New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Been there, but not on a bike. But, thanks for the idea-- I'm always looking for a good "bike destination" (or string of destinations), and I've been mulling an east coast tour for a while now!
Having ridden 3 trips from Virgina out to the Rockies, I've spent a good amount of time there. Having toured the East Coast extensively too, New England, Pennsylvania, Virgina, the Carolina's all have great touring areas to explore. Here you live in the mountains as compared to living around the mountains out West.

Getting through Kansas-to-Ohio is... brutal.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #46
GregP
Rep

Drives: 2015 328i 2016 228i

There seems to me a BMW/Ducati theme being established here! She spends most of her time on the track but here’s a cleaned up shot of my 01’ S4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Lady Jane80265.50
coonz2439.00
Dino GT35063.50
armo60.00
      02-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #47
armo
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Well, if you're really an Armo, chances are you're in the Valley lol. There's lots of canyons and hills for you to go ride during the weekdays where there's less traffic.

I'd also go carve up the malibu canyons during the weekdays. Except Tuesday's (trash day) and Thursday's it's PCH on the ocean side of the mountain.
I am an Armo. but a Jersey Armo. If I had year round riding weather and Cali canyons maybe I wouldn't be considering selling it. ha
      02-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #48
shoei
Banned
Rep

Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by armo View Post
Quote:
Well, if you're really an Armo, chances are you're in the Valley lol. There's lots of canyons and hills for you to go ride during the weekdays where there's less traffic.

I'd also go carve up the malibu canyons during the weekdays. Except Tuesday's (trash day) and Thursday's it's PCH on the ocean side of the mountain.
I am an Armo. but a Jersey Armo. If I had year round riding weather and Cali canyons maybe I wouldn't be considering selling it. ha
Completely changes things. It's not really the same bonding when the bike has to be drained of fluids and slapped on a battery tender for 4-6 months out of the year lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #49
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
How do you like it?

wanted to let you know how I like the PanAm...and I like it very much.

Usually drive an M235 and always careful and a bit stressful due to poor quality road surface ( sidewall bubbles and the thunk of sharp impacts ). I won't drive up to Philly or NewYork in my 235 because of the tires, I'm just scared of a flat.

The PanAm suspension is smooth and just smothers any road imperfections, don't even need to slow for speed bumps. I wonder if the spoke wheels help in that factor over the stamped wheels.
How the suspension compresses and rebounds from emergency braking is like magic. But I don't have a lot of experience with bikes in general to compare.

The cockpit display is excellent. At least equal to BMW R1250GS. But I couldn't figure out how to change the time w/o the owners manual.

The Daymaker Adaptive headlight is very good. Late last night cruising winding roads out in the horse country and the way the lighting illuminates into the turn is very neat. Never driven the BMW 1250GS at night so can't compare. But Harley lighting is very neat and confidence inspiring on pitch black backroads.

So the heat from the engine...I was just wearing running shoes with ankle socks and would place my tippy toes on the peg and lift my ankle to create a bit of respite from the exhaust on the right side and the extractor fan on the left side.

I'm like 5 foot eight or nine and under 165 pounds and for me to get the bike on or off the center stand is difficult. But I wasn't on a flat surface and was wearing moccasins so maybe after watching some YouTube video and getting on level ground it might get easier.

Also I think I'm going to get an aftermarket foot shifter peg that is wider than OEM, after riding all day and switching into a heavy boot for the evening ride I had a bit of trouble sensing the shifter peg. Also I need to get better gloves before commenting on clutch and throttle actuation.
I wish the handle bar controls were backlit for night riding but I also need to curtail night riding so maybe that is an omen.

Very comfy bike and will be my preferred choice for trips into the city and Wholefoods runs. But even with adaptive ride height suspension it's a big bike, but I need to make sure I have the seat in the lowest position slot on future rides.

Thank you for asking and if I learn anything new and worthwhile I'll post here.
Attached Images

Last edited by overcoil; 02-24-2022 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 3
coonz2439.00
Lady Jane80265.50
Dino GT35063.50
      02-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #50
Joe T
Rep

Drives: F16 X6

There was a time I had 12 in the garage... kids and work ruined that. I'm down to 1 now, but started the search for another Confederate (but not new enough to be a Curtiss)

here's my '03 Heritage Springer (Have all the stock parts for the next guy... except the 5 speed trans and stock rear shocks)
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
overcoil3106.50
coonz2439.00
Lady Jane80265.50
Dino GT35063.50
      02-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Softail custom I put on the rode back in 2002, modeled on the '99 FXD. the rims have since been powdercoated a dark grey

Get off my lawn!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
coonz2439.00
Lady Jane80265.50
Dino GT35063.50
      02-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #52
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I'm like 5 foot eight or nine and under 165 pounds and for me to get the bike on or off the center stand is difficult. But I wasn't on a flat surface and was wearing moccasins so maybe after watching some YouTube video and getting on level ground it might get easier.
For some reason I thought there was an option to have the suspension drop when the bike is stopped. Is it rear only?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 02:53 PM   #53
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
For some reason I thought there was an option to have the suspension drop when the bike is stopped. Is it rear only?
I have that option on my bike and it is very good. On start up you can feel the suspension lower. Coming to a stop the suspension drops down and its imperceptible. But he seat also manual adjust to two separate heights.

It is still a largish tallish adventure bike, though very easy to ride on the street when you go off road it is 550+pound to hustle thru mud and logs and rocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 09:34 AM   #54
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I've had a few scooters. Closely involved with CRA and our team had the top rider and BIR record holder for quite a few years. He now designs and tunes suspension for Indian and their MotoAmerica bagger team.

1997 GSXR600
2005 GSXR750
2006 R6 (race bike)
2012 S1000RR
2015 S1000RR
2019 Grom
2018 Ducati 959 Panigale

All I currently have now is the Grom and the Duc. Just picked up the 959 a couple weeks ago and havent even had the chance to go over it yet.

Had a bad wreck on the race bike in 2017. Haven't raced since but still do trackdays.
Attached Images

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 4
Lady Jane80265.50
overcoil3106.50
coonz2439.00
Dino GT35063.50
      03-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #55
shoei
Banned
Rep

Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by armo View Post
Quote:

So? Did you make the decision to sell it or keep it?
Appreciate 0