New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Today, 05:00 AM   #67
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

simply, all EU politicians were sure that all EU citizens would have started buying EVs without any problems. But the fact is that an EV cost too much, and a single charge isn't cheap as stated at all. Evs doesn't have the promised range, etc. let me say...Evs aren't "democratics"...and maybe...in such cases....are just a toy for rich boys. For sure, EVs maybe are the future, but it cannot be imposed this way! Result? We don't want them. Applause for those politicians, who shout "green deal" going to their "green meetings/rallies" with their pollutive private jets. As we say here in Italy, "you must do what we tell you to do....but don't don't do what we do...).
The only thing that matter, is that people aren't stupid as they think they are.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:26 AM   #68
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxroadrage View Post
Shrinking the industry was the true goal of the Ban. They want to get rid of private transportation.
ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:36 AM   #69
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
It’s easy to conflate the US and European energy landscapes, but they’re different. I’d agree that in the US an ICEV ban wouldn’t make sense for a whole range of reasons.

The expansion of EVs in the UK is happening in an open market, with no government subsidies of either the car or energy companies. As it stands there’s no imposition going on and still each year, diesel and petrol ales increasingly gives way to electric. Purely on the basis of consumer choice.

But if this continues - and the potential minimum size EV market is only 6% saturated so far - then by the time we hit even a moderate market saturation, then most of the EVs we’ll have bought will be Chinese. And our domestic car manufacturing base will be decimated.

Tariffs alone won’t remedy this. We need a domestic European manufacturing base that’s competitive with Chinese EVs and as it stands, they’re not moving fast enough. The target EU date for ‘only EVs’ (which includes hybrids, by the way) is not arbitrary - if they can’t hit it by then, then they’re dead in the water anyway.

In effect, a European car CEO who says the date is “unrealistic” is admitting their own failure. Come that date, if they haven’t reached the point where they can make the EVs the market will want - at a price competitive with the Chinese - then they’re doomed.

None of this is anything to do with global heating, the climate crisis or left-wing ideology. It’s raw economics. It’s the parallel of Detroit in the 70s/80s. And when the likes of VAG and Stellantis do hit the brick wall of Chinese exports, they’ll be the first to come whining back to government for taxpayer handouts. The same governments they criticised for recognising the challenge, and setting the EV target in the first place.

Last edited by msej449; Today at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:56 PM   #70
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Nobody will ever be competitive with Chinese manufacturing. They use slave labor, unpaid prison labor, and dump products below cost to manufacture to drive competition out of business.

You can't hold back the tide of loss leaders without tariffs or flat out banning Chinese imports.
Appreciate 0