United_States
Rep

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Forcing EVs only hurts the poor people.

Almost no one owns only an EV. They have at least 1 or 2 more vehicles.
CA bans all ICE sales by 2035. CA is going to have the largest number of garages and 'old ICE' cars in the US.

I can't drive into boston, leave my EV for a week, come back from my business trip and make it home in the winter. The average brand new EV has 234 miles. 10 years old it will have ~100 miles of range. EVs lose 40% of range in the cold winter. So now I have 60 fucking miles.

My diesel x5 gets me roughly 550 on a fill up. Doesn't matter how old it gets. Same MPG.

No one ever talks about the inherent degradation of EV batteries at the rate of 2-3% per year.

No one puts a new engine in their car at year 10. No one will put a new EV battery pack in at year 10 for 14k. That is like a brand new engine and transmission installed + dealership labor rates.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/02/gm-of...recall-fiasco/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/family-...more-than-car/

After only 60,000 miles, the 2014 Ford Focus Electric’s dash lit up like Christmas. Shortly after that, it died altogether. At this point, Siwinski’s granddad stepped in to help.

“Turns out, this is a pretty common problem for this particular car,” he said. “The Ford dealership had advised us that we could replace the battery. It would only cost $14,000.”

The worst part about this news was that the $14,000 was only for the parts; this didn’t include installation labor.
8 years old. 60k miles.
junk
and the battery pack is discontinued so even if they were to pay the 14k they are SOL
8 years old and the battery pack is disco'd?
Talk about throw away cars. Know what mines all the Lithium out of the ground? Diesels. NOT EVs.

Now why push EVs you might ask? The goal is for you to never own a car so you are 100% reliable on other people, hopefully public transport EVs. So they can track you and keep you where they want. I know it may sound stupid but the desire is to end private ownership of vehicles. When you can control your populace there is a lot you can get away with. The difference is just how you go about it. China's way or ours.

As said in this thread mining lithium is done by diesels, not EVs. and China can pollute all it wants.

Example, my work place is a big mill building. many companies. roughly 2k cars. You know how much power 2k EVs draw all at once after their morning commute? Well you say they could space the charging out, sure wat if I have to leave in an emergency and pick up my kid but the car was not set to charge until 2pm? What if I am a traveling sales person and need a charge right away? I then have to pay for an instant charge? The whole thing is so none well thought out. Take any city let's say Boston, the # of cars in it. Then you can calc the amount of current draw 80% of them will need all at the same time morning and night 9am 6pm. There is not NEARLY enough infrastructure in place or will be in place to supply that much power. That is just for EVs. Let alone lights, and everything else you have to power. The cost is astronomical to make a city actually EV ready and each city will need a dedicated nuke plant to supply the energy. It would make Boston's Big Dig look like a highschool fair project in terms of scale and cost. Now you want to do this to every major city, there is not enough tax money to make it work even if the FED just keeping printing.

TLR: EVs are not the answer and again poor people miss out. Just like Biden's 20k college refund. Poor people miss out, the well off do even better. Same ol Same ol. Poors will just drive older and shittier cars because they rent and can't afford an EV ready house/apartment. The divide just gets bigger.