New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Today, 01:33 PM   #45
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
That's the key thing... you cannot control the vast majority of emergency situations. The ability to stop and change direction is everything.
I recommend avoiding all emergency situations and accidents, just seems like the wise thing to do.
      Today, 01:54 PM   #46
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I drive my AS4s all seasons but I’m also not stupid. I take my truck if the weather is overly crappy.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:50 PM   #47
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
its the sudden braking and turning that will get you.
That's kinda my argument for running quality all seasons in a place with moderate winters where temps are routinely 15 to 45 degrees, sub 30" total snow falls (typically 1" to 3" snow events), rarely snow on the streets except a day or so after a snow event, etc.

I've had winter tires and they are pretty damn good in sub 4" snow and extreme sub zero cold, but once temps get above 35 degrees or so, winter tire traction degrades. Even worse with true snow tires. Handling and braking are negatively affected and it gets almost dangerous above 50. That's why I run quality all seasons in the Kansas City which has moderate winters and temps usually 20-45 degrees. If there is snow on all the streets, I won't take my all season-equipped cars out unless I absolutely need to. I'm not afraid to drive in light snow, rather it's the other drivers I don't trust. There are very few reasons that I must be out in the snow and if I must go, I'll take my wife's 4Runner unless of course I got stuck in a situation where it snowed while I was out in my M235 or Cayman. That would be odd as I watch the weather fairly closely on my phone.
      Today, 02:54 PM   #48
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

OP lives downtown Toronto, he ain't going fucking nowhere if it properly snows, and I mean fucking nowhere. The traffic will be at a standstill. The roads are flat, arrow straight and plowed and TBH it has barely snowed the last 7 or so winters out of the last 10. Literally all you need winter tyres for here is stop signs to help with braking.
Appreciate 0