New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-04-2024, 05:53 PM   #45
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
You have a legit truck with long bed. The vast majority of F150s on the road are short bed quad cab, basically glorified SUVs in that department.
Not everyone needs or wants a long bed and/or quad cab. It's still a truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 07:22 PM   #46
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Sad that people love boring cars
If you pull up lists of the best selling espresso machines, cameras, road bikes, guitars, etc... respective enthusiasts of each item will feel the same way.

I'll bet there is someone who'll look at your washing machine and laugh at the model you chose.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 01:40 PM   #47
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Sad that people love boring cars
It seems the masses in general like to sit high up rather than low in a car. That's clearly what started the SUV craze although I have never figured out why so many North American men need to drive pickup trucks in the city as their daily driver. So many of these massive fullsize 4x4 trucks in parking lots with empty beds that are rarely used and very few that actually have to tow stuff. So many times I've been a passenger in a truck where the driver has to go out of his way to try and fit in a busy parking lot and I wonder why you would want to put yourself through this all the time. Trucks and SUV's have killed cars (speaking of killed, not to mention 45% deadlier to pedestrians) and that's a shame but it is what it is as people want what they want whether they need it or not.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1244.00
      06-05-2024, 02:11 PM   #48
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It seems the masses in general like to sit high up rather than low in a car. That's clearly what started the SUV craze although I have never figured out why so many North American men need to drive pickup trucks in the city as their daily driver. So many of these massive fullsize 4x4 trucks in parking lots with empty beds that are rarely used and very few that actually have to tow stuff. So many times I've been a passenger in a truck where the driver has to go out of his way to try and fit in a busy parking lot and I wonder why you would want to put yourself through this all the time. Trucks and SUV's have killed cars (speaking of killed, not to mention 45% deadlier to pedestrians) and that's a shame but it is what it is as people want what they want whether they need it or not.
A big part of it is EPA regulations. CAFE and similar.mandates make small cars an unappealing option as they have to hit unattainable fuel economy goals. Light trucks on the other hand have much more attainable goals, and most crossovers and the like fit the requirements to be a light truck. So you end up in a situation where it's cheaper to build and sell the crossover than it is the same car as a hatchback (see how the USA gets the GLA from Mercedes but not the nearly identical A-class).

So not only is it what people want, but it's what is forced by regulation.
Appreciate 2
Mavus2240.00
Efthreeoh18884.00
      06-05-2024, 03:39 PM   #49
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Part of why my wife wanted the CX-5 was the sitting up higher nonsense.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 03:43 PM   #50
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
A big part of it is EPA regulations. CAFE and similar.mandates make small cars an unappealing option as they have to hit unattainable fuel economy goals. Light trucks on the other hand have much more attainable goals, and most crossovers and the like fit the requirements to be a light truck. So you end up in a situation where it's cheaper to build and sell the crossover than it is the same car as a hatchback (see how the USA gets the GLA from Mercedes but not the nearly identical A-class).

So not only is it what people want, but it's what is forced by regulation.
All in the name of power & greed behind the scenes with the puppet masters.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 04:11 PM   #51
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All in the name of power & greed behind the scenes with the puppet masters.
They have to save us mere taxpayers from ourselves. We need to fund them more momey so they can create more regulation to protect us from ourselves.

Personally I think we should abolish CAFE entirely, CARB as well. Tailpipe emissions should be frozen at a previous level, and if companies want to be cleaner than that as a marketing or image thing, good for them. Of not, they've been chasing tiny improvements in emissions , at the cost of longevity and reliability, for like 2 decades. We made big gains in emissions up until the 90s, slowed dramatically into the 00s, and has been effectively stagnant since then.

But if we did that, a lot of government employees wouldn't need their jobs and the children of donors wouldn't get key positions and sweet retirement plans.
Appreciate 3
Donatello.1244.00
Efthreeoh18884.00
      06-06-2024, 10:40 AM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
They have to save us mere taxpayers from ourselves. We need to fund them more momey so they can create more regulation to protect us from ourselves.

Personally I think we should abolish CAFE entirely, CARB as well. Tailpipe emissions should be frozen at a previous level, and if companies want to be cleaner than that as a marketing or image thing, good for them. Of not, they've been chasing tiny improvements in emissions , at the cost of longevity and reliability, for like 2 decades. We made big gains in emissions up until the 90s, slowed dramatically into the 00s, and has been effectively stagnant since then.

But if we did that, a lot of government employees wouldn't need their jobs and the children of donors wouldn't get key positions and sweet retirement plans.

Agree 100%. The goal of CARB since it's amalgamation in 1967 has been zero-emissions vehicles. The EV mandate is the realization of that goal.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 01:42 PM   #53
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Agree 100%. The goal of CARB since it's amalgamation in 1967 has been zero-emissions vehicles. The EV mandate is the realization of that goal.
Even if they magically eliminated all ICE cars over ight and we all got EVs and magically had enough everything to go along with it.... They'd find something new to regulate. Mark my words, they will one day regulate the amount of energy that EVs are allowed to use in the name of the environment.
Appreciate 2
Donatello.1244.00
Efthreeoh18884.00
      06-06-2024, 02:11 PM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even if they magically eliminated all ICE cars over ight and we all got EVs and magically had enough everything to go along with it.... They'd find something new to regulate. Mark my words, they will one day regulate the amount of energy that EVs are allowed to use in the name of the environment.
I wonder if CARB believes the (geological) science the Earth has been absent of Polar ice caps 3 times in its history.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 04:10 PM   #55
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

I think anyone in favor of this should have their exhaust routed into their cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 04:11 PM   #56
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I wonder if CARB believes the (geological) science the Earth has been absent of Polar ice caps 3 times in its history.
Is climate change about long term temp change?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 09:02 PM   #57
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
No, it’s about money, power and control.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh18884.00
Germanauto9832.00
      06-08-2024, 06:17 AM   #58
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Animals adapt to the climate. The climate doesn't adapt to animals.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 06:30 AM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It's interesting to hear that so many current BMW owners of relatively new models have had or currently have F150s and how many of those owners loved those trucks. The F150s, even the 2024s, are a huge difference when it comes to quality control and general feel of materials. I constantly go back and forth with myself about if I could handle owning an F150 after drinking the German car koolaid for so long I went and looked at new F150s yesterday and was a bit surprised by how bad the exterior panel fitment was on the trucks. You'd think with how many they sell, they could address that. I probably wouldn't be too upset as I'm looking to order a bare bones V8 2WD single cab XL for mid $30s, but I'd be pissed if I was spending $50-70K which is what most of those trucks are listed at.....which is bonkers.
Comparing panel gaps of a body-on-frame vehicle to a unibody vehicle is a bad practice. There are different engineering principles at work.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 07:17 AM   #60
Llarry
Curently BMWless
Rep

Drives: 2025 M850ix ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Not everyone needs or wants a long bed and/or quad cab. It's still a truck.
I traditionally felt that only a single cab long bed made sense -- sort of the purist "work truck" philosophy. So here I am with a four-door short bed medium-sized Honda Ridgeline. But it makes sense to me for my use case.
Efthreeoh18884.00
Donatello.1244.00
      06-08-2024, 07:28 AM   #61
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I traditionally felt that only a single cab long bed made sense -- sort of the purist "work truck" philosophy. So here I am with a four-door short bed medium-sized Honda Ridgeline. But it makes sense to me for my use case.
Other than the 1st-gen Ridgeline being butt-ugly, I think it is a great truck design. For what most of the market really needs, it fits well within most people's use cases. The 2nd-gen is much nicer to look at and with the faux bed panel gap, it gives it a bit more truck cred. There is no reason not to consider the Ridgeline for truck duty IMO.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Llarry21006.50
kyriian955.00
      06-08-2024, 07:35 AM   #62
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Universal truth; "Chics dig the SUV."
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Llarry21006.50
      06-08-2024, 12:50 PM   #63
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The NPC mobiles..
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2024, 09:46 AM   #64
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Why do they put up with it?

When you need the bed, it's there.
Have acreage, garden, flower beds and haul lots of messy stuff? Throw it in the bed.
Pull a trailer of any description up to GVWR.
Like to take driving trips? Nothing and I mean nothing devours miles in comfort like a full-size crew cab pickup.
So, you put up with tight parking so you have the bed when you want it or need it.
If you live on a farm, acreage, or even small town then yes a truck makes sense. It's the people living in the concrete jungle using them as city commuters that's a little puzzling to me.
Appreciate 1
Ugly Kar511.00
      06-10-2024, 10:07 AM   #65
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
If you live on a farm, acreage, or even small town then yes a truck makes sense. It's the people living in the concrete jungle using them as city commuters that's a little puzzling to me.
A lot of people are compensating for something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 04:09 PM   #66
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
Quote:
My wife feels the same way. So we also have a CX-5.