New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-10-2024, 11:54 AM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

My dealer offered loaners but it's been years since I've gone to my dealer since the warranty and the extended maintenance package I paid for expired. For fluid type services which typically shouldn't take that long, I set up an appointment before hand. For the work that requires more time, I have been able to set up an appointment with my SA and have him reserve a loaner for me. For me getting any loaner is just nice. I don't care what car I get. I have a friend that is a BMW tech at my dealership and the stories he tells me about customer getting all bent out of shape about the type of loaner they got just astounds me.

As to BMWCCA1's recounting of shenanigans with the loaners in his fleet, it's probably why my dealership is requiring a credit card and a copy of your insurance card. They never used to do this.

I wonder how long it'll be before BMW Motorrad starts changing their customer transport policies. As part of the 3/36k mile warranty, roadside is included. This means having your motorcycle towed to the dealership and payment of an Uber from the dealership and then back to the dealership when the bike is ready. I forget all the terms but there is a set amount time to take advantage of the Uber perk and distance. I took advantage of the roadside via my dealership's suggestion when I had a recall on my 22 K67 RR for the intake camshaft. Sounded serious enough where I didn't want to ride the bike anymore. Called Roadside told them the reason why I wanted my bike towed, they didn't argue and set up the tow. I wasn't able to take advantage of the Uber to the dealership to get my bike as it took a while for the repairs to be done due to parts availability. My dealership gave me one of their demo motorcycles, GS800, to ride home when I had an unexpected issue with my RR. I had set up an appointment to get the timing chain tensioner replaced under recall and while there, the water/oil pump failed. I had to return the GS800 the next day though.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16715.00
      07-10-2024, 12:05 PM   #24
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
IMO, a big reason you buy a higher end car is higher end service. Not being offered a loaner is UNACCEPTABLE at a luxury car level. I can understand having to make an appointment to ensure you have one, but they should have a loaner fleet that's sized enough to not have to wait more than likely a week.

Going one step further, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a similar vehicle as your loaner. If I have an X7, a 2 series is probably not going to work as a loaner if I need a 3 row for my kids.

The auto industry is more competitive than ever. BMW needs to get its dealers in line and start offering loaners or people will just go elsewhere. Dealers not offering loaners is purely to boost their profits at the expense of the customer, and it's BS.

My local dealer is pretty good about loaners. If my dealer didn't offer loaners, I would not buy a BMW, and would buy from a company that did offer loaners.

Regarding the loaner taken from VA to FL... If it's under warranty I think that's totally fair. A defect means their vehicle is down. The fact that they were going on a vacation should not be interrupted because of a defect with their vehicle. Now if the car is just in for an oil change ge and they take the car to Disney for a week, that's different IMO.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16715.00
      07-10-2024, 01:04 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

For one service situation, I had a loaner but had to make a trip which would put me over the mileage cap they set to have a loaner. I talked to my SA about it and he got the mileage cap waived. It's unfortunate that common courtesy is lacking these days and here we are with restrictive loaner policies or no loaners at all because people just can't be proper adults.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16715.00
      07-10-2024, 03:28 PM   #26
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
For one service situation, I had a loaner but had to make a trip which would put me over the mileage cap they set to have a loaner. I talked to my SA about it and he got the mileage cap waived. It's unfortunate that common courtesy is lacking these days and here we are with restrictive loaner policies or no loaners at all because people just can't be proper adults.
Or because dealers insist on ever increasing profits...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 06:50 AM   #27
Jbucks
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330i xDrive

I recently had to get a part replaced. 24-hour job. I had to wait three weeks to get in in order to drive a loaner, which was a ‘24 X3 lightly equipped.

My question is, why can’t the dealer just give you one of the many used cars on the lot to drive for a day? What’s an additional 50 miles on one of those?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #28
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbucks View Post
I recently had to get a part replaced. 24-hour job. I had to wait three weeks to get in in order to drive a loaner, which was a ‘24 X3 lightly equipped.

My question is, why can’t the dealer just give you one of the many used cars on the lot to drive for a day? What’s an additional 50 miles on one of those?
They could but then when one pops a rod bearing, who owns the repair? Obviously the dealer, but it's a pain.

Plus a lot of people will just accept no loaner, or an Uber, or sitting in a waiting room and save them money. That money saved goes directly into the franchise owners pockets. And they need another yacht ya know?
Appreciate 1
Jbucks20.00
      07-11-2024, 10:11 PM   #29
kudos
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I only request a loaner if my car is going to be in the shop for more than a day. I also pass on a loaner if they try to give me the Honda 240i lol. The 2 series is such a POS that I'd rather ride my Schwinn.
Yet it's faster than your car
      07-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #30
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '22 G82 Base

The one time I had to bring my G82 in for a headlight condensation issue, the dealer had different loaner options; i4, i7, X3M, XM.
They first gave me the i4 (eDrive 35, not M50), which was underwhelming.
When I found out it'll take more than a few days to get BMW's approval for a replacement, I demanded a gas vehicle and chose the XM.
(It was a frickin' boat that thing but oh man, the ride was so confidence-inspiring for a 6k lbs. hog. I was actually impressed with it until I saw the $160k price tag lol)

All BMW dealers I've been to from KY to GA, all gave me a loaner no questions asked.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16715.00
      07-12-2024, 01:30 PM   #31
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
My other car is a Range Rover. I have not owned a BMW for awhile. With Land Rover Seattle, they have an Enterprise desk right in the dealer. If your car is under warranty, they will rent you a Land Rover from the enterprise desk and pay for it. If it's not under warranty you can still get the car, just you have to pay for it. And never for oil changes.

I'm sure BMW has 2 problems with loaners for everyone. People do not respect the loaner because it is not their car. They treat them like free reign to abuse. And the dealers still need to sell the car afterwards. The less miles on them or repairs, the better. I am sure they are more willing t offer a loaner if you are someone who they know will not abuse their car.

Also an oil service should not take long. Schedule your day around it. Plan in advance and take a couple hours off if you need to.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16715.00
      07-12-2024, 08:23 PM   #32
snaimpally
Major
Rep

Drives: 2022 F44 M235i GC

Garage List
2022 M235i  [0.00]
These days, I think most dealerships do things like oil changes on a "while you wait" basis so the loaners are for people getting things done where they will probably have the vehicle overnight (or longer). I don't think this is unreasonable. I have never had an issue getting a loaner from the dealer when I had work being done.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2024, 02:27 AM   #33
mjr24
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 25 X7, 24 I7

Sounds like you guys need new dealers. I had an oil change in my M8 the other day and requested/was given an i5 M60i. Since I’ve had the M8, they’ve also given me M850i, X7 M50i and new 7 series loaners.
2025 X7 40i, 2024 I7 60i, 2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16715.00