New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-26-2024, 12:57 AM   #1
beckythebamboo
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 535xi

Tesla Autopilot vs. BMW DAPP?

For those who have tried both Tesla Autopilot and BMW DAPP, which one was a better experience, and why?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2024, 01:50 AM   #2
swiego29382
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Autopilot in its current form is substantially better than DAPP. The latter is susceptible to ping-ponging between lane boundaries, particularly entering curves, brakes unexpectedly far more often than Autopilot and disengages for no obvious reason more frequently. I do find Autopilot to struggle with lane splits and merges a bit more than Driver Assistance, and Autopilot does not offer any sort of hands-off mode, so it’s not entirely one-sided. But, if I were evaluating the features holistically, I’d put Autopilot over DAPP by a decent margin.

FSD is substantially better than Autopilot and DAPP with basic speed control & lane keep in v12, IMO.

We own both BMW and Tesla, drive both daily and love them both.
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
beckythebamboo
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego29382 View Post
Autopilot in its current form is substantially better than DAPP. The latter is susceptible to ping-ponging between lane boundaries, particularly entering curves, brakes unexpectedly far more often than Autopilot and disengages for no obvious reason more frequently. I do find Autopilot to struggle with lane splits and merges a bit more than Driver Assistance, and Autopilot does not offer any sort of hands-off mode, so it’s not entirely one-sided. But, if I were evaluating the features holistically, I’d put Autopilot over DAPP by a decent margin.

FSD is substantially better than Autopilot and DAPP with basic speed control & lane keep in v12, IMO.

We own both BMW and Tesla, drive both daily and love them both.
Thanks! Currently debating between Model 3 lease and 2022 540. Based on owning both, which do you think is a better option?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 06:53 PM   #4
swiego29382
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckythebamboo View Post
Thanks! Currently debating between Model 3 lease and 2022 540. Based on owning both, which do you think is a better option?
I think it depends quite a bit on your priorities. I believe the model three is an incredibly Engineered vehicle with a center of gravity not far off any supercar you could drive. It’s stupid fast, and highly responsive. If your lifestyle can accommodate the charging need, then I would probably choose it in spite of the relatively spartan interior and it likely being a Somewhat louder road car. Conversely, I would expect a 540 to be quieter and more comfortable, with better looks and likely, a higher quality cabin, and of course, far greater flexibility when it comes to fueling. It will make nice noises, be pretty good dynamically, and probably superior to the Tesla when it comes to braking, and likely be less prone to rattles. On the other hand, it’ll never get another software update that makes it better. Unlike the Tesla, it will never be nearly as responsive, and it’s a used IC that will require tires, brake pads, various fluid changes and so forth.

Honestly, it’s a pretty good balance between the two, and I would pick whichever has the least monthly payment.
Appreciate 0