New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Today, 02:34 PM   #1
maximuspersie
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X5

Damaged undercarriage with large bump on the road

Question about crack in undercarriage covering

I was driving my 24 x5 on an uneven road in the UP of Michigan and after cleaning a large bump with the driver side front wheel, the underside of the car hit the bump and my car briefly got stuck due to the drivers side wheel not having traction. After reversing and getting un-stuck I looked under the car and found this crack in the plastic undercarriage cover behind the drivers side wheel and a little towards the center of the car. Looks like scratched underhood shield and cracked undercarriage cover. My questions are:

1. What is the likelihood of damage underneath the cover (and what components could potentially be damaged)?
2. Is the car safe to drive 7 hrs home, or should I have it inspected by a local mechanic to make sure? Is it necessary to replace it? Is this expensive repair or something I can do myself?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:59 PM   #2
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Would help if you posted a picture, just guesses on where it is cracked or how bad.
      Today, 04:03 PM   #3
maximuspersie
Registered
Rep

Sorry just added the pics didn’t realize it did not go through, first time posting
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:14 PM   #4
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Unless it drives somehow differently I would drive it home. From what it looks like you have gouges in the plastic tray and scratches in the metal. I think highly unlikely you actually bent something structural.

I would probably eventually replace the plastic but from what I can see it should be pretty easy to replace and you can see the bolts that have to be removed. I can't tell how big this tray is or if it eventually get more difficult.

Metal scratches are in an aluminum tray/cover? If aluminum I wouldn't bother doing anything with it.

Just my thoughts.
      Today, 04:42 PM   #5
chefwong
Major
Rep

Drives: X5

Skid Plate and Reinforcement Plate look fine IMO....If it's a leaser, I'd leave it alone.,, If it's a keeper than I would keep me eyes on crashed x5 part out
Appreciate 1
      Today, 06:00 PM   #6
maximuspersie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Unless it drives somehow differently I would drive it home. From what it looks like you have gouges in the plastic tray and scratches in the metal. I think highly unlikely you actually bent something structural.

I would probably eventually replace the plastic but from what I can see it should be pretty easy to replace and you can see the bolts that have to be removed. I can't tell how big this tray is or if it eventually get more difficult.

Metal scratches are in an aluminum tray/cover? If aluminum I wouldn't bother doing anything with it.

Just my thoughts.
Ok thanks. I think the scratched metal part is aluminum tho not completely sure. I was expecting to see oil pan there but seems like the metal is covering it
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:02 PM   #7
maximuspersie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Skid Plate and Reinforcement Plate look fine IMO....If it's a leaser, I'd leave it alone.,, If it's a keeper than I would keep me eyes on crashed x5 part out
Awesome thanks. This is definitely a keeper. Do you know what specific parts I should be looking for? Definitely a newbie, found some diagrams online but they are very descriptive
Appreciate 0