New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #23
jetrep
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: G70/S2000/Z4C

Portions of my house and garage were constructed using metal(steel) studs. I hate it. I've mounted two TVs on them. I've also mounted some cabinets in the garage. Fortunately they're all still attached as intended. I bought some screws intended for use in thin sheetmetal at Lowes. I've since seen the suggestion of using toggles or other anchors through the studs. In the future I will try this approach.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrep View Post
Portions of my house and garage were constructed using metal(steel) studs. I hate it. I've mounted two TVs on them. I've also mounted some cabinets in the garage. Fortunately they're all still attached as intended. I bought some screws intended for use in thin sheetmetal at Lowes. I've since seen the suggestion of using toggles or other anchors through the studs. In the future I will try this approach.
Why do you hate them, aren't they supposed to be better constructed walls vs wood? I guess concrete is best. Is it because it's a bit more pita to hang heavy stuff on them, drilling the metal?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #25
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Why do you hate them, aren't they supposed to be better constructed walls vs wood? I guess concrete is best. Is it because it's a bit more pita to hang heavy stuff on them, drilling the metal?
The only benefit I know of is their fire rating, ability to build straight walls and rot/pest resistance. I would think wood framed walls are much stronger but I've been wrong before
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619119.00
      01-03-2022, 07:20 PM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Butterfly/Toggle plugs, the big metal ones will hold 50lbs each use 4 then you don't have to worry about hitting a stud. I've done it many times. In fact I've used them to hang much heavier things than a TV.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tools-Home-Imp...ode=9526281011
This is how my sailfish has stayed on my wall for 20+ years.
Murf99314089.50
      01-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #27
Murf993
Major
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
This is how my sailfish has stayed on my wall for 20+ years.

The thing I like about the toggle bolts is the flexibility, you aren't limited by stud location when you place the item you want to hang. If you can hit a stud then obviously a preference, but every TV I have hung I use at least 4 of these bolts and if I can get into a stud I'll do that too.

In my last place I hung my wine and whiskey shelves with toggles. The shelves were easily over 100lbs each when loaded and I didn't have a worry.

This shelf is almost 2" thick Red Oak with whiskey bottles on it. There is one toggle bolt in the flange, the rest of the screws are 1 1/2" wood screws into the wood panel on the wall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #28
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

The 1/4" 'Toggler' ones are the way to go, in the metal studs, not just anywhere in the drywall. Most TV mounts have a wide bracket with lots of holes, you will be able to hit 2 studs. A regular stud finder will find the metal studs.

Metal studs are being used more and more for non-load bearing walls. You don't end up with nail pops like you do with wood studs.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #29
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
PSA for anyone with a metal framed home, I use a magnet wrapped in a small bit of cloth to find the studs when I need.

Run the magnet across the gyprock and it will stick to the studs.
Even with timber a small set of tiny rare earths will work well, just slide them along to find the drywall fasteners, then you can use a straight edge to connect the dots.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #30
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
The only benefit I know of is their fire rating, ability to build straight walls and rot/pest resistance. I would think wood framed walls are much stronger but I've been wrong before
Materials are more expensive but actually easier to use onsite, so if doing bulk they can end up being cheaper.

But the main thing is they are basically rot resistant. With a good vapor barrier galvanized steel is going to be bulletproof. No such thing as termites, mice, roof rats, or rot compromising them. So often used in rougher environments. Also don't react the same to environmental changes as wood. Less settling/cracking, etc. Essentially they are better in almost every way but typically, for a home, are just not as cost effective. But for commercial applications where durability and flexibility justify the cost they are basically the norm.

Back when I was working construction (over 20 years ago) they were really rare in homes but when they were in homes they were really high end homes. Were just too expensive. And we (I wasn't a framer, commercial electrician) were more annoyed by them too because you needed special fasteners and whatnot (couldn't get by with staples and D-rings) but the end result was always a more precise product. The fasteners fit to pre-cut knock outs, etc. Just like comparing a commercial electrical box and EMT to just nailing romex/cat5 to a stud and popping it into the back of a fiberglass "new work" box or mud ring.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619119.00
      01-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
never can find my stud finder.

PSA for anyone with a metal framed home, I use a magnet wrapped in a small bit of cloth to find the studs when I need.

Run the magnet across the gyprock and it will stick to the studs.
Pst....

Vaughan - Magnetic Stud Finder/Level, Hand Tools, Levels, Plastic (050044) Blue, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WFXVXV...HJVDMBFCRAMG3Y
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Woohoo! For some strange reason I thought my studfinder only worked for wood ones but it detects metal ones too....are they all like that?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0