New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

Today, 11:50 AM   #1
MarcoF90
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: Acura TLX Type-S, BMW 740i E38

Acquired My Very First BMW - 1998 E38 740i

Last week I purchased my first BMW a decently maintained 1998 E38 740i in Schwarz Black over Tan Interior.

Only has just over 160k miles on it.

According to the previous owner who was an older gentleman who likes vintage BMWs, Interior is in a pretty good condition despite some minor interior issues. It even has the First Aid in the back seat still intact.

This was what he did during his ownership:

Maintenance
- Changed Power Steering Fluid
- Put on New Michelin Tires (Tread life is very good)
- Replaced the O2 sensors (Apparently not OEM)
- New Battery (From Die Hard)
- Catalytic Converter Replaced
- Timing Chain Guides and Belts replaced 55k miles ago
- Front struts replaced 5 years into his ownership
- Rear Shocks replaced

Add-Ons/Upgrades
- Had a Viper Alarm System Installed (He had this car since 2015 as I know Viper is kinda like a mid 2000s to early 2010s thing haha)
- Pioneer Audio System with Infotainment and Subwoofer (however it looks very mid 2010s)
-Backup Camera installed with the Pioneer System

So far I like driving it and it is pretty smooth once it gets going plus its a comfortable cruiser!

However, it still has some issues that I need to address mechanically and cosmetically. They are listed as follows.

Mechanical Issues to Address/Fixes

- 2 days after buying the car, it began bellowing alot of white smoke through the exhaust system on idle and start up .
(Found out this was the PCV Valve so I went ahead and replaced that which resolved this problem.)

- ABS Light is on previous owner stated that a sensor having to do with the ABS needs to be replaced.

- Check Engine Light is on ( I am going to have this diagnosed today on my Mechanic friend's scan tool. However from the past few days of driving it I have experienced some rough idling and shuddering intermittently while driving. Sometimes the car will stall from a cold start. From my research those appear to be symptoms of the Camshaft Position Sensor going bad thus the main or one of the reasons the Check Engine Light is on.)

- Air Intake Boot Hose is cracked and some outside air is able to escape in. (I have a new one ordered that should be delivered today. This might also fix issues I stated in the point above.)

So far I have replaced the PCV Valve and did a full oil and filter change on the 740i this past weekend and next up is replacing the Intake Boot Hose today.

Cosmetic Issues to Address/Fixes

-Headlights fogged up (I went ahead and got a kit to restore the headlights and was able to restore them to a near new-condition)

- One of the bulbs in the driver side headlight is out. (I plan on either replacing the bulb or swapping in new headlights entirely)

- Left side grille insert is cracked (I plan on replacing the entire grille and chrome surround for it)

- Cupholder in center dash is completely in-operable (not sure what I will do about this yet lol)

- Upper Body of the car on the sides could us a paint buff.

- Glove compartment latch is broken (Previous owner went ahead and had the latch pulled off and had the Glovebox literally nailed shut lmao) I might replace this but it'll be one of the last things I do haha

Any suggestions or helpful advice as I embark on this journey of E38 Ownership?

P.S. I still intend to live up to my username as I still desire to have a modern M5 (or M3)
Appreciate 1
SW111537.00
      Today, 12:11 PM   #2
SW111
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M235

Garage List
2014 Volvo XC70  [0.00]
2016 M235i  [0.00]
I love those shorty E38s. Congratulations. Have fun with it.

Last edited by SW111; Today at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Added congratulations
Appreciate 1
MarcoF90112.00