New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #67
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I think many of the members on this board drive like you do. As I've aged, I've slowed down a bit, but basically drive in just the manner you describe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
to sum it up, we drive like native German drivers, or at least we aspire to be?
I think “many” may be too strong of a word. I’ve read an awful lot of forum members say they drive like grannies. I must say it’s hard for me to grasp why people spend more money on a BMW than a Prius and then drive their BMW like it’s a Prius.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #68
Belair62
Rep

Drives: BMW E89 Titanium /Coral 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I agree with this. In all honesty, besides the safety issue, a primary reason I wear one is the security it gives of holding me in the driver’s seat and I need that for the way I drive. Lots of people would call me an aggressive driver. I call myself a focused, purposeful, and intentional driver. Basically, I never drive like I’m on a Sunday afternoon stroll. I always drive like I have somewhere to go and I’m not interested in taking my time getting there. I’m not rude and I follow the rules of the road pretty strictly, I signal my intentions every single time, I don’t weave in and out of traffic, but I drive with purpose and I don’t dilly dally. Even though I do not drive slowly my friends have never complained that my driving causes them to feel uncomfortable and they are always very willing for me to do the driving. I will give one caveat to Sunday style driving. I love to drive up the two lane, Sheridan Road, on the north shore in Chicago, it is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m perfectly happy to drive 35 - 40 mph (which is still over the 30 mph limit ) and take my time to enjoy that drive.
Sheridan rd. thru the ravines is a great ride !
Appreciate 1
      Today, 06:52 AM   #69
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupsoup View Post
Yeah it's definitely not an intelligence thing. I've just seen enough crazy shit on the roads that I'm not going to let someone else's phone addiction kill me. Simple as that. It's not me I'm worried about causing the accident, and I'm sure as hell not going to check out because of something as simple as a seatbelt.

As to the comfort argument. Just wear the damn thing every time and you'll stop even noticing it's there. Unless you're like 400 lbs then you got other issues you need to deal with that aren't the seatbelts fault.
It's absolutely an intelligence thing. You have to be a grade A dumbass to not wear one. Period.

You can say "I know someone mesna level smart who doesn't" but guess what they're not as smart as you, or they think, because they CLEARLY don't understand physics or statistics.

That said, I think we should make it illegal to wear seatbelts. We need more people who are smart enough to think critically and less morons. This would be probably the most effective Darwin weed out thing we could do. Said law would obviously never be enforced, it's just there to give the mouth breathers an excuse to get themselves out of the gene pool.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:29 AM   #70
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think “many” may be too strong of a word. I’ve read an awful lot of forum members say they drive like grannies. I must say it’s hard for me to grasp why people spend more money on a BMW than a Prius and then drive their BMW like it’s a Prius.
You've answered why BMW as a brand is where it is now.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:25 AM   #71
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
It's absolutely an intelligence thing. You have to be a grade A dumbass to not wear one. Period.

You can say "I know someone mesna level smart who doesn't" but guess what they're not as smart as you, or they think, because they CLEARLY don't understand physics or statistics.

That said, I think we should make it illegal to wear seatbelts. We need more people who are smart enough to think critically and less morons. This would be probably the most effective Darwin weed out thing we could do. Said law would obviously never be enforced, it's just there to give the mouth breathers an excuse to get themselves out of the gene pool.
Motorcycles.... ?

Just curious for zx10 and me... not a flame.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:26 AM   #72
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You've answered why BMW as a brand is where it is now.
Wham! right squarely on the nail's head.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 02:31 PM   #73
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Motorcycles.... ?

Just curious for zx10 and me... not a flame.
Motorcyclists should be banned from wearing leathers or helmets or sunglasses. Full raw dog mode only. Not at all enforced as a law of course, but just a way to speed up evolution.

You mean if motorcyclists understand physics? Some of them do. Some of them have good complexes. Pretty easy to tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:58 PM   #74
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

The number one cause of death in a vehicle in Alabama is the single car accident where they left the road and hit a pole, tree, or ditch and were NOT wearing a seat belt. I see it every night in the news.

I started automatically wearing a seat belt when I got my 1959 MGA roadster in 1965, it was the only way I could stay behind the wheel the way I drove it. After I joined the Navy in 1969 I was involved in two accidents (wearing a seat belt) within a month of each other as a passenger in vehicle and I know I would not be here now after the second one had I not had a belt on, as he slid off the road and hit a tree on my side just forward of the A pillar. Now 60 years later I feel naked without it.

I'll also add that I have never been in an accident as a driver all those years... until two weeks ago when I failed to see the deer running in the shadows. She got me.
Appreciate 0