New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Today, 09:42 PM   #529
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 24 6MT M2, 25 X5 M60, 24 Truk

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
Max has been doing it since 2021 and it's become a rule now. whoever is ahead at the apex gets the corner. it doesn't care how you get to the apex. i'm not sure that he can't make the corner. he sure can if he wanted to. but he refused to turn so that he is ahead at the apex, and Lando goes off track and then it becomes illegal to pass.

as I said, the only way to pass Max is on the inside, and then you still have to do the refusing to turn business.
I don’t know how you prove or disprove he could’ve made the corner. I suspect that’s why Lando didn’t move that far left or think Max or anyone was going to do that. The angle and speed he came in there doesn’t look good for making the corner within track limits. I really don’t think he wanted to go that far off track as he knew the Ferraris were ready to pounce as LEC did.

FWIW, I do agree Lando should’ve given the spot back right away and tried to pass him again. Lando is not an idiot though and he knows at this stage Max is willing to take a DNF if he takes Lando with him so he tried to outrun the 5 second penalty that everyone knew was coming.

If you can truly dive bomb like that in the first corner with no repercussions as long as you get to the apex first……….they are going to get a lot more interesting.

Last edited by minn19; Today at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:01 PM   #530
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M550i; retired - M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
If you can truly dive bomb like that in the first corner with no repercussions as long as you get to the apex first……….they are going to get a lot more interesting.
if you dive bomb into the corner you are supposed to make the turn within track limits. if you succeed, you're a hero. if you have track limit violation after dive bomb move, stewards will look at it and decide.

the problem is getting on the inside of the guy ahead. they are always going to want to cover the inside.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:03 PM   #531
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M550i; retired - M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I don’t know how you prove or disprove he could’ve made the corner.
by watching a lot of racing.

watch something with lots of overtaking and you'll see how overtakes are made, how to prevent an overtake, etc.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:22 PM   #532
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
by watching a lot of racing.

watch something with lots of overtaking and you'll see how overtakes are made, how to prevent an overtake, etc.
Been watching “a lot of racing” since the mid 80s. Also not the biggest track rat in the world, but have a hundreds of my own laps in various cars etc. Obviously nowhere near a pro level. But I definitely understand corner entrance/exit etc.

Kind of an odd response, you could’ve just said you don’t really know either. That corner is obviously a very hard angle to the left. His line to the apex at that speed was definitely going to put him off the racing line. Not sure if he had enough brakes to stay on track. I feel like if could’ve he would’ve. He already had Lando off and apparently couldn't legally pass. So why not try and protect from LEC and almost SAI overtakes?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:24 PM   #533
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
if you dive bomb into the corner you are supposed to make the turn within track limits. if you succeed, you're a hero. if you have track limit violation after dive bomb move, stewards will look at it and decide.

the problem is getting on the inside of the guy ahead. they are always going to want to cover the inside.
So you do think the steward’s should’ve looked at it?
Appreciate 0