New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-18-2024, 01:30 PM   #1
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I desperately need help finding a home for my dog.

EDIT: after contacting dozens of shelters all who had no room, sending Wrenley to a month long training $2400, asking friends, family, reddit, forums, and finding no interest in him, we made the tough decision to euthanize. Wrenley was so brave and I miss him so much. He died peacefully in my arms after having a big juicy steak for breakfast. Its not the same without him. If youre a dog owner reading this please give your dog a big hug for me.

Hello,

About a year ago we got a 3rd dog in our house, he's a rescue from the Virgin Islands that looks like a Pit/Lab mix. The problem is that he has a severe resource guarding issue. For the past year that we've had him, he's attacked our other dogs multiple times over toys, food, a spot on the couch or on the bed, etc. Me and my wife have both gotten injured trying to break up dog fights that he initiates.

We tried for a month handing out flyers, posting him on adoption websites, asking around with our friends and family, asking at our works trying to find a home for him but found no one that wants him (understandably). After we couldnt find anyone, we sent him to training for an entire month ($2400) to try to get him to behave and listen to us. He wears a shock collar now too. Its been 3 days since he got back from training and he's already gone after one of our other dogs because he wanted a spot on the bed that our other dog was in.

We are at the point where we are considering euthanizing him and this post is a last ditch effort to find some way to not have to do that. No-kill shelters around the area are all full, training and shock collar did nothing, and no one wants him. We cant give him back to the shelter we adopted him from as its been too long. We could surrender him to a kill shelter but giving him anxiety for a month before his death seems less humane than just putting him down now.

I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone has. Ideally someone sees this post and wants to adopt him but you have to understand he cannot go to a home with another dog and I wouldnt even trust him around small kids or babies either. Understandably, no one wants a dog like that.

When he's alone he's just a normal, great dog. Playful, loves playing tug-o-war and zooming around the house and yard. He snuggles with us on the bed and couch. He's incredibly cute! If you saw him alone you wouldnt think he had any problems at all. Right now our other two dogs are over at my in-laws house while we deal with the troublemaker and he's just chilling on the couch or chewing a toy. I know the right home for him is out there somewhere it just seems impossible to find. I am in St. Louis, Missouri but I would be open to delivering him almost anywhere to save his life.

Even if you arent interested in adopting him I'd like to hear any other suggestions you might have to rehome him.

Thank you.

Some of those pictures are older from when he was more of a puppy, currently hes about 70lb and the top of his back comes up to right above my knees. He's obviously black but he also has some white on his chest.

Last edited by Joebie; 09-11-2024 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66313.00
      08-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #2
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Bad situation all around. I hope you find someone to take him.
Appreciate 2
Joebie916.00
vreihen1619087.50
      08-18-2024, 07:50 PM   #3
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Look up Big Dog Ranch, they are in South Florida and somewhere else. She volunteers there and they are a no kill shelter.
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1431.50
Joebie916.00
      08-18-2024, 09:16 PM   #4
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Look up Big Dog Ranch, they are in South Florida and somewhere else. She volunteers there and they are a no kill shelter.
i will send an email. thank you.

EDIT: nevermind then wont take him thanks anyways for the suggestion

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 04:51 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Hope you find a home for him.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 07:19 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd be posting/looking through more rural/outdoorsman connections - farm-and-feed stores, sporting goods stores, etc. and canvassing the people who work at the no-kill shelters. You are right that suburbanites with kids or other pets won't be willing, but there are other settings where his temperment might not be that much of an issue. Best of luck with this.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 11:38 AM   #7
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

After contacting dozens of shelters all who had no room, sending Wrenley to a month long training $2400, asking friends, family, reddit, forums, and finding no interest in him, we made the tough decision to euthanize. Wrenley was so brave and I miss him so much. He died peacefully in my arms after having a big juicy steak for breakfast. Its not the same without him. If youre a dog owner reading this please give your dog a big hug for me.
Appreciate 9
DrVenture898.00
vreihen1619087.50
nerdogray1431.50
rebekahb3178.00
ekaz82.00
Wolf 3352507.50
Buug95921301.50
      09-11-2024, 01:01 PM   #8
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

You did everything you could do. I admire and respect you taking it all the way to the very end and being with him. Many would not do that.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture898.00
      09-11-2024, 03:23 PM   #9
CLTMDA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: ‘73 Mustang Conv, Lucid Air GT

Hate to hear this, but seems to be for the best. I pass a yard every day that has a dog that the owners rescued from The Virgin Islands. The dog started out as very friendly, just wanted to play with whoever was walking by their back fence on the trail, human or canine. As it has grown older, the dog has turned downright vicious. The snarl/growl/bark that comes from that dog is demonic. My dogs (bigger and older) try to ignore it, but my largest doesn't like getting barked at, by any other dogs. He has a very mean bark as well, but he tends to use a high pitched bark at that dog whenever confronted.

Bad thing is, we haven't seen that dog out the last couple weeks. I wonder if they came to the same conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 03:55 PM   #10
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Our Wrenley was so sweet when he was alone, but when he got into it with our other dogs he was downright scary. Some dogs just arent cut out for this world, at least that's what I try to tell myself. Taking him into the vet on his last day was one of the most emotionally difficult things ive ever had to do but i try to tell myself it was the right thing to do especially given the over-crowding of shelters with dogs who DONT have behavioral issues. He would have never found a home in a shelter. The shelters I called said they have normal dogs there with no issues that cant find homes for 18+ months.
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1431.50
RickFLM411511.00