New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #1
HampshireUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

Unexpected next car option Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

My X3 G01 M40i replacement options were looking limited but I am sure you have seen all the fantastic reviews. I have to at least test drive one this weekend, the interior maybe the biggest challenge.

Anyone else own or considered one, the Joe Achillies video below

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/ioniq-5/n

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyundai/ioniq-5-n
Appreciate 1
David701687.00
      Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If the battery range works for your driving, it looks like a fun car.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

With it being rated at 221 miles range on the U.S. test I wouldn't buy it. As said above, it it works for what you need it would be a lot of fun. The never ending "what about when you drive across the country each week" replies drive me crazy.

As for the range, here's my problem with it - 221 is new battery, best case, 100% charged, - they don't want you to regularly charge past 80% so you leave in the morning with 176 miles of range, like a gas car you can't get close to zero so realistically you have 150 miles of range? Overtime you lose 10% of the battery, extreme weather takes another 10%? I would prefer an EV that started this whole calculation at 300 miles of range.

What I don't understand is with the size of the battery, seems like an "Eco mode" or if driven sensibly why it wouldn't have more range. Small car with 84 kWh battery, similar weight, smaller battery in the Kia EV6 has significantly more range U.S. cycle is I think 310 miles range?
      Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
With it being rated at 221 miles range on the U.S. test I wouldn't buy it. As said above, it it works for what you need it would be a lot of fun. The never ending "what about when you drive across the country each week" replies drive me crazy.

As for the range, here's my problem with it - 221 is new battery, best case, 100% charged, - they don't want you to regularly charge past 80% so you leave in the morning with 176 miles of range, like a gas car you can't get close to zero so realistically you have 150 miles of range? Overtime you lose 10% of the battery, extreme weather takes another 10%? I would prefer an EV that started this whole calculation at 300 miles of range.

What I don't understand is with the size of the battery, seems like an "Eco mode" or if driven sensibly why it wouldn't have more range. Small car with 84 kWh battery, similar weight, smaller battery in the Kia EV6 has significantly more range U.S. cycle is I think 310 miles range?
I think our advice is solid and accurate. As an EV driver I think those stats should be taken into account. That is a small battery and range.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My observation is this. I live in the mid-Atlantic USA in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia. People from Washington DC drive out here on weekends to drive the back country roads. EV are great for at home fueling and around town errand running.

With barely 200 miles of range, which is the round trip just to get from DC to the sticks, where the roads are great, you'll have to charge up once or twice ripping around the mountains out where I live. I know the Hyundais are fast at recharging, but sustained elevated hooning for hours as one will want to do, recharging just eats up the meat of the daylight hours you can drive the 5N in. I moved out here 20+ years ago for the reason to be in the mix of the playground rather than spend hours driving out and back.

Most US cities don't have great roads near them or racetracks for that matter to drive on. The 5N doesn't have enough range to get to the good roads to drive on, race around for a few hours and then get back home. An ICEV sports car just needs 5 minutes to refuel. I honestly do not see the point of this car.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; Yesterday at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #6
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Can you imagine the depreciation on the trifecta of Hyundai, EV, and quasi performance vehicle?! It's gotta be brutal, especially considering how small of a battery it has.

Why are you getting rid of the X3 M40i?
Appreciate 1
Mavus2168.50
      Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #7
mjj
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2025 M4 Comp Verde BR

I am sure it would fun to rip around in. If I had tons of extra space I wouldn’t mind one. But it would be a 3rd or 4th special use vehicle at best given its limitations on range.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #8
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Errand runs, kids to activities toy. Looks like a blast to drive too.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Reviews are great and it seems like a really fun car. Let us know how you like the test drive.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #10
wizardofOz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: M135i

It looks like a fun car and I watched Mischas' video around the Nurburgring showing its capabilities...curious to know the costs of repair on one, for example if the battery fails/needs replacing once its 5 year warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #11
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofOz View Post
It looks like a fun car and I watched Mischas' video around the Nurburgring showing its capabilities...curious to know the costs of repair on one, for example if the battery fails/needs replacing once its 5 year warranty expires.
I don't know what type of warranty you get in the UK but in the U.S. they give a 10 year/ 100k mile warranty on the battery and "system components" (whatever that means) to the original and subsequent owner.

70% goes back to my original concern on its limited range -

Quote:
That’s why we cover our batteries and system components for our hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and all-electric vehicles with a 10- year/100,000-mile warranty. While all electric-car batteries will experience degradation over time, ours will not degrade more than 70 percent of the original capacity during the warranty period.
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/ass...-best-warranty
      Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #12
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
I'd rather keep the same car for as long as I can. 5, 10, 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #13
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E88 135i 6MT

I'm leasing just a regular Ioniq5 AWD right now. It's hilariously fast for what it is, I can only imagine the N would be even more of a blast. With the regular awd, if I turn off the traction stuff as much as possible, I can get the back end to whip around. Guessing the N with more controls would be even more fun. I just couldn't justify the added cost for what is just a commuter car for me, I already have another fun project car.

It's a fun car for what it is. I consider EV's to be regional commuters. I've driven 200ish miles round trip comfortably, but that's only happened like once or twice a year and I have the regular AWD, so a lot more range than the N. I have a larger ICE car for when I go on road trips, the EV just sits at home. But conversely, that means my ICE car sits 95% of the time when I can just take the EV...
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #14
HampshireUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

Thanks all for the replies.

Looking forward to the test drive on Saturday

Thinking maybe keeping the X3 G01 M40i that’s 6 years old in December, 49k miles, recently had full service and 4 new 21” tyres. Then selling the wife’s 2 years old M135i xdrive, she then uses my X3 as a daily with her 12 miles a day

My journey to work is 30 miles each way and my company offer the Hyundai on salary sacrifice with insurance, tax, maintenance and tyres for 3 years with no deposit for a very attractive price per month.

Will let you know how test drive goes
Appreciate 2
gblansten2398.50
      Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #15
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I like my money too much to ever buy a brand new EV. The depreciation on these is going to be massive, they will be $35k in two years. For the price of this you can get a CPO Macan turbo/GTS and have $20-40k left over with no major repair costs to worry about and a car that’s more luxurious and has taken the brunt of its depreciation already. And it’s a Porsche and not a Hyundai. But that’s just me.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:41 AM   #16
wizardofOz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I like my money too much to ever buy a brand new EV. The depreciation on these is going to be massive, they will be $35k in two years. For the price of this you can get a CPO Macan turbo/GTS and have $20-40k left over with no major repair costs to worry about and a car that’s more luxurious and has taken the brunt of its depreciation already. And it’s a Porsche and not a Hyundai. But that’s just me.
Aside from depreciation, I can't get my head around a car without an ICE - I mean I've sat in EVs' before but like its lost....its soul?

Just my personal view and not knocking on the OP or the Hyundai.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2168.50
      Today, 09:30 AM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofOz View Post
Aside from depreciation, I can't get my head around a car without an ICE - I mean I've sat in EVs' before but like its lost....its soul?

Just my personal view and not knocking on the OP or the Hyundai.
Just because you can't doesn't mean other people can't. I know people that race them, and do well racing them.
      Today, 09:39 AM   #18
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Getting the charger installed in my garage (and the cost) was full stop for me on this.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:01 AM   #19
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Just because you can't doesn't mean other people can't. I know people that race them, and do well racing them.
People will race anything. It's one of humanity's greatest pieces. If it moves, we will race it. Tractors, school buses, lawnmowers, boats, planes, cars... If it goes, it will race.

My biggest issue with EVs is they're leaning WAY too hard on the eco side of it. I was watching a review of the Volvo EX90 the other night. Exterior looked great, but inside it looked like cheap crap because all the materials were "eco focused". Just make normal cars EVs and stop trying to sell me the virtue signaling about how eco conscious it is.

It's a shame too because it gets rid of the horribly unreliable turbosuper 4banger.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:42 AM   #20
wizardofOz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I'm not saying other people can't, like I said its just my personal opinion and not at the OP/Hyundai.
Appreciate 0