Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
The EVIL cameras can still come in at about the same price as the cheap DSLRs, so I don't really understand the reasoning to look at one, unless you want the Canon one that has a ridiculous zoom range... And most, if not all of them don't let you shoot RAW.

I talked my dad into getting one of these because he didn't want to mess about with a DSLR and he is unwilling to learn how to shoot raw, it's just too over his head/doesn't want to learn. He didn't see satisfied with only 3x zoom on the little point and shoots, so it was the only logical solution. He loves the EVIL camera. So he's pretty happy with the decision. That's actually the second person I've talked into getting one... Canon should pay me...
The reason to go EVIL is size, not price.

If you want to match DSLR crop-sensor capabilities with an EVIL, then you have to get one that'll shoot RAW. I think they're available, but I haven't truly researched the format. I think that in the $500 to $700 range you can challenge DSLR crop-sensors, particularly at the wide end of focal lengths.