New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

New Invention How To's - Need Advice

I was wondering if any of you guys are entrepreneurs whom have invented your own products and:

1. Have applied or received patents
2. Had the product prototyped or manufactured in small batches
3. Have received seed capital as a result
4. Successfully marketed and or sold your product commercially

Thanks Y'all. I appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

What's your question? I've got a lot of experience with everything except #3--I'm not personally the inventor but I've spent god knows how much time at the patent attorney's office and quite a bit of time in China.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Your car at the track

I make a bunch of things over seas. I have the manufacturing down pat just need experts for bringing to retail
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Subscribed. Curious whether copyrighting a website/idea is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
What's your question? I've got a lot of experience with everything except #3--I'm not personally the inventor but I've spent god knows how much time at the patent attorney's office and quite a bit of time in China.
How would I go about getting something patented successfully? Does it really require a good patent attorney?

As far as your time in China, was that for manufacturing/production?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
I make a bunch of things over seas. I have the manufacturing down pat just need experts for bringing to retail
What type of manufacturing?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I was wondering if any of you guys are entrepreneurs whom have invented your own products and:

1. Have applied or received patents
2. Had the product prototyped or manufactured in small batches
3. Have received seed capital as a result
4. Successfully marketed and or sold your product commercially

Thanks Y'all. I appreciate your input.

I own a design agency and have developed products for large known companies... Recently decided to launch my own stuff. So Yes, to all of the above.... but there is no real road map.... Every product will have its own unique challenge so there is no blanket answer for success.

1. Make sure to use the best patent attorney you can find and afford. This is crucial if you dont want to get knocked off. Start with Provisional Patent... Then apply for the Utility patent when you have a better idea of where u want to go... But just keep in mind, its just a deterent... And can be very expensive. Just know that even Apple gets knocked off. IMO, The real defense is a strong offense... Meaning saturate the market and leave no room for knock offs..
even if you receive your patent like I did.

2. You will always need prototypes!!! I would recommend testing the market first... Kickstarter is a good platform. It will offer a good indication whether your product is viable.

3. IMO self fund as much as you can if dont want to give up equity. Having partners can be very challenging if you dont have enough control. But sometimes you have to do what you must. Just make sure you are strategic in this matter and your seed partners have more to offer than just $$$. Crowd funding sources like Kickstarter is a good starting point for seed money without giving up equity.

4. This is a tough one! Its a never ending battle but if you make the right moves, you will open the right doors... My product is now in 19countries. Over 1900 stores nationally including Sam's Club, Target, Walmart to name a few. I've just partnered with Disney as part of my offensive strategy to saturate the market even more.

Here's me on SharkTank (im the asian dude).

Good luck!

Appreciate 3
      04-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Your car at the track

I make carbon fiber car/crazy parts as well as injection mold plastics for household items and cnc metal parts

I want to launch a new motorcycle/car exhaust line but we all know that companies success it purely based on its marketing prowess.... Dispite what people call a "black art" or exhaust tuning and sound, it's easy to make something perform and sound great, manufacturing even for the crazy $$$ akra ti systems is cheap to make
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
I own a design agency and have developed products for large known companies... Recently decided to launch my own stuff. So Yes, to all of the above.... but there is no real road map.... Every product will have its own unique challenge so there is no blanket answer for success.

1. Make sure to use the best patent attorney you can find and afford. This is crucial if you dont want to get knocked off. Start with Provisional Patent... Then apply for the Utility patent when you have a better idea of where u want to go... But just keep in mind, its just a deterent... And can be very expensive. Just know that even Apple gets knocked off. IMO, The real defense is a strong offense... Meaning saturate the market and leave no room for knock offs..

2. You will always need prototypes!!! I would recommend testing the market first... Kickstarter is a good platform. It will offer a good indication whether your product is viable.

3. IMO self fund as much as you can if dont want to give up equity. Having partners can be very challenging if you dont have enough control. But sometimes you have to do what you must. Just make sure you are strategic in this matter and your seed partners have more to offer than just $$$. Crowd funding sources like Kickstarter is a good starting point for seed money without giving up equity.

4. This is a tough one! Its a never ending battle but if you make the right moves, you will open the right doors... My product is now in 19countries. Over 1900 stores nationally including Sam's Club, Target, Walmart to name a few. I've just partnered with Disney as part of my offensive strategy to saturate the market even more.

Good luck!

Thanks! Was this really you?

How did you find a prototype manufacturer? How long/much did you test the product before Shark Tank?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good luck!

Ahh that is sooo cool! I watched that episode of Shark Tank. When I read your post about owning a design agency it brought me back to that episode. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52
My product is now in 19countries. Over 1900 stores nationally including Sam's Club, Target, Walmart to name a few. I've just partnered with Disney as part of my offensive strategy to saturate the market even more.

Very cool. Congrats on your perseverance and success!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Between me with rubber manufacturing, Theyounconneoisseur with cf, and Alvin with designing, we could come up with a kick-ass product and go back to Shark Tank!!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #13
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks! Was this really you?

How did you find a prototype manufacturer? How long/much did you test the product before Shark Tank?
It was evil twin brother! Editing was viscious... Made me look like such an arrogant cocky douchebag. Lol!

We were almost a year into the business before we got on Shark Tank. A sourcing agent will be a good start to find manufacturers... Found ours at a tradeshow. Yes, we were already in Nordstrom and Amazon so we had proof of sales before entering the tank. Tested it on Kickstarter before we launched.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I make carbon fiber car/crazy parts as well as injection mold plastics for household items and cnc metal parts

I want to launch a new motorcycle/car exhaust line but we all know that companies success it purely based on its marketing prowess.... Dispite what people call a "black art" or exhaust tuning and sound, it's easy to make something perform and sound great, manufacturing even for the crazy $$$ akra ti systems is cheap to make
Do you have your own CAD design and CNC build equipment?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was evil twin brother! Editing was viscious... Made me look like such an arrogant cocky douchebag. Lol!

We were almost a year into the business before we got on Shark Tank. A sourcing agent will be a good start to find manufacturers... Found ours at a tradeshow. Yes, we were already in Nordstrom and Amazon so we had proof of sales before entering the tank. Tested it on Kickstarter before we launched.
That is incredibly awesome. And you started from scratch?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Very cool. Congrats on your perseverance and success!
Thanks. But success is sometimes a myth and a matter of perspective
Being an entreprenuer is not for the faint of heart... Its a constant challenge every day.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #17
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
That is incredibly awesome. And you started from scratch?
Yes... From scratch. If you really want to know the full back story you can check out our Kickstarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #18
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. But success is sometimes a myth and a matter of perspective
Being an entreprenuer is not for the faint of heart... Its a constant challenge every day.
I believe it. But so was working in IB 80-100 hours a week and eating shit sandwich every day. Eventually got to run my own team...then my world imploded.

Now I'm working in corporate. The pay is like my 2004-2005.

Was a business owner at one point but was too immature at the time.

Congratulations though. Your success is inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes... From scratch. If you really want to know the full back story you can check out our Kickstarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
I do and I thank you for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

^^ This!!

I completely agree that marketing and sales is key component. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Its all about execution from concept to finish.... And lets not forget $$$ the money to make it all happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #21
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Drives: a bicycle

Awesome thread! Will be checking this out...
Appreciate 1