New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-27-2024, 04:54 PM   #23
LuisBoston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [9.36]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Then when everyone is forced to drive electric, what could possibly happen to the price of electricity?
Put up more solar panels. Wind turbines. Geothermal plants. Battery storage. Tidal power.

There are power solutions, and we know what happens the more fossil fuels are burned.

“But, but, but”

Excuses are tiring.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 1
Canuck335154.00
      05-27-2024, 05:17 PM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
Put up more solar panels. Wind turbines. Geothermal plants. Battery storage. Tidal power.

There are power solutions, and we know what happens the more fossil fuels are burned.

“But, but, but”

Excuses are tiring.
I realize most of us here are probably above the median salary but installing enough solar panels or other alternative power sources is simply not affordable. I love to get off the grid but don’t want to spend retirement savings to do so.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 05:23 PM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

“But, but, but”

Excuses are tiring.
Why not nuclear? Clean, efficient, reliable, steady-state power.

Excuses are indeed tiring.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4905.50
Mavus2167.00
      05-27-2024, 06:04 PM   #26
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

A highly viable energy source. Not joking. Agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 07:14 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Of all the major auto publications, Motortrend has been sucking off EVs harder than any of them. They've clearly had a strong financial incentive to be doing this.

The market is speaking, EVs work for a minority of consumers but are not the end-all-be-all solution for everyone. They will continue to grow in marketshare but more slowly. Hybrids and PHEVs are the more pragmatic solution for now.

ICE should always be permitted to live on in some capacity. EVs just aren't it for sports car enthusiasts, long distance travelers, people who need to tow things, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 07:20 PM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Usually people fail to understand just how much equipment is contaminated, how radiation affects it, how it needs inspections and replacing, how it has to be stored safely after use, not to mention the insane level of regulation and oversight necessary. They just tend to think the only negative byproduct is spent fuel…which is just one of the radioactive byproducts. The overhead is enormous. My brother is a nuclear engineer. Yes, it is the best/only solution in some places…but there are good reasons why its not in others. It often costs way above other fuel sources when all is said and done.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 08:05 PM   #29
lakefront
Captain
Rep

Drives: Whatever's in the garage

Quote:

“But, but, but”

Excuses are tiring.
Doesn't matter WHERE the electricity comes from. If you don't have a choice to power your vehicles, appliances, etc you will have to pay whatever is the going rate. And to think that just making more solat panels, turbines, and such is going to replace or make up for fossil fuel generation is just silly.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 09:40 PM   #30
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Commerical air travel is what is and going to perpetuate the need for "fossil" fuels. Inexpensive gasoline will be a byproduct of it. To make gasoline expensive to drive the relative cost of EV ownership downwards, Governments are going to tax the everlivingshit out of gasoline and diesel. Read that as Governments are going to drastically increase the cost of driving an ICEV.
They already do. Look at places like California and Europe. Those fools are taxed into oblivion on fuel and do nothing about it. They keep voting for people who just tax them more.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 10:36 PM   #31
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
They already do. Look at places like California and Europe. Those fools are taxed into oblivion on fuel and do nothing about it. They keep voting for people who just tax them more.
California and Europe are doing just fine, thanks for your concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 11:24 PM   #32
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
California and Europe are doing just fine, thanks for your concern.
I laughed so hard. Thanks for that.
      05-27-2024, 11:40 PM   #33
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's always funny to see people try and knock CA for taxes when they don't realize the mechanisms in place in their own states to generate the same revenue.
      05-28-2024, 07:46 AM   #34
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
It's always funny to see people try and knock CA for taxes when they don't realize the mechanisms in place in their own states to generate the same revenue.
It's always funny to me when people try to act like CA isn't a giant dumpster fire in the major metro areas with the surrounding countryside deeply unrepresented in their state's government, while lower and what's left of their middle class are crushed by a government that cares only about the wishes of the elites and appearances.

Florida has lower sales tax and lower gas taxes than CA. We do have property tax that's 0.2% higher, but because our housing prices aren't as astronomical as CA, we are still paying less.

The revenue generation isn't the issue, it's the government attempting to force you to buy something they're going to make money off by imposing financial hardships on people who are already stretched so thin. The gas taxes just burden the lower and middle class in an exceptionally regressive way. If you're rich, you likely live closer to work or telecommute or can afford a new EV, so those taxes don't affect you at all. If you're just getting by driving an old used car or truck, you're carrying the full weight of that initiative.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 07:58 AM   #35
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
“But, but, but”
Excuses are tiring.
Do you even have any idea how many products you use and need in your daily life are fossil fuel derivatives?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #36
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's always funny to me when people try to act like CA isn't a giant dumpster fire in the major metro areas with the surrounding countryside deeply unrepresented in their state's government, while lower and what's left of their middle class are crushed by a government that cares only about the wishes of the elites and appearances.

Florida has lower sales tax and lower gas taxes than CA. We do have property tax that's 0.2% higher, but because our housing prices aren't as astronomical as CA, we are still paying less.

The revenue generation isn't the issue, it's the government attempting to force you to buy something they're going to make money off by imposing financial hardships on people who are already stretched so thin. The gas taxes just burden the lower and middle class in an exceptionally regressive way. If you're rich, you likely live closer to work or telecommute or can afford a new EV, so those taxes don't affect you at all. If you're just getting by driving an old used car or truck, you're carrying the full weight of that initiative.
That's a flat alligator-infested swamp though. CA has mountains AND beaches.
      05-28-2024, 09:45 AM   #37
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's a flat alligator-infested swamp though. CA has mountains AND beaches.
Yeah, but our beaches are better. CA beaches are ice cold Pacific water. Nobody wants that. Mountains, meh, you can keep them. They were nice in NC when I lived there, but I don't need them. Can go visit them if I wanted to. I'll gladly not have mountains and have a government that's functional and not all up in my business while also making life harder for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 07:00 AM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Usually people fail to understand just how much equipment is contaminated, how radiation affects it, how it needs inspections and replacing, how it has to be stored safely after use, not to mention the insane level of regulation and oversight necessary. They just tend to think the only negative byproduct is spent fuel…which is just one of the radioactive byproducts. The overhead is enormous. My brother is a nuclear engineer. Yes, it is the best/only solution in some places…but there are good reasons why its not in others. It often costs way above other fuel sources when all is said and done.
Does your brother speak for the entire energy industry? I'm not sure what knowing your brother is a nuclear engineer has to do with the discussion. But all forms of energy production have side effects, the question is do the benefits outweigh the side effects. I think nuclear energy has proven it does, despite now what the internet says about it.

Regardless, powering an EV drivetrain with a battery is antiquated technique.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 10:10 AM   #39
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Does your brother speak for the entire energy industry? I'm not sure what knowing your brother is a nuclear engineer has to do with the discussion. But all forms of energy production have side effects, the question is do the benefits outweigh the side effects. I think nuclear energy has proven it does, despite now what the internet says about it.

Regardless, powering an EV drivetrain with a battery is antiquated technique.
Nuclear energy has proven it often costs more for the same amount of energy produced as compared to other sources. So it really just depends. Is it worth it to pay a lot more for it? Maybe. It's not "clean" just because you don't see all the piping, water and infrastructure that has to be taken out of service and stored due to radiation hazard, but like I said, in certain areas/regions, it may be the best source when everything else is taken into account. It's not some magic trick or no-brainer solution...except for those with no brain that don't really consider what it actually takes to put it in place and run it. As a nuclear engineer, my brother has a pretty good idea of the infrastructure required and how it compares to other energy sources.
      05-29-2024, 10:12 AM   #40
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, but our beaches are better. CA beaches are ice cold Pacific water. Nobody wants that. Mountains, meh, you can keep them. They were nice in NC when I lived there, but I don't need them. Can go visit them if I wanted to. I'll gladly not have mountains and have a government that's functional and not all up in my business while also making life harder for me.
Those ain't mountains...
      05-29-2024, 10:47 AM   #41
2heeldrive
Private
Rep

Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

We had a Chevy Volt for eight years. Bought it new in 2014. Loved the car. Nice driver and not a single trip to the dealer. The range was perfect for the wife's commute, so it ran mostly electric.

Then, one day it failed to start. Dealer wanted to replace the battery, a $20,000. repair. Um, no. I took the time to diagnose the problem, OMG it was incredibly complex, I felt like I had earned another college degree by the time it was finally fixed. I ended up putting a salvage yard battery in it for $2500. And then promptly traded it for a 330ix. No more hybrids or EV's for us. I'm not a fan of the "mild hybrid" BMW system either.

A hybrid vehicle? Hell No!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 10:53 AM   #42
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

It is interesting that the Porsche 911 hybrid is only 100 pounds heavier versus the 1000 pounds of avoirdupois the upcoming M5 hybrid gains.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 12:58 PM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nuclear energy has proven it often costs more for the same amount of energy produced as compared to other sources. So it really just depends. Is it worth it to pay a lot more for it? Maybe. It's not "clean" just because you don't see all the piping, water and infrastructure that has to be taken out of service and stored due to radiation hazard, but like I said, in certain areas/regions, it may be the best source when everything else is taken into account. It's not some magic trick or no-brainer solution...except for those with no brain that don't really consider what it actually takes to put it in place and run it. As a nuclear engineer, my brother has a pretty good idea of the infrastructure required and how it compares to other energy sources.
It's clean with respect to theorized anthropogenic globalwarmingclimatechange due to the comparatively minimal emissions of greenhouse gases. All forms of energy have contamination. The nuclear waste storage solution is solvable (a lot easier than trying to develop mechanisims to manipulate the climate). The storage solutions unfortunately became political (Sen. Harry Reid).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 03:07 PM   #44
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

terrible battery degradation rendering car pretty much gas only

https://fb.watch/sJH7RfrTH0/
Appreciate 0