New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #67
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Ten day forecast for Chicago and Grand Rapids. Quite a bit cooler than Cali or Nevada. 😀
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-29-2024, 01:46 PM   #68
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I forgot to mention one thing. You’ve basically already been told this. Michigan has harsher winters than Illinois and Chicago. I have always heard about lake effect snow and when I moved to Chicago I was expecting it. Especially because I live literally three streets off of Lake Michigan. I was surprised to learn Chicago doesn’t get a lot of lake effect snow, because of something I had never thought about. The winds generally blow west to east, so it’s Michigan that gets hit pretty hard by lake effect snow. In the city of Chicago, particularly very close to the lake like I am, Lake Michigan actually moderates the temperatures. In the winter the lake keeps the temperature up and in the summer it keeps the temperature down. When they give the forecast on the news they say, “the high temperature will be ## degrees, except by the lake it will be 5 - 10 degrees warmer/cooler.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Lake effect snow in the lower peninsula occurs mainly within 30 miles from the shore of Lake Michigan. Further inland beyond 30 miles, lake effect quickly drops to nothing.
So the lake really affects the weather patterns that much?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 01:46 PM   #69
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Always, but most commonly in low light (early morning, late evening) and darkness (night).
Don't forget about the rut every year. Those horny monsters go crazy when their hormones start flowing.....
      06-29-2024, 01:47 PM   #70
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Ten day forecast for Chicago and Grand Rapids. Quite a bit cooler than Cali or Nevada. 😀
Hahaha! See, those are ideal temps right there. This uniform and vest feels like a soggy diaper right about now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 02:13 PM   #71
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
A question just for context. Have you ever seen Lake Michigan in person? Obviously it’s not the Pacific or the Atlantic, but for all intents and purposes it is actually a small ocean. In terms of thinking about lakes its size is kind of beyond comprehension. I guess you could call it one of the Grand Canyons of lakes. I have to acknowledge Lake Superior is actually larger. Anyway, it actually creates its own weather systems.

You probably aren’t aware of this. Chicago actually has 28 beaches along the shores of the lake. The first two are North Avenue beach. The second two are Oak Street beach at the north end of Michigan Avenue. And this is what they look like right this minute!!
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-29-2024 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      06-29-2024, 02:56 PM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
A question just for context. Have you ever seen Lake Michigan in person? Obviously it’s not the Pacific or the Atlantic, but for all intents and purposes it is actually a small ocean. In terms of thinking about lakes its size is kind of beyond comprehension. I guess you could call it one of the Grand Canyons of lakes. I have to acknowledge Lake Superior is actually larger. Anyway, it actually creates its own weather systems.

You probably aren’t aware of this. Chicago actually has 28 beaches along the shores of the lake. The first two are North Avenue beach. The second two are Oak Street beach at the north end of Michigan Avenue. And this is what they look like right this minute!!

That is mega nuts! I have yet to see Lake Michigan or Superior in person. I plan to check it out in October; my August visit will be short and dominated by wedding festivities. Those images you posted are just crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 02:56 PM   #73
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, this was my old stomping grounds as a kid. The stadium where the Buffalo Bills play is located a mile or so from the east shore of Lake Erie, in the heart of the lake effect snow belts south of Buffalo. I lived a few blocks away from the stadium, and seeing four FEET of snow falling overnight was not unusual every few winters.

Western Michigan near the lake would probably not see quite this much snow, because the wind from the west has less lake to pick up water from versus Buffalo and Lake Erie. Until the lakes freeze completely over around the middle of January, the above can happen at any time.

You may want to investigate snowmobile racing if you plan to be downwind of any great lakes.....
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      06-29-2024, 03:07 PM   #74
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
Teach me the ways to discern when and where they are active.
Early morning and sunset are the prime times to see them. In the fall rut when they are mating, the males come around and they are all crazy. In the spring when the fawns are born, they will stumble across roads.

They follow established trails and you can usually tell a low spot in a fence, gap in a hedge, etc are places where they cross roads. I think they are going from safe bedding areas to feeding areas to water and back. If you see them in one area, you’ll likely see them in that area repeatedly, so it will be a good place to slow down and keep eyes open. Moose and elk summer high on the mountains but come down low for winter typically; I don’t think deer move much.

Find a local hunter; they’ll know everything about them in the area.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      06-29-2024, 03:16 PM   #75
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Early morning and sunset are the prime times to see them. In the fall rut when they are mating, the males come around and they are all crazy. In the spring when the fawns are born, they will stumble across roads.

They follow established trails and you can usually tell a low spot in a fence, gap in a hedge, etc are places where they cross roads. I think they are going from safe bedding areas to feeding areas to water and back. If you see them in one area, you’ll likely see them in that area repeatedly, so it will be a good place to slow down and keep eyes open. Moose and elk summer high on the mountains but come down low for winter typically; I don’t think deer move much.

Find a local hunter; they’ll know everything about them in the area.
I’ll be looking for these signs when I go in August. Super helpful information. The one thing I noticed as I drove through the Township is how dimly lit those roadways are at night.

It’s crazy to see that stadium filled with snow vreihen16. I better trade the Duc in for an Italian snowmobile. lol!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50
2000cs3755.50
      07-20-2024, 01:47 AM   #76
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Who would you guys recommend for a cross country move (…for both furniture and my 992/Panigale)? I can’t recall which company I used to transport/ship my 2017 ///M4 to New York back when I sold it on the forum in 2021. I just want to start doing the research so I’m better prepared when that time comes.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-20-2024, 05:50 AM   #77
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I have used North American Van Lines successfully. Nearly no "moving company" owns equipment (truck and trailer) or employs drivers.

Owner-operator means the truck driver owns the truck, and often the trailer. Owner-operators are contractors to the "moving company". A truck and a trailer with a big "moving company" logo on it does not mean the truck driver does not own the asset (equipment). This is entirely normal and of no concern.

"Moving companies" are marketing and booking/reservation entities. They interact with the customer (you) and arrange driver, equipment, insurance, permits, etc.

Allied Van Lines is another well known company. Get 4 quotes. Can't really go wrong if you use a well-known name.

If Allied or North American don't satisfy you with a solution for the Porsche and Ducati, get quotes from Montway or Reliable. Both are well-established vehicle transport companies. I used Montway to ship my Cayenne from NorCal 2,400 miles eastward with full satisfaction.

Your local Porsche and Ducati dealers can make transport company recommendations. They do this all the time.

https://quotes.northamerican.com/
https://quotes.allied.com/
https://www.montway.com/
https://www.reliablecarriers.com/

Last edited by chassis; 07-21-2024 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
Llarry20257.00
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      07-20-2024, 06:36 AM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I have used North American Van Lines successfully. Nearly no "moving company" owns equipment (truck and trailer) or employs drivers.

Owner-operator means the truck driver owns the truck, and often the trailer. Owner-operators are contractors to the "moving company". A truck and a trailer with a big "moving company" logo on it does not mean the truck driver does not own the asset (equipment). This is entirely normal and of no concern.

"Moving companies" are marketing and booking/reservation entities. They interact with the customer (you) and arrange driver, equipment, insurance, permits, etc.

Allied Van Lines is another well known company. Get 4 quotes. Can't really go wrong if you use a well-known name.

If Allied or North American don't satisfy you with a solution for the Porsche and Ducati, get quotes from Montway or Reliable. Both are well-established vehicle transport companies. I shipped my Cayenne from NorCal 2,400 miles eastward with full satisfaction.

Your local Porsche and Ducati dealers can make transport company recommendations. They do this all the time.

https://quotes.northamerican.com/
https://quotes.allied.com/
https://www.montway.com/
https://www.reliablecarriers.com/
Super helpful, clutch information. Thanks bro! I would definitely want an enclosed shipping solution for the car/bike, and one that can deal with a lowered vehicle.
Appreciate 1
chassis7560.50
      07-20-2024, 09:19 AM   #79
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
We’ve used Allied Van Lines to pack, move, unpack, auto ship, etc. Turnkey options that can do it all. I know numerous colleagues that have done the same without a complaint out of the lot.

Curious how the “commute” works that you mention. Do you have a place where you work? Do you stay in a hotel for a week, then go home?
Appreciate 2
chassis7560.50
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      07-20-2024, 02:31 PM   #80
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
We’ve used Allied Van Lines to pack, move, unpack, auto ship, etc. Turnkey options that can do it all. I know numerous colleagues that have done the same without a complaint out of the lot.

Curious how the “commute” works that you mention. Do you have a place where you work? Do you stay in a hotel for a week, then go home?
Another pro for Allied. Thanks bro!

As for my commute…..

….I currently work a four day, 10-hour a day work week. I commute into California every Wednesday morning and commute back to Nevada Saturday night or early Sunday morning. I have a plethora of options considering just about everybody I am close to still resides in California. I most often stay at the sheriff station in our bunk room (…think, like firefighters sleeping in their sleeping quarters at the firehouse). If I don’t feel like staying at the station, I’ll stay with friends or I have the option of staying with my mom, sisters, etc. The vast majority of the time I stay at the station because I stack a bunch of overtime shifts during those four days; I work 2pm until 6am for four days in a row. My normal work hours are 2pm until midnight, and the overtime is from midnight until 6am. Considering that, it’s much easier to just stay at the station because I’ll get much more sleep between shifts.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50