E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Short Crank, No Start SOMETIMES, and NO Codes

06-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #1
jps328x91
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328 xdrive E91

Short Crank, No Start SOMETIMES, and NO Codes

Hi gang,

2011 328xdrive wagon with N52 and automatic transmission with about 115k miles on the clock. I have owned it for a year and a half.

I have a weird one for the brain trust and I have not found any similar posts in the forum, so please point me in the right direction if this already exists.

Two weeks ago, I was running some errands and after the 3rd or 4th stop, I got back in the car and hit the start button and I had nothing. I tried jumping the car from another car and I could hear the relay clicking, but no crank at all. Sent the car to my local mechanic and he put a new starter in. Car ran great for a few days. Even started more quickly than it did with the old starter (fewer and faster cranks).

After a few days, one day I went to the car and I got a short crank with no start. Waited a few second and hit the start button again and it started. This happened for a few days where I would get that half crank and no start, but it would always start. Then one day, it stalled at low speed (first time the car has ever stalled since I have had it). That same day, while driving in town, I had a weird RPM drop while driving about 20 mph at 3,000rpm, the RPM dropped to around 1200 and it felt almost like someone hit the brakes. Very weird.

The next day, while doing all the same stuff, it stalled pulling out of a parking spot. Still no codes.

I sent the car back to the mechanic to see if he could find anything, recommended the ground strap. He put a new one in. Car started right up for a few days. Then, after a few days, it started again where I would get those short crank, no start, then start on second try. Still no codes.

This past Tuesday morning, I got in the car and I only got the short crank and it would not start. Tried it a few times and it never started. I put a new battery in hoping it was the battery and that did not work. I scanned the car and there were still no codes. On Friday, my friend came over with a different scanner and there were still no codes. On a whim, he hit the start button and it started right up. We started and stopped it probably 10 times, even drove around town and had no problems. I took it back to the mechanic to tell him to find something that might be loose. By the third or fourth time he went to move the car in his lot, it wouldn't start for him either.

This is totally crazy! Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
jps328x91
Rep

Anyone have any input on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #3
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

This is tough one from what you’re describing.
You didn’t mention how you’re scanning. INPA, ISTA?
I’ve used simple Carly and missed an obvious codes buried somewhere.

The only thing came close to what you’re describing for me, was the crankshaft position sensor. Although mine was long crank instead of short crank for you. But similar symptoms.

Although, it seems you might have fuel issue too.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 02:57 PM   #4
jps328x91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
This is tough one from what you’re describing.
You didn’t mention how you’re scanning. INPA, ISTA?
I’ve used simple Carly and missed an obvious codes buried somewhere.

The only thing came close to what you’re describing for me, was the crankshaft position sensor. Although mine was long crank instead of short crank for you. But similar symptoms.

Although, it seems you might have fuel issue too.

Carly, BimmerLink, and Autel. I'm trying to see if I can get an ISTA / INPA scan.

It's crazy.
Appreciate 0