to shore things up over a 1/4 -1% drop in GDP from where we are now, unless jobs get hit hard. And even then, they will wait for data, and then the impact will take time to work through the system. They already said they were not planning to go big on further cuts. Unless things get very dire, very fast, we should take them at their word on that.
I am still a little confused here... you said unemployment is only rising due to shedding of excess covid capacity and excess hiring during that time. If that is true as you said, interest rate adjustments will have no impact on that since those jobs aren't coming back... keeping prices stable won't help the consumer after a 30% rise in goods over the past 5 years... so I still don't see how the current rate cut helps the average consumer. Lowering rates will further destabilize that... and like you said a strike could hamper that further.
      Today, 06:48 AM   #8429
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Almost no companies… other than those 4 out of 5?
Do you mind posting the 4 out 5 companies in Q2 that are showing organic revenue growth? Not earnings... i can play the balance sheet and P&L as much as the next guy... i can also merge and takeover a company and do stock buybacks as well... what I can not do is grow my business top line without accounting tricks...or if folks are not giving me money.
      Today, 09:38 AM   #8430
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Do you mind posting the 4 out 5 companies in Q2 that are showing organic revenue growth? Not earnings... i can play the balance sheet and P&L as much as the next guy... i can also merge and takeover a company and do stock buybacks as well... what I can not do is grow my business top line without accounting tricks...or if folks are not giving me money.
Q2 revenue growth for the SP500 was 13% if I recall correctly with 75% reporting higher than expected revenue growth.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture1057.00
      Today, 09:44 AM   #8431
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
I am still a little confused here... you said unemployment is only rising due to shedding of excess covid capacity and excess hiring during that time. If that is true as you said, interest rate adjustments will have no impact on that since those jobs aren't coming back... keeping prices stable won't help the consumer after a 30% rise in goods over the past 5 years... so I still don't see how the current rate cut helps the average consumer. Lowering rates will further destabilize that... and like you said a strike could hamper that further.
Shelter/housing is the single largest factor in the calculation of CPI. Dropping of the Fed Funds Rate has helped bring average mortgage rates from 8%+ to just below 7%.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture1057.00
      Today, 09:53 AM   #8432
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

"What Is Organic Growth? Organic growth is the growth a company achieves by increasing output and enhancing sales internally. This does not include profits or growth attributable to mergers and acquisitions but rather an increase in sales and expansion through the company's own resources."
      Today, 10:08 AM   #8433
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Shelter/housing is the single largest factor in the calculation of CPI. Dropping of the Fed Funds Rate has helped bring average mortgage rates from 8%+ to just below 7%.
and it has had 0 effect on housing purchases and far more on refinancing... the housing market is entirely stuck.. because well that is a joke of an adjustement
      Today, 10:26 AM   #8434
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Q2 revenue growth for the SP500 was 13% if I recall correctly with 75% reporting higher than expected revenue growth.
60% beat which is not 4 out of 5... and i'd be very curious to see what component of that is driven by price not volume...
      Today, 10:47 AM   #8435
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:

PKOH

Too many examples to list. Many of them private.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:48 AM   #8436
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Refinancing is very helpful to the average consumer, it lowers their housing costs. Lower rates may well spur home sales, too early to tell. It is not the only factor that will come into play. Rates are still projected to go lower. Lower rates typically help with home sales.

I don't care. I can invest in real estate, or not. I can invest in mortgages, or not. I can invest in growth, or not. I can get defensive, or not. I will take what the market gives me and do my best to act upon it.

Arguing theory, or second-guessing what decision makers do is a losing game. Act on what you believe and compare your results in 6 mos or a year to a benchmark. See how your viewpoint works for you against an objective measure. That is what I do.

The only way this thread has any value is if it produces helpful strategies and ideas. So, what are everyone's ideas on how to play this market?

Last edited by DrVenture; Today at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:46 AM   #8437
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Refinancing is very helpful to the average consumer, it lowers their housing costs. Lower rates may well spur home sales, too early to tell. It is not the only factor that will come into play. Rates are still projected to go lower. Lower rates typically help with home sales.

I don't care. I can invest in real estate, or not. I can invest in mortgages, or not. I can invest in growth, or not. I can get defensive, or not. I will take what the market gives me and do my best to act upon it.

Arguing theory, or second-guessing what decision makers do is a losing game. Act on what you believe and compare your results in 6 mos or a year to a benchmark. See how your viewpoint works for you against an objective measure. That is what I do.

The only way this thread has any value is if it produces helpful strategies and ideas. So, what are everyone's ideas on how to play this market?
Who is refinancing from 7% to 8%? This is where the most mortgage activity is currently taking place... but there aren't that many people that are refinancing with moves like that... in fact, it wouldn't be wise to do so if you know math and understand the ROI... especially if there is belief long term rates will go down further.

The decision makers should be working for us... but they don't... they work for those that control the system... i.e. the banks and corporations, so you can feel about that how you feel, i'll feel about it how i feel.

As far as moves in this market... you've only got 2 - keep investing or short everything. Holding cash as seen by the last few years could be incredibly damaging and whether we like it or not, currency will be devalued further as we drop rates.
      Today, 12:12 PM   #8438
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

I assume that you have been hanging out at places habituated by libertarians. Is that a safe assumption?
      Today, 12:20 PM   #8439
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I assume that you have been hanging out at places habituated by libertarians. Is that a safe assumption?
about as moderate as it gets... but i have a strange suspicion we voted for the same people
      Today, 01:04 PM   #8440
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
about as moderate as it gets... but i have a strange suspicion we voted for the same people
The things you are saying mirror what a Libertarian friend of mine says, almost perfectly. He is also very negative on the government, the FED, the economy and jobs, etc. A permabear, really. Hence, my question.

My investing toolbox has more than two choices in it. I alluded to one potential option a few pages back. Fixed Income (bonds and bond fund) absolutely shines when rates come down. If you are sour on the market, and risk-averse, and looking to beat inflation, that is an area to look into. Assuming you are not in your 30's or 40's.

Last edited by DrVenture; Today at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0