New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-19-2024, 09:32 AM   #287
FrankMstein
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, F56

Gas prices are SUCH a racket. My wife drives a cooper s and thankfully asks if it's ok to buy this or that fuel. I have pounded it into her head that crap fuel is bad. BTW BP is now not on the TT list for about a year.
DanG11361.00
      Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #288
SnowCover
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

there are two Shell stations near me, both owned by the same owner. it makes me kind of nervous because they almost always have the cheapest premium gas in town. (Costco is actually cheaper by another 10 cents per gallon, but that required membership)

my question is: are all Shell gas station selling the same Shell premium gasoline?
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:41 AM   #289
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The big name brands are better about standardization and maintaining the quality of their franchisees, but nothing is guaranteed. Buy some and send a sample out for testing if you have legitimate enough concerns to warrant the investment. Assuming you are wrong, the savings by using the station once you are confident should pay for the testing after about 1000 gallons.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:50 PM   #290
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Gas in virtually every area of the country gets to the local tank farm (where tank trailers load) by pipeline or ship. It comes in at a standard grade, brand additives are injected by specific oil companies brand, often as the tank trailer is loaded. Shell 93 octane base gas is the same as everyone else's 93 base gas, Shell additives are different than BP's. Never seen someone prove one is better than the other but Shell's marketing has most believing for some reason it is better.

"Top Tier" is an independent certification company. If the brand pays them AND their gasoline meets "Top Tier's" requirements they can call themselves "Top Tier". If another company decides to not pay Top Tier, it doesn't necessarily mean their gas/additives are any better or worse than the certified bunch. I also have never seen someone prove that after some point that more cleaning additives are needed.

When you go to an independent, non branded station you could be getting Shell/BP, or whatever else that happens to be cheapest that day. Base gasoline is the same for all.

I've worked in the petroleum transportation industry for over 30 years.

Last edited by David70; Today at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:34 PM   #291
FrankMstein
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Gas in virtually every area of the country gets to the local tank farm (where tank trailers load) by pipeline. It comes in at a standard grade, brand additives are injected by specific oil companies brand, often as the tank trailer is loaded. Shell 93 octane base gas is the same as everyone else's 93 base gas, Shell additives are different than BP's. Never seen someone prove one is better than the other but Shell's marketing has most believing for some reason it is better.

"Top Tier" is an independent certification company. If the brand pays them AND their gasoline meets "Top Tier's" requirements they can call themselves "Top Tier". If another company decides to not pay Top Tier, it doesn't necessarily mean their gas/additives are any better or worse than the certified bunch. I also have never seen someone prove that after some point that more cleaning additives are needed.

When you go to an independent, non branded station you could be getting Shell/BP, or whatever else that happens to be cheapest that day. Base gasoline is the same for all.

I've worked in the petroleum transportation industry for over 30 years.
toptiergas.com
      Today, 01:41 PM   #292
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
toptiergas.com
And?
      Today, 01:47 PM   #293
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I prefered chevron when I had a high mileage Sulev as the Techron kept the unreplaceable fuel gauge sender mostly working. Other than that, what @David70 said is correct, gas is gas and all comes from the exact same place…the difference is the additives each company puts in.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
David701709.50
      Today, 01:57 PM   #294
David70
Colonel
Rep

Name:  pipeline.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  272.3 KB

There are 229,888 miles of U.S. oil, refined products, CO2, and natural gas liquids pipelines. This includes over 80,000 miles of crude oil pipelines, over 70,000 natural gas liquids pipeline miles, over 62,000 miles of petroleum products pipeline, and 5,300 miles of CO2 pipeline.

They aren't separating it by brand.
      Today, 02:50 PM   #295
FrankMstein
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And?
Did you go there?
      Today, 02:53 PM   #296
FrankMstein
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Attachment 3570911

There are 229,888 miles of U.S. oil, refined products, CO2, and natural gas liquids pipelines. This includes over 80,000 miles of crude oil pipelines, over 70,000 natural gas liquids pipeline miles, over 62,000 miles of petroleum products pipeline, and 5,300 miles of CO2 pipeline.

They aren't separating it by brand.
What comes out of the pump at the local fuel station brand "A" is not the same as the other brand "B". But you knew that. Going to the refinery it is. You knew that too.
      Today, 03:09 PM   #297
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did you go there?
Yes. Seems like you want to find something but not enough to just tell me?
      Today, 03:19 PM   #298
GOFAST M3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
there are two Shell stations near me, both owned by the same owner. it makes me kind of nervous because they almost always have the cheapest premium gas in town. (Costco is actually cheaper by another 10 cents per gallon, but that required membership)

my question is: are all Shell gas station selling the same Shell premium gasoline?
Shell Branded stations are contractually obligated to only sell fuel that has been additized with Shell's proprietary additive.

These things are tracked and monitored from the start to the end point at the stations to ensure the most efficient operational tolerances as possible, as is also contractual through the supply chain.

It would be difficult, and not financially worth the risk, to try and skirt their contractual obligations and sell 'unbranded' fuel as 'Shell' fuel, but the chances aren't zero.

I will say, as long as you are buying Premium Branded fuel from Shell, Chevron, or Exxon, you will be satisfying BMWs intention when recommending Shell gas. The branded additives are superior to the standard additives that go in to unbranded fuel.

Chevron has always given me the best mileage, but whichever of the 3 is cheapest/convenient is fine.
      Today, 03:33 PM   #299
GOFAST M3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Did you go there?
Quote:
What comes out of the pump at the local fuel station brand "A" is not the same as the other brand "B". But you knew that. Going to the refinery it is. You knew that too.
Top Tier fits nicely in between unbranded and any of the three Major Brands.

Better than the base unbranded for sure, but I am not sure what it sells for at the pump compared to a local Shell, Chevron etc, so I am not really sure if it's worth it.
      Today, 04:17 PM   #300
SnowCover
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOFAST M3 View Post
Shell Branded stations are contractually obligated to only sell fuel that has been additized with Shell's proprietary additive.

These things are tracked and monitored from the start to the end point at the stations to ensure the most efficient operational tolerances as possible, as is also contractual through the supply chain.

It would be difficult, and not financially worth the risk, to try and skirt their contractual obligations and sell 'unbranded' fuel as 'Shell' fuel, but the chances aren't zero.

I will say, as long as you are buying Premium Branded fuel from Shell, Chevron, or Exxon, you will be satisfying BMWs intention when recommending Shell gas. The branded additives are superior to the standard additives that go in to unbranded fuel.

Chevron has always given me the best mileage, but whichever of the 3 is cheapest/convenient is fine.

Thanks! What about those small dark blue bottles of gas additive that BMW sells at BMW parts departments? Are they even worth it? Or am I better off just buying Techron from Chevron?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:58 PM   #301
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I’m just happy getting 93 octane at Sam’s Club for $2.89 yesterday. 👍
Appreciate 0