New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

02-16-2023, 07:36 AM   #1
bennywebb
Scotland
Rep

Drives: BMW X3

External plastic protection tips

Hi, when I bought my 2016 X3 3 years ago, it came with what I believe were aftermarket gloss black plastic wing mirror caps. Over the years the surface has faded away to the bare plastic underneath. I decided to replace them with a fresh set but wanted to ask if anyone had any tips to stop the same thing happening with this new set? I’ve had a search around and can’t find a definitive answer for this type of issue (I’m finding mostly products for interior plastics).
Do I need a special sealer to protect it from UV and road contaminants or do I just keep them topped up with a decent car wax, e.g. I have Bilt Hamber Speed Wax. Should I actually avoid putting wax on finished plastics?

I’ve added a pic of how the old ones look compared to the new one. The old one is on top, obviously…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
bennywebb
Scotland
Rep

Drives: BMW X3

Make that on the left, I guess the forum attachments don't rotate pics
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennywebb View Post
Hi, when I bought my 2016 X3 3 years ago, it came with what I believe were aftermarket gloss black plastic wing mirror caps. Over the years the surface has faded away to the bare plastic underneath. I decided to replace them with a fresh set but wanted to ask if anyone had any tips to stop the same thing happening with this new set? I’ve had a search around and can’t find a definitive answer for this type of issue (I’m finding mostly products for interior plastics).
Do I need a special sealer to protect it from UV and road contaminants or do I just keep them topped up with a decent car wax, e.g. I have Bilt Hamber Speed Wax. Should I actually avoid putting wax on finished plastics?

I’ve added a pic of how the old ones look compared to the new one. The old one is on top, obviously…
I've had my mirror caps PPF'd along with all the gloss black exterior trim on my X5.
Appreciate 0