E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight/Xenon experts please read......

02-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Headlight/Xenon experts please read......

Installed the BMS Arc angel eye upgrades last week. Install was quick and easy and I was very pleased with the results for the low price of only 25.00 bucks.

After the install, I went to the car wash and cleaned up the ride. 20 seconds after I pull out of the car wash I get the adaptive headlight fault signal in the cluster. I thought that was a little wierd. About a couple minutes later I got a low beam headlight fault signal in the cluster.

Got the car home a few minutes later and tried to trouble shoot the problem. I checked all the connections inside the passenger housing to look for any connections that I may have knocked loose during the install, found nothing loose. I switched the AE H8's from the driver side to the passenger side, no change. I switched the Xenon bulbs from the driver side to the passenger side, no change. The driver side still worked and the passenger would only turn on the AE's.

I spoke to one of my local german buddies that has a friend who works at a BMW dealership. His friend told him that my problem was the ballast control must have shorted when I was washing my car possibly because I didnt seal the back of the passenger headlight cover. I thought to myself that that could have happened so I ordered a ballast from Ebay and had it shipped express.

I received the ballast 3 days later and tried installing it today when I got home from work. After removing the original ballast from the passenger headlight, I installed the new one. I put the key in the ignition and hit the start button, no change. The drivers side light functions as it should but the passenger side only turns the AE's on. I really wasn't surprised because when things happen like this they just never get fixed the way they should.

I then started thinking that I may have received a bad ballast from ebay. I then removed the drivers side ballast and installed the drivers side ballast in the passenger side and installed the one I received from ebay in to the drivers side. Key in the ignition, hit the start button. None of the lights turn on with this configuratuon. I was pretty confused at this point so I decided I would put the original drivers side ballast back in to the drivers side headlight so I would still have at least one functioning headlight. I installed everything back the way is was before I started the install today and checked to confirm the drivers side was still working. Second surprise, AE's work properly but now BOTH of my headlights dont come on.

I uninstalled both ballast to inspect them. I noticed on inside of the of both of the ballasts where they slide in and connect to the headlight housing there is a black mark where it looks like something shorted. I am guessing that there is something that is causing my passenger side headlight to short out the ballast on that side.

I have NO idea what to due at this point. If I go to BMW to have them look at it, I know they will either try and charge me the price for a complete new headlight or tell me that I need new bulbs and a ballast which I know is not the problem.

Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to be as detailed as possible to get a clear answer if there is one.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
The_DDub
Mmmm torque
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss, hard and fast

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Your footwell module may be fubar and need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DDub View Post
Your footwell module may be fubar and need to be replaced.
Could you please provide some insight on where and how to replace to footwell module. Does the footwell module also apply to the 1 series. All the results I saw on the module applied to the e9x guys. Any way to tell if the module is bad also???

-Nick

Last edited by e46m3to335i; 02-26-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
The_DDub
Mmmm torque
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss, hard and fast

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Could you please provide some insight on where and how to replace to footwell module. Does the footwell module also apply to the 1 series. All the results I saw on the module applied to the e9x guys. Any way to tell if the module is bad also???

-Nick
Head over to www.realoem.com and plug in your vehicle info to find it. I found the footwell module under Vehicle electrical system => control units, modules, sensors, relays
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Bump it up for other opinions.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:41 PM   #6
exoray