New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

07-15-2024, 07:50 AM   #1
iceburgh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW M2C

Fineline Black Wood Trim Polish?

Has anyone successfully polished Fineline Black Wood trim? During my first road trip with the car, my dog managed to drool a bit on the trim. Unfortunately, I didn’t clean it up soon enough and it seems to have slightly etched the trim.

Seems like it should be safe to polish given what seems to be some sort of clearcoat, but looking for any confirmation or recommendations with how to approach the detail. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 08:30 AM   #2
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Drives: '22 M3 6-spd FS & 2025 M850ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburgh View Post
Has anyone successfully polished Fineline Black Wood trim? During my first road trip with the car, my dog managed to drool a bit on the trim. Unfortunately, I didn’t clean it up soon enough and it seems to have slightly etched the trim.

Seems like it should be safe to polish given what seems to be some sort of clearcoat, but looking for any confirmation or recommendations with how to approach the detail. Thanks!
I would not "polish" per se, as that implies cutting into the clearcoat. I would think a thorough cleaning with a moist microfiber would be in order. Or perhaps you've already tried that.
      07-15-2024, 10:43 AM   #3
iceburgh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I would not "polish" per se, as that implies cutting into the clearcoat. I would think a thorough cleaning with a moist microfiber would be in order. Or perhaps you've already tried that.
Already tried that with P&S Xpress Interior. It seems to be slightly etched but not to the touch which is why I would imagine it would be best, if it is safe, to do a light polish.
Appreciate 1
Llarry20343.00
      07-15-2024, 02:41 PM   #4
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Drives: '22 M3 6-spd FS & 2025 M850ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburgh View Post
Already tried that with P&S Xpress Interior. It seems to be slightly etched but not to the touch which is why I would imagine it would be best, if it is safe, to do a light polish.
Understand. I would try a polish with the finest cut possible. Best of luck with the repair!
      07-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #5
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

I would use a plastic polish (mother's [red bottle] is my favorite). Quite fine, no real risk of burning through unless you go crazy.

Any fine/final/finishing polish from any major brand will be good too, just go easy with your hand movements.
Llarry20343.00
      07-25-2024, 11:04 PM   #6
Kstoff125
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW m4

Try a water spot remover. 3D makes something called Eraser Gel, which is an aggressive acid based product. It won’t hurt the finish as long as you don’t leave it sit for more than 30 sec. This will work if the spot is a result of minerals from the dogs drool.

A less aggressive approach would be to try a clay bar.

Both 3D and P&S make good water spot removers.

HiTech Industries sells really good clay, comes from Japan and you can get light, medium and heavy cut clay.
Appreciate 0