06-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #8283
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Regardless, that is a sweet pic. Nice work!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Grand Canyon after snow:

Canon has improved Digital Photo Professional ("DPP"), their RAW conversion software, to include Digital Lens Optimization ("DLO"). DLO corrects for barrel distortion, pincushion, chromatic aberration, astigmatism, vignetting, softness, etc. To process the above image in DPP, I rotated the horizon a fraction of a degree, added an S-curve to the RGB and applied DLO. You can link to Flickr by clicking on the image and seeing a larger file to compare to the DxO version that follows it in my Photostream. The DPP detail advantage is stunning.`

This is Canon-only, but free to Canon owners. Make sure that you have the latest version of DPP installed (dated June 2012) then open it with an image open. Go to Tools then Lens and then Update the lens inventory to match your Canon lenses. One more reason to stick with Canon lenses.

I've made this point in the past, prime lenses no longer have an big advantage over zooms in IQ, when you consider and compare images after processing with good DLO software. (LR and DxO also have DLO, but I think that the DPP version may be superior). You can't just look at MTF charts and uncorrected image comparisons. You have to examine corrected images.

Dave
Excellent info, Dave, and nice shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
writing this from italy.. what a great place to live.. hope i can get some nice shots..
Hope to see some photos soon. Out of all of my travels in the military, I never got to visit anywhere as a tourist and actually enjoy the visit. I even stopped in Italy once, but that was just to refuel enroute to Iraq.

Another shot from yesterday:

Waukesha by mkrepp, on Flickr